Fwd: NCHHSTP Leadership Announcement

  • S. Alex Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      FYI

      From: NPIN Special Announcements
      Date: June 20, 2013, 11:54:49 AM EDT
      Subject: NCHHSTP Leadership Announcement

      NCHHSTP Leadership Announcement

      Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

      Bookmark and ShareCDC Letterhead

      June 20, 2013

      Dear Colleagues,

      I am excited to share with you the appointment of Dr. Jonathan (Jono) Mermin as Director of the National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB prevention (NCHHSTP), starting July 25, 2013. Please see below a more detailed announcement released today from CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden. One of the impressive trademarks of NCHHSTP is the strong partnerships that you all bring to help advance our critical public health mission, and I know that Dr. Mermin can count on your continued support. Over the next few weeks, I will be working closely with him to ensure a smooth transition. I invite you to join me in welcoming him to his new NCHHSTP leadership role

      Rima F. Khabbaz, M.D.
      Deputy Director for Infectious Diseases

      Director, Office of Infectious Diseases

      Acting Director, NCHHSTP

      I am pleased to announce that beginning July 25, 2013, Jonathan “Jono” Mermin, MD, MPH, will serve as director of the National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP).

      Jono’s experience as director of the Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention (DHAP) and his efforts to fight HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, and other emerging infections in Africa give him a unique perspective in addressing NCHHSTP’s lifesaving mission.  He has led CDC programs in Kenya and Uganda, and served as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ public health attaché for the U.S. Embassy.

      A physician trained in internal medicine and preventive medicine, Jono joined CDC in 1995 as an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer in Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases.  From 1997 to 1998, he worked in the California Department of Health Services in infectious disease control.  In 1999, he became the CDC Country Director in Uganda where he oversaw ground-breaking HIV prevention and care programs that focused on practical, evidence-based interventions.  This included the first antiretroviral treatment program funded by CDC outside the U.S., the development of a basic care package that was incorporated into World Health Organization guidelines, and the first nationally-representative HIV survey in Africa that estimated treatment and care coverage and examined risk factors for recent infection.

      In 2006, Jono was named CDC Country Director in Kenya, where he oversaw program and research activities supported by seven CDC centers.  In 2009, he returned to Atlanta to lead CDC’s domestic HIV prevention activities at DHAP.  He worked to align efforts with scientific evidence and improve HIV prevention, including within the health care sector.

      Jono is a graduate of Harvard College and Stanford University School of Medicine, and received his MPH from Emory University.  He is a co-author of more than 150 scientific articles.

      To ensure a smooth leadership transition, Jono will work closely with the director of the Office of Infectious Diseases, Rima Khabbaz, MD.   I want to thank Rima, who has kindly served as the acting director of NCHHSTP, for her excellent work over the past few months.

      Thomas R. Frieden, MD, MPH

      Director, CDC, and

      Administrator, ATSDR