Happy New Years Brothers!!

  • Renol Ratchford
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
      Greetings and Happy New Years To All,

      To date, it has been over 2 long years since I've been actively involved in the BYMSM workgroup and the community which we so passionately serve.  For those who may have forgotten, I am Renol L. Ratchford, who've worked for several prominent Black Gay organizations across the country such as Us Helping Us, The Leadership Forum, SMAAC Youth Center, Renaissance III, Inc. and People of Color in Crisis.  I've also participated on several advisory boards:  JSU's SAM/CBA, NAESM's Young Adult Program (West Region Delegate and we can't forget the BYMSM & TG National Workgroup.

      As we began to set forth goals and aspirations for 2008, I personally would like to pay homage to those who've helped paved the way a path of success and guidance in this field we call HIV prevention.  Roosevelt Mosby, Jr., Dr. Ron Simmons, Alvin Quamina, Michael Roberson, Gary English, Rudy Carn, Dr. Mark Colomb, Al Forbes, Erise Williams, Jr., Anthony Fox, Lamont Evans and many others.  To you I owe much Respect!!

      Never shall I forget those who considered us the next great leaders of HIV prevention:  Alex Williams, Donato Clark, Kevin Bynes, Kentwaun, Robbie Rob, Father Jay, the Orignial BYMSM Workgroup that met at the NAESM's AAMUAA in Charlotte, NC, SMAAC Youth Center, Colours Philly, Atlanta brothers, Chicago brothers, Houston brothers, DC brothers, LA brothers and the NYC brothers.

      Personally and professional, I've learned from the past and look towards the future to remain connected and committed to this community, my community of Black Same Gender Loving Brothers.  Much Love and Light!!  As Always, Keep me advised!!

      Renol L. Ratchford
      HIV Prevention Coordinator
      Washington University/Project ARK
      4169 Laclede Ave.
      St. Louis, Missouri 63108
      314.535.7275 (o)
      314.766.8976 (c)

    • A L Forbes Consulting Services
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
        Good to hear from you Renol. I hope that the New Year will bring you and the other BYMSM workgroup members Happiness and Prosperity.

        There is still much work that needs to be done to stop HIV infections among BYMSM.

        Peace and Blessings

      • kevinebynes@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
          Thanks for the shout out Renol! Good to hear from u!!!
          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

[...]

          Ratchford_R@ <mailto:Ratchford_R@...> kids.wustl.edu

          ----------------
          Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

          ----------------
          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>
        • A L Forbes Consulting Services
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
            Happy New Year!

            I didn't spend much time catching up with you in Atl, but I look forward to seeing you at one of the national conferences in '08.

            Keep up the good work!

            Peace and Blessings

            Renol Ratchford wrote:

[...]

            Ratchford_R@ kids.wustl.edu

            ----------------

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:BYMSMworkgroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:BYMSMworkgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • alex@pansaw.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
              Renol,

              I am more than pleased to see that you have reactivated your participation in this forum. Your message could not have been more timely as the BYMSM Workgroup may want to consider following your example, by using this as an opportunity to refocus our individual efforts into a national movement.

              As the Iowa Caucus nears an end, we are 10 months from electing a new President of the United States; and 12 months from a formal changing of the guard at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. As we navigate this historic time in which a black man and a woman have emerged as serious contenders for the Presidency, we must begin to consider the policies, legislation and the type of impact these individuals will have on the rate of HIV infection among black Y/MSM.

              While this may not be considered a bugle horn's call to attention (for some), this does represent a new opportunity for others. Renol is correct! Many of us were publicly (and others discreetly) selected as the "next great leaders in HIV prevention" and to that end we must unite our efforts to generate a national impact for our calling to be realized.

              Yes, I am calling for another meeting of the minds to occur, but in 2008 the process must be different as to acknowledge the short comming of our previous efforts. I will also acknowledge the existence of gaps in knowledge, experience and skill sets among those of us that are ready and prepared to "work" on this issue.

              I would like to open this forum for discussion and a healthy debate on how we move forward. The goals of which are the following:
              - the development of an agenda for a face-to-face gathering;
              - identification of at least one goal to work towards over the next 12 months;
              - convene a briefing opportunity with the National Black Gay Men's Advocacy Coalition as it relates to the state of affairs and the legislative agenda (regarding BYMSM); and
              - a call for papers examining the efforts of US cities, states and the federal government's plan to stem the tide of the domestic HIV epidemic.

              Thoughts and comments are welcome.

              -Alex

            • markjason02@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
                *walks in*

                *looks around*

                *looks at location*

                *whispers*

                She surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre does get around dont she ????

                LOL- On a serious note, Alex- WELCOME BACK, RENOL !!!! I concur with Alex's comments-we have often talked of nationalizing this thing- we need to set about the difficult task of moving from talk to action with regards to this.  As most of you know, I am not directly working in the field anymore but what that means, for me, is that aside from my new job- I may have even more time to devote on a volunteer basis- I know we are all busy- but lets get started in 2008 !!!!

                Mark Jason McLaurin
                Executive Director
                New York State Black Gay Network
                103 125th Street, Suite 503
                New York, NY 10035
                (212) 828-9393-Voice
                (212) 828-1661- Fax

                check us out at:
                Website: www.nysbgn.org
                Website: www.fluidbodies.org

                Renol,    I am more than pleased to see that you have reactivated your participation in   this forum. Your message could not have been more timely as the BYMSM Workgroup   may want to consider following your example, by using this as an opportunity to   refocus our individual efforts into a national movement.     As the Iowa Caucus nears an end, we are 10 months from electing a new President   of the United States; and 12 months from a formal changing of the guard at 1600   Pennsylvania Avenue. As we navigate this historic time in which a black man and   a woman have emerged as serious contenders for the Presidency, we must begin to   consider the policies, legislation and the type of impact these individuals will   have on the rate of HIV infection among black Y/MSM.    While this may not be considered a bugle horn's call to attention (for some),   this does represent a new opportunity for others.  Renol is correct! Many of us   were publicly (and others discreetly) selected as the "next great leaders in HIV   prevention" and to that end we must unite our efforts to generate a national   impact for our calling to be realized.     Yes, I am calling for another meeting of the minds to occur, but in 2008 the   process must be different as to acknowledge the short comming of our previous   efforts. I will also acknowledge the existence of gaps in knowledge, experience   and skill sets among those of us that are ready and prepared to "work" on this   issue.    I would like to open this forum for discussion and a healthy debate on how we   move forward. The goals of which are the following:  - the development of an agenda for a face-to-face gathering;  - identification of at least one goal to work towards over the next 12 months;  - convene a briefing opportunity with the National Black Gay Men's Advocacy   Coalition as it relates to the state of affairs and the legislative agenda   (regarding  BYMSM); and  - a call for papers examining the efforts of US cities, states and the federal   government's plan to stem the tide of the domestic HIV epidemic.    Thoughts and comments are welcome.    -Alex  Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile    -----Original Message-----  From: Renol Ratchford <renolratchford@...>    Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:59:05   To:bymsmworkgroup@yahoogroups.com  Subject: [BYMSMworkgroup] Happy New  Years Brothers!!      Greetings and Happy New Years To All,       To date, it has been over 2 long years since I've been actively involved in the   BYMSM workgroup and the community which we so passionately serve.  For those who   may have forgotten, I am Renol L. Ratchford, who've worked for several prominent   Black Gay organizations across the country such as Us Helping Us, The Leadership   Forum, SMAAC Youth Center, Renaissance III, Inc. and People of Color in Crisis.    I've also participated on several advisory boards:  JSU's SAM/CBA, NAESM's Young   Adult Program (West Region Delegate and we can't forget the BYMSM & TG National   Workgroup.       As we began to set forth goals and aspirations for 2008, I personally would like   to pay homage to those who've helped paved the way a path of success and   guidance in this field we call HIV prevention.  Roosevelt Mosby, Jr., Dr. Ron   Simmons, Alvin Quamina, Michael Roberson, Gary English, Rudy Carn, Dr. Mark   Colomb, Al Forbes, Erise Williams, Jr., Anthony Fox, Lamont Evans and many   others.  To you I owe much Respect!!       Never shall I forget those who considered us the next great leaders of HIV   prevention:  Alex Williams, Donato Clark, Kevin Bynes, Kentwaun, Robbie Rob,   Father Jay, the Orignial BYMSM Workgroup that met at the NAESM's AAMUAA in   Charlotte, NC, SMAAC Youth Center, Colours Philly, Atlanta brothers, Chicago   brothers, Houston brothers, DC brothers, LA brothers and the NYC brothers.       Personally and professional, I've learned from the past and look towards the   future to remain connected and committed to this community, my community of   Black Same Gender Loving Brothers.  Much Love and Light!!  As Always, Keep me   advised!!       Renol L. Ratchford   HIV Prevention Coordinator   Washington University/Project ARK   4169 Laclede Ave.   St. Louis, Missouri 63108   314.535.7275 (o)   314.766.8976 (c)   Ratchford_R@ <mailto:Ratchford_R@...> kids.wustl.edu                         ----------------  Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your homepage. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>            Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BYMSMworkgroup/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BYMSMworkgroup/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      mailto:BYMSMworkgroup-digest@yahoogroups.com       mailto:BYMSMworkgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      BYMSMworkgroup-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • rswayzer@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
                  Great to hear from you, Renol.  I'm glad to know you are still involved in this fight.  There is still much to be done.  And no honey, we haven't forgotten you.  LOL

                  Robert

                  Robert Swayzer III, MPH, CHES
                  504-615-0582

                  Everytime I turn around, He's making a way somehow-----
                  Over and over again He's blessing me!

                • aef64@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Well hello long lost child of mine!  I have been asking around about you.  Glad to see that you are still on the battle field working against this epidemic.  Please give me a call when you get a chance  My number is 601-672-4978.  I am also do concur with Alex as well.