FW: FW: Position Available: CHAMP New York City Youth and CommunityOrganizer

  • Kevin Bynes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2007

      From: owner-comhe-l@... [mailto:owner-comhe-l@...] On Behalf Of Lynn Roberts
      Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:49 PM
      To: comhealumni-l@...; comhe-l@...
      Subject: Fwd: FW: Position Available: CHAMP New York City Youth and CommunityOrganizer

      Dear Colleagues:

      We are forwarding the enclosed employment opportunity on behalf of Lei Chou, Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP)

      Linda Battle

      Administrative Coordinator

      Office of HIV Prevention Planning & Contract Monitoring

      40 Worth Street, Rm. 1519

      New York, NY  10013

      Phone: (212) 788-7546

      Fax: (212 442-4121

      Email: lbattle@...

      ____

      Posted April 24, 2007

      Open Position: New York City Youth and Community Organizer

      The Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP) is a national organization bridging HIV/AIDS and struggles for human rights and social and economic justice. Our mission is to train and mobilize the next generation of the AIDS movement in the United States and to push for effective, evidence-based HIV prevention policies on a global scale. Our programs include training, technical assistance, policy analysis, strategy development, coalition-building, and strategic communications. Founded in 2003, we are a small but growing organization, with staff in New York City, Providence, RI, and Los Angeles.

      Job Description

      The New York City Youth and Community Organizer is responsible for implementing CHAMP s advocacy and education initiatives in New York City s five boroughs. Primary qualifications include experience in community organizing or outreach, familiarity with the ways that HIV/AIDS, youth, and racial issues affect communities in New York, and the commitment to broaden support for progressive HIV/AIDS, LGBT, racial justice, social justice, and women s issues and organizations. Competitive salary commensurate with experience; excellent vacation and health benefits.

      Responsibilities

      * As lead organizer of CHAMP s Find the Condoms in Your School campaign, plan and implement a successful campaign to increase condom access in New York City high schools.
      Recruit and support the organizing skills and leadership of students & part-time organizers
      Increase collaboration with HIV/AIDS and youth organizations
      Develop on-site campaigning groups at schools in the boroughs
      Facilitate campaign research, strategy development, and weekly planning meetings
      Conduct skills-building trainings
      Coordinate direct action, press work and other campaign tactics
      Document campaign work and progress
      * Coordinate speakers, logistics, and outreach for CHAMP s monthly public forums about the politics of HIV prevention
      * Collaborate and build relationships with other AIDS and social justice organizations in New York City
      * Provide long-distance support to condom access efforts in other parts of the country
      * Recruit and supervise volunteers and interns for our New York City office
      * Manage CHAMP s email lists, database, and online social networking sites

      Other Qualifications

      * Experience in community organizing, outreach, and/or policy work
      * Experience working with youth
      * Ability to work effectively with people from diverse racial, gender, sexuality and national backgrounds
      * Interest in or current knowledge of HIV/AIDS
      * Exceptional planning and organizational skills
      * Presentation skills and experience
      * Proficient writing and computer skills

      Start Date: ASAP

      To Apply

      Email, fax, or mail resume, detailed cover letter, and three professional references by May 15, 2007 to:
      James Learned
      Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP)
      32 Broadway, Suite 1801
      New York, NY 10004
      Fax: (401) 633-7793
      Email: CHAMP@... (Subject line: NYC Youth and Community Organizer)

      If you are not familiar with our work, we encourage you to learn more about our organization. Visit our website: www.champnetwork.org .

      CHAMP is committed to diversity. Applicants from historically underrepresented groups and AIDS-affected communities are strongly encouraged to apply.

      We will contact only those candidates whose professional experience meets our requirements. No phone calls please.

      The New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene is now offering information important for the health of all New Yorkers. To sign up for these new and valuable updates, log-on to our website at http://www.nyc.gov/health/email and select the NYC DOHMH updates you'd like to receive.

      IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email is meant only for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information that is legally privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.