2820Re: [BYMSMworkgroup] Making Room at the Table

  • Anthony Galloway
    Apr 9, 2014

      Hi gentlemen,

      Could their perhaps be a response from several groups representing our community? Similarly,  how MLK, Malcolm X, Shirley Chisolm,  and others worked in different ways to get to the same goal. We are the only oppressed group not taking a page out of that handbook.

      I think those who are disappointed by this situation must contact their local congresspeople. My thoughts are that we have to stop being docile in our approach,  recognize that if every time funding decisions are made and at every single turn we are left standing we might need to figure out why? Are there capacity issues, is the process unfair, or are these groups more engaged politically?

      We are seeing this play out across the country locally as well where African American institutions are being left behind in most cases because we allow it. Over the last 6 years, we have seen developments among three groups in the progressive community, white women, Latino/Hispanics, and mainstream LGBT. It's not too late!

      We have to realize that it will take all of us collectively leveraging our independent resources to stop situations like this in the future.

      Thanks for creating this platform to share our comments!

      Anthony Galloway

      On Apr 9, 2014 8:48 AM, "Rosimosby" <SMAACSED@...> wrote:

      So I guess I'm concern with this piece who get to decide what is the fundamental question! Cause NBGMAC, might be alright with all non-Black CBA providers, providing services to Black agency.  And why is Ernest and Senior Advisor speaking for a Nation of Black agency!

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 9, 2014, at 6:23 AM, Venton Jones <ventonjones@...> wrote:

      Hello All,

      Thank you Craig for updating the group on the activities that took place during the YBGLI Policy & Advocacy Summit in Atlanta last week. I just wanted to share some information I was able to gather re: NBGMAC’s involvement around the CDC CBA funding decision. Here is the response I received from the Chair, Ernest Hopkins when I made the inquiry.

      "NBGMAC executive committee has discussed the funding situation and the chair and senior advisor have met with CDC officials to learn why no historically Black-led organization was funded.  While NBGMAC leaders are deeply concerned about this outcome, it is important also to have gathered all the facts before we state a position. NBGMAC has asked the CDC to create a document that makes the African American expertise within each of the grantees transparent.   During this information gathering, we've learned that some organizations did not submit their proposals in time and others had technical problems.  Additionally, while Black-led organizations are not the prime for any of CBA awardees, there are key staff and subcontractors whose expertise will be critical.  We also know that each funded grantees was required to detail their capacity to serve the African American MSM population. Once we see what documentation the grantees used in their applications to make the case we can assess its credibility.

      The fundamental question: do the funded CDC CBA grantees have the expertise and capacity to serve African American MSM populations that they are funded to serve, can only be evaluated upon review and analysis of the additional information we have requested. When we receive and review it NBGMAC will share its findings.”

      I agree with Alex, “moving forward without a crafted message or an agreed upon collective agenda will result, yet again, in the federal government adopting a tone that is consistent with the attitude of "no urgency identified or need to act" because of community fragmentation.”  I definitely hear and acknowledge the frustrations stated in the thread.  Hopefully we can come together and be united in our efforts to address issues impacting the lives of young Black gay men.  However, for that to work, we have to be consistently talking to each other and not at each other.  In my work with both NBGMAC and YBGLI, I know their leadership will work with anyone willing to come to the table with constructive engagement.  If you want to continue to be updated on NBGMACs actions, I encourage you to reach out directly to Ernest.

      Much love,

      Venton

      On Apr 8, 2014, at 3:35 PM, S. Alex Williams <alex@...> wrote:

      Craig,

      These concerns, and others, have been shared with NBGMAC previously, though not necessarily with YBGLI before now. The response from NBGMAC has been less than inspiring, and at best, selectively heard. It appears that NBGMAC's strengths rest with the proactive development of new policies, and unfortunately not with advocacy efforts for, and the analysis/critique/mobilization of, existing policies.

      ---
      S. Alex Williams

      On Apr 8, 2014, at 12:56 PM, Craig Washington <craig.washington@...> wrote:

      Well put and thank you Alex. I appreciate your recommendations for the sharing of documents and the development of a continuation strategy. Have you or other colleagues expressed concerns for broader engagement of advocates by NBGMAC in the past. What has been the response(s)? Given the critical concerns you raised here, we need to coordinate some dialogue with NBGMAC to facilitate additional Q & A, feedback and recommendations between and among NBGMAC and YBGLI members and other advocates outside of those groups.

      -Craig Washington