2811Re: [BYMSMworkgroup] Fwd: Making Room at the Table

  • S. Alex Williams
    Apr 8, 2014
      Craig et. al.,

      I am appreciative of your insight into the affairs of the YBGLI group, and their Summit last week.

      I am also elated to hear of the individuals/groups that have voiced their concerns, about the CBA awards process; and, I am hopeful that these actions will yield a favorable response as it pertains to the lives of young black MSM, in the United States.

      With that said, I continue to be alarmed that the advocacy efforts, taken on behalf of black young MSM and the organizations that serve them, are done in isolation and without consultation from a larger group of advocates committed to a similar charge.

      The divide and conquer strategy is as old as time and has been previously deployed to dismount our efforts. Without the opportunity for our advocates to meet, among ourselves and set the agenda, historically, we have marched into these meetings (with CDC, and at times HHS) and demanded the world, to which the typical outcome was a dismissive action. CDC typically walks away from the collective process with a summary that is consistent with a message of "community fragmentation" and "indecisiveness"; and therefore, there is "no urgency identified or need to act."

      The fact of the matter is that when we engage in advocacy efforts that have no agenda or strategy informing it (like several small groups meeting independently with CDC, but without message cohesion), we have no indication as to the meeting content (as is the case with the YBGLI dialogue, with CDC, and the other exchanges had with CDC, by other groups and organizations, on this issue), how it was received or if the combined exchanges have yielded a promising tone from CDC.

      The opportunity to develop a collective follow-up strategy has been eliminated before salient points could be made (across efforts and meetings).

      My response, to those that have had (or are planning to have) an audience with CDC, would be to share your meeting summary documents. Create opportunities to identify meeting themes and develop an advocacy continuation strategy. Moving forward without a crafted message or an agreed upon collective agenda will result, yet again, in the federal government adopting a tone that is consistent with the attitude of "no urgency identified or need to act" because of community fragmentation. My two cents...

      ---
      S. Alex Williams

      On Apr 8, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Craig Washington <craig.washington@...> wrote:

      Correction---it was Day 2.