Pardini 45 Problem

  • billybe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
      I am having ejection problems with my GT 45. It seems that the
      extractor is pulling the case out only half way. I load with 3.8gr of
      BE with a 185gr SWC. The recoil spring is the shorter of the two that
      was included with the gun. The last round is pulled out of the chamber
      but just lays on top of the magazine. Have any suggestions? Thanks
    • toyotaroddy@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
        I don't know what the weight of the recoil springs are that you are using, but my guess is that the loads are too soft for the recoil spring. Is your .45 set with a scope or iron sights? As a tech note, the extractor does not pull the case out of the chamber. The only thing that the extractor does is provide a pivot point for the case when the case rim hits the ejector. It's possible that you need the extractor tuned, in that it isn't providing enough tension on the rim, but it's hard to tell without having the pistol in front of me. Assuming that the extractor has the correct tension, then the fact that an empty case sits in the pistol with the last round fire, is usually the indication of too light a load for the recoil spring.
        Roddy

        -- "billybe" <billybe@...> wrote:
        I am having ejection problems with my GT 45. It seems that the
        extractor is pulling the case out only half way. I load with 3.8gr of
        BE with a 185gr SWC. The recoil spring is the shorter of the two that
        was included with the gun. The last round is pulled out of the chamber
        but just lays on top of the magazine. Have any suggestions? Thanks

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • billybe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
          I will increase the load and also experiment with the other spring. I
          might call Larry's Guns and ask about the weight of each spring.
          Thanks for the reply.
        • David Dale
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
            --- In BULLSEYESHOOTERS@yahoogroups.com, "billybe" <billybe@...>
            wrote:

            > I am having ejection problems with my GT 45. It seems that the
            > extractor is pulling the case out only half way. I load with 3.8gr
            of
            > BE with a 185gr SWC. The recoil spring is the shorter of the two
            that
            > was included with the gun. The last round is pulled out of the
            chamber
            > but just lays on top of the magazine. Have any suggestions? Thanks

            "The recoil spring is the shorter of the two that
            was included with the gun" identifies half of the problem. If you
            want to play with light loads you have to get light springs and to
            accomplish meaningful testing you need to know the rating of your
            spring or springs.

            Light bullets like your 185 gr. need, relatively
            speaking, quite a bit more powder than 200 or 230 gr. bullets to
            develop adequate recoil impulse to properly cycle the action. You
            may find that a heavier bullet with less powder gives a softer, more
            gentle recoil than a lighter bullet with more powder. I shoot a 200
            gr. cast SWC with 3.6 grains of Winchester Super Target with a 10
            pound recoil spring for steel plate and Practical Pistol.

            It's been a long time since I shot Bullseye in a .45 ACP but it seems
            like I needed about 4.0 grains to get reliable function. Always work
            your loads up carefully and do not depend on my data or that of
            anyone else to be right for your gun without proper workup and
            testing. You might look at handloads.com for starting load
            suggestions. Wolff makes a great range of recoil springs for 1911s
            and Wilson Combat has a nice rollup with a spring assortment from 8
            to 18.5 pounds for about $30.
          • toyotaroddy@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
              Basically your loads are to light. On a technical note, the extractor does not pull the case out of the chamber. With no extractor in the pistol the gun would still operate, but the case would not eject. The only thing that the extractor does is to provide a tension/pivot point so the case is ejected when the rear of the case hits the ejector. Roddy