William Bullard and Hardy Bullard of Monroe County, Alabama

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
      Hi everyone,
      I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim and I live in Monroe County, Alabama. I've been researching my family line for many years and until recently thought one of my lines were Ballards.

      My 4th great-grandmother's grave has the name Jennet Ballard (1808-1886) on it, but research has led me to believe this was a mistake and should have been Bullard. I believe she was the wife of Hardy Bullard (between 1790-1810 and died before 1850), son of William and Frances Blakeney Bullard (William3 on Spencer Ardell Bullard's website, oldest son of Nathan Bullard and his first wife) who migrated to Monroe County, Alabama in the early 1800's.

      I'm looking forward to learning more about this family line and sharing the information that I have.

      Kim
    • Doug Bell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
        Be very careful. There is a Ballard family and a Bullard family in Monroe county, Alabama and they are not related. They were occasionally mixed up but mostly by modern transcribers. Back then the county officials seem to be able to tell the difference.

        It looks like Jennet Ballard was close to the Wiggins & Bayles family settlement in 1860. They lived around the River Ridge area west of Franklin.

        William Bullard's family was over at Perdue Hill near Claiborne.

        Do you have Jennet on the 1850 census for Monroe?

        There is no way to find a family on that one without looking at the original census. The indexed lists are mostly garbage because they can't read my gggg grandpa Dixon Hestle's handwriting and spelling. I think he dipped the feet of his chickens in the ink bottle and let them write the census.

        Doug
      • Kim
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
          Hi Doug,
          Thank you for the laugh with your chicken feet comment!

          I have tried connecting Jennet to the Ballards that lived here in the 1850's with no luck at all.

          One of the main reasons I believe Jennet was the wife of Hardy is the fact that the children in Hardy's household during the 1830 census and 1840 census correspond with the known children that were born to Jennet. Jennet's children were the same gender and relative ages as the children shown in Hardy's household.

          Also, although not definitive proof, Jennet's daughter Malisia Ann (my 3rd great-grandmother) had a son that she named Hardy.

          I don't take this as absolute truth as I know people can make mistakes, but my great-uncle gave me alot of information when he was alive. When he talked about Malisia Ann, he always called her "Malissie Bullard". I had sort of brushed off this information when I saw the name Ballard on Jennet's grave, but I wonder now if he wasn't correct in saying Malisia Ann's last name was Bullard.

          I have found Jennet's 1850 census record on Ancestry and her last name is transcribed as Balard. However, I have found it transcribed in other places as Bulard. Where would I find the original census to look at it?

          Marriage records don't help as the earliest ones found in Monroe County only date back to the 1830's.