Asa Lorenzo Bullard

  • Carole Hedger
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
      Hi all-
      I'm working on trying to put all my notes on Asa together, here's what I
      have-
      Asa Lorenzo Bullard b. Jan 1793 SC,d.28 Sep 1889 Johnson Co.TX
      s/o Wright Bullard (?)
      m. 1st Sarah Hamilton
      m. 2nd Rhoda Anderson
      Ch: Nathan b.1826
      Wiley b.1830
      John b.1831
      George b.1834
      Lorenzo Dow b.20 May 1833 (35?)IL
      Sarah Ann b. 10 May 1837
      Asa Dow b. 25 Dec 1845, near St.Louis MO
      Elijah b. 1869
      Mary b.1871

      I have more info/notes, and would like to compare. Then we can take it
      child by child and sort out descendants.

      I have a FGS from another researcher for Lorenzo Dow that says his
      mother was Sarah Hamilton, an Indian, and that Rhoda Anderson was his
      step-mother. A couple of sources of info on Asa Dow say his mother was
      Indian, and she died having him. That would make the last two ch. those
      of second wife.

      One source says Asa Lorenzo Bullard fought in the Black Hawk War. (early
      1830's).

      What do you all say?

      More later, Carole
    • SPENCEB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
        Carole, Sam, Berniece, and all,
        Compiling a file on Asa is a great idea. Sam Loyd and I have started
        looking at some of our sources and find conflicting information re birth year
        and military service. We had agreed to compile a list of all information and
        sources to be able to better evaluate these in our search for the truth. I am
        sure Sam will welcome a joint effort of all to compile this file as time
        permits. If most of you are as busy as I will be for the next few weeks, some
        work will need to wait until after Christmas.
        I am interested in any informations sources that gives Lorenzo as a middle
        name for Asa.
        Good researching.
        Spence
      • SPENCEB@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 1998
          Ron Hyden
          Thanks for the information on Asa Bullard. I will put it in my file. We
          will keep you in our Asa File for information re Asa.
          Spence Bullard
        • pcossey@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 1999
            Hi Carole,
            I have been comparing your info with mine, and it appears that we need to have a pow-wow. First
            of all, I had no record of Chloe Ann. This is important inormation! Second of all, I have children that you don't and you have children that I don't.
            Concerning the b-date of Asa, according to my records, his tombstone in the Bullard Cemetery, Johnson Co., Tex. reads: Asa Bullard Apr. 1, (1793? apparently difficult to read)-Sept. 8, 1889. Therefore the date we use is Apr 1793.
            As to his many wives and children, much of the info I have was taken by my father from Bill Parnell and is as follows:
            1st wife unknown, children:
            Lorenzo Bullard, May 20, 1835, Wayne Ill.
            I honestly don't see how this could be correct, as he is also listed as the child of M. Unless some of the other children I have for M. came from his first marriage.
            2nd wife, M., Children:
            Spencer b. 1826
            John b. 1831, Marion, Ill.
            Lorenzo (again)
            Sarah Ann, b. May 10, 1837
            Nathaniel b. Oct 22, 1840, Ill (mine)
            Luticia J. b. abt. 1842, Mo.
            Asa Dow, b. Dec 25, 1845, near St. Louis, Mo.
            I also have that M. died in child-birth with Asa on a wagon train to Texas.

            3rd wife, Sarah Hamilton, m. aft. 1838
            Liddy (apparently the only thing known about her is that she married Bill Needham, but take note of the next child.)
            Lydia, abt. 1842, Mo.
            Nancy D., abt. 1849, Ill.
            Abigale H. b. abt. 1854

            4th wife: Rhoda Anderson, m. 1867 Children:
            Elijah, b. abt. 1868, Tex.
            Mary, b. abt. 1871, Tex.

            John Bullard, b. 1831, was the husband of Sarah Ellen Hyden.

            Do any of you have sources on these children and spouses that can help me sort all of this out? If you have differing info, please let me know. Also, Carole, I would very much like to know where you got your info. Any and all help appreciated.
            Pam
          • Nieceie@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 1999
              Pam you are right about ASA LORENZO date of birth an death that also makes
              him old enough to be in the war of 1812 an it shows the (L) look at the
              civil war where boys 13 were in the RESERVE. I only knew asa l. wife as the
              indian I have never seen any thing with her name on it.( I am not saying this
              is not true) you can also fine Asa L. in young co.Tx. right now in Hill co.
              Tx. Census 1870 120-120-Asa Bullard, 68-m-?
              farmer ? S.c. Rhoda-38-f-
              John-38-m ILL
              F-15 ill
              Anderson William-? - m labor TX
              F-14-W- TX
              F-12-W- TX
              M-11-M-W-TX.
              ELISHA D.-7-M-TX.
              BULLARD ?-2-M-W-TX
              KILLION LILLY 11/12-F-W- TX.
              this is the census I cant read I think Sondra made some of the names out. if
              so if she has time she will post them. this will open a can of worms.I dont
              remember for sure who told me but Rhoda MARRIED A STWART. Ibelive I got this
              marriage lic. from my cousin EVA STATE OF TEXAS BROWN TEXAS MR J.? STWARD
              AND MRS RHODA BULLARD DAY OF JUNE A.D.1889
              YOU REMEMBER THE LETTER I POSTED TO OMA THE LADY WRITING THE LETTER SAID SHE
              KNEW RHODA AS MRS STWART. THE OTHER
              NAMES OF ASA CHILDREN WILL BE POSTED AN ASA l. BROTHERS AN SISTER WITH DATES.
              IT IS EASER FOR ME TO SEE WITH CAPITAL LETTERS I HOPE YOU DONT MINE. SO PAM
              WE WILL GET TO YOUR QUESTENS AN ANSWER WITH WHAT WE HAVE OK. RHODA'S
              GRANDDAUGHTER MATTIE BELL SLAUGHTER SMITH IS BURRIED AT EVER GREEN CEMETERY IN
              EL PASO, TEXAS. SHE REMARRIED LAST NAME SMITH HER SON'S BURRIED HER NEXT TO
              THEIR FATHER. ONE TOMBSTONE ON LEFT HARVY C. 1877-1947 MATTIE B.
              1885-1955 I HAVE BEEN THERE LOOKING AT THE PICTURE I TOOK NOW. MATTIE HAD
              LIVED IN ALPINE, TX. I DIDNT MEAN TO WRITE SO MUCH.I HAVE TO LEARN TO KEEO MY
              MOUTH SHUT. BERNIECE
            • cg.brandner@att.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 18, 1999
                My great great great grandfather was Asa Lorenzo Bullard, he was born in Illionis and was married to a Cherokee woman Chloe Anna I am told. I am interested in talking with any descendant of his. He was married three times. My great great grandfather was John Bullard. My great grandmother was Lillie Arilla Bullard that married a Walter Nobles. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
                Glenda
              • Shari Jones
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 18, 1999
                  Hi Glenda,

                  My GGGG grandfather was Asa Lorenzo Bullard only I show he was born in S.C.
                  His first wife was Chloe Anna, second- Sarah Hamilton third-?? and 4th
                  Rhoda.
                  My GGG grandfather was Lorenzo Dow Bullard, a brother to your John Bullard.
                  I am descended from his daughter Nancy Ann (Nannie) Bullard who married
                  James Lemuel Klepper. Another daughter of Lorenzo Dow, Rebecca Jane "Becky"
                  married a Lawrence Nobles.
                  Do you know anything more on the Cherokee heritage?
                  I'm new to researching so I don't have a whole lot of info, but will be glad
                  to share what I have.

                  Shari

                • Nieceie@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 19, 1999
                    I did e-mail you an it came back. Asa Loranzo Bullard is my g-g-grandfather.
                    where did you get the info. he was born in ILL. An his wifes name Chloe Anna?
                    would you know the name of Asa parents or Chole Anna?
                    Asa Loranzo Bullard my g-g-
                    Asa Dow Bullard my g-
                    Mathew M Bullard sr. my grandfather
                    Matthew M. Bullard Jr. my father
                    Ethel Berniece Bullard me
                    this is my line. I will help you as much as I can. I do genealogy to see
                    where I come from an for my kids, I love doing it.
                    If you are writing a book I do not want me or mine in it.
                    Sam Loyd is also from Asa L.
                    we are kin to the loyds with one "L" you ,Sam an I our grandfathers or
                    brothers.
                    thank you for sending your line. it is just great when you fine more kin an
                    in your line you get to put more of the puzzle together.
                    welcome
                    Berniece nieceie@...
                  • Nieceie@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 19, 1999
                      Shari thanks for writing I tried an couldnt get thur to Glenda. It is
                      greatttttt that there are more then 2? of us on the list from Asa
                      Loranzo's line now. with so much more info on our line. I do work on the
                      other lines to.
                      Have you by chance run into a Patrict BULLARD any where? he is on another
                      line but he is being hard to fine. if you run in to him could you please put
                      him on the onelist.
                      thanks
                      Berniece
                    • cg.brandner@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20, 1999
                        This question is for Spencer Bullard - My great great great grandfather was Asa Lorenzo Bullard born in 1793 in South Carolina. He first shows up in Cook County Texas census in 1860. Could your Lorenzo have left Ill in 1859 coming to Texas to meet with Asa?
                        Thank you Glenda
                      • Penny Dennis Holmes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 20, 1999
                          Glenda,

                          I know that my Nathan Bullard and family came to Tx in 1860.... Although
                          they are on no census, anywhere (TX OK ILL ) that I have found for 1860...

                          But his daughter, Martha Patsy Bullard marr. John A Miller in Grayson Co Tx
                          in 1860...John A Miller was living in his family home in 1850's in Wayne Co
                          ILL, same as Nathan Bullard and his family and all the other Bullards around
                          there.

                          So, I would not doubt that several of them traveled to Tx (and OK) about the
                          same time, if not together.

                          Penny