Re: #677

  • Frances Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005

      Ladies, please read -- men, pass on to the  ladies that you know...

      I knew about the red light on cars, but not  the *677.

      It was about 1:00 PM in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to  visit
      a friend.

      An UNMARKED  police car pulled up behind her and put his  lights on.
      Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age)  and have
      always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the  side of
      the
      road, but rather wait until they get a gas station, etc.

      Lauren had actually listened to her parents  advice, and promptly called
      *677 on her cell phone to tell the police  dispatcher that she would not
      pull over right away. She proceeded to tell  the dispatcher that there
      was
      an unmarked police car with a flashing red  light on his rooftop behind
      her.

      The dispatcher checked to see if there  were police cars where she was
      and there weren't, and he told her to keep  driving, remain calm and
      that he had back up already on the way.

      Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her  and  the unmarked car behind

      her.

      One policeman went to her side and the  others surrounded the car behind.
      They pulled the guy from the car and  tackled him to the ground. The man
      was a convicted rapist and wanted for  other crimes.

      I never knew about the *677 Cell Phone  Feature, but especially for a
      woman alone in a car, you should not pull  over for an unmarked car.

      Apparently police have to respect your right to  keep going to a "safe"
      place.
      You obviously need to make some signals that  you acknowledge
      them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *677 like  Lauren did.
      Too bad the cell phone companies don't  generally give you this little
      bit of wonderful information.

      *Speaking to a service representative at  **Bell** Mobility confirmed
      that
      *677 was a direct link to OPP Dispatch.  So, now it's your turn to let
      your
      friends know about *677.

      Send this to every woman you know, it may  save a
      life.

      *I just called Cingular and it was confirmed this *677 will reach a
      police
      station on a Cingular cellular phone.

      FBD