Sorry, Possible Virus.

  • sbullard@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
      Hi all,

      I may save sent you a virus without knowing it. I have currently
      deleted it from my system (if this information is true and I believe it is).
      The following provides instructions on how to check your system and to
      delete the file.

      Sorry

      Spencer Bullard

      From: "Carol Strickland" <cstrickln@...> Save Address

      To: "Mona Hart" <mohart4@...>
      Subject: Sorry
      Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:08:38 -0800 [View Source]

      Dear Friends & Family:

      Apparently I received a virus that is automatically passed to everyone in my
      address book. Since you are in my address book, you will probably find it in
      your computer too. The virus is called jdbg* and is not detected by Norton
      or McAffe anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
      damaging your system. It is sent automatically by 'messenger' using your
      address book whether you sent it does your contacts or not. Here is how to
      check for the virus and how to get rid of it. Please do this ASAP.

      1) Go to start, then click your 'Find' or 'Search" option.

      2) In the folder option, type the name jdbgm

      3) Be sure to search your C: drive and all the subfolders and any other

      drives you may have.

      4) Click 'find now' or 'begin search'

      5) The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
      IT!!!!

      6) Go to edit (on the menu bar) and choose 'Select all' to highlight the
      files without

      opening them.

      7) Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete. The files will then
      go to your

      recycle bin.

      8) After you have deleted the files, go to the recycle bin, highlight the
      files without opening them (only single click on them) and delete them from
      the recycle bin. If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in
      your address book so they can eradicate the virus from their own address
      books. TO DO THIS:

      1) Start a new e-mail message

      2) Click the icon address Book next to 'TO'

      3) Highlight every name and add to 'BCC'

      4) Copy this message and paste to the e-mail

      Sorry for any inconvenience!

      Carol
    • leonaswain_ay@cevi.ch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
        Message of the CeviNet Postmaster (postmaster@...):

        The following message could not have been delivered as the
        receiver was not known!
        Check the receivers address and correct it.

        Die folgende Meldung konnte nicht abgeliefert werden, da der
        Empfaenger nicht bekannt war!
        Ueberpruefen Sie die Adresse des Empfaengers und korrigieren
        Sie diese.

        Unknown user / unbekannter Benutzer: leonaswain_ay

      • w Siemers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
          check out this from symantek

          http://symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

        • leonaswain_ay@cevi.ch

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
              I hope I'm not too late. This "possible" virus is a hoax. Please go
              to the following website
              http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html
              for details. This is a hoax that has been going around for a couple
              of years. Please check out the Symantec site before deleting any
              files that may be a "possible" virus.

              Bobbi