Research relating to Sarah STROUD

  • sbullard@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
      Hi all,
      Things have been quiet for a while. I can appreciate that since it has
      been a busy summer and fall here. Hope all is well as it is here in Colorado.

      I thought I would pass along a little research I have been doing on our
      STROUD side.

      NOTE ON LUTSON STROUD JR OF DUPLIN COUNTY, 1780

      There is reliable evidence showing that SARAH STROUD who married Nathan
      BULLARD January 21, 1795 in Duplin County North Carolina (see Appendix D) is
      a daughter of Lutson STROUD Jr. Lutson STROUD Jr. named his wife and
      children in his Will written in 1797 and probated in Duplin County, NC in
      1798. The six children named are: Lewis, Selah, Winny, Isaac, Zelpha, and
      Able Croom. His wife was Hannah CROOM. I have verified that the handwritten
      copy of Lutson STROUD Jr Will on file in the North Carolina State Archives
      did in fact spell his daughter�s name as SELAH.
      I am certain that this SELAH is the daughter who married Nathan
      BULLARD as SARAH STROUD as noted above. This conclusion is based on the
      following facts:
      1. Lutson STROUD and William STROUD are both named on the same Duplin
      County District 1873 Tax List with William BULLARD, father of Nathan. (They
      were neighbors).
      2. Lutson STROUD and William STROUD are both named in the 1786 Duplin
      County NC State Census in the same District with William BULLARD.
      3. These are the only STROUD and BULLARD Families found in this area
      at that time.
      4. In the Book, The Heritage of Lenoir County, published by The Lenoir
      County Historical Association, Kingston, North Carolina, 1981 a biographical
      sketch, Article 727, of Franklin STROUD by Romana Ann Collins Jenkins states
      that Franklin�s great-grandparents were Lutson STROUD jr and Hannah CROOM.
      Romana Jenkins also states that the children of Lutson and Hannah Croom
      included a Celia (BULLARD) among the other five named children. SELAH was
      obviously spelled CELIA here since the Will did not list a daughter Celia.
      The BULLARD named here is obviously Nathan BULLARD.
      5. In a Book, A Saga of STROUDS & STRODES, by Octavia Jordan Perry,
      printed by Deford & Company, Baltimore, MD, 1966, Perry discusses the
      Revolutionary War Service of the Duplin County, NC William and Lutson
      STROUDs. He states that William STROUD left Duplin County after the War and
      he died in Mississippi. His children did not include a name that could be
      construed to be SARAH.
      6. Since the Marriage Bonds of Duplin County North Carolina, in the NC
      State Archives include the January 21, 1795 marriage of SARAH STROUD to
      NATHAN BULLARD with Sampson GRIMES as bondsman and witness, it is reasonable
      to assume that SARAH pronounced her name such that the recorder spelled it as
      it appears in the record.

      I am certain for the reasons stated that SARAH (aka Selah, Celia)
      STROUD is the daughter of Lutson Jr and Hannah STROUD. Lutson STROUD Jr. is
      named in lists of Revolutionary War Soldiers who served in the North Carolina
      Militia. He was reported to have been wounded in the buttox in one of the
      battles. Subsequent Census records of Sarah�s age groups translate to birth
      between 1775 and 1780.

      Octavia Perry in A Saga of Strouds and Strodes provides information
      that: ."James Stroud married Miss Lott, had a son Lutson, who married Hannah
      Croom. " We can assume that these are the parents and grandparents of our
      Sarah STROUD.

      The best to all,
      Spence Bullard
    • redbird
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2003
        as usual...excellent work...documentation as well...Spence you get an A in
        my book
        Joyce Bullard McEntire
> [...]
        as
        > it appears in the record.
        >
        > I am certain for the reasons stated that SARAH (aka Selah, Celia)
        > STROUD is the daughter of Lutson Jr and Hannah STROUD. Lutson STROUD Jr.
        is
        > named in lists of Revolutionary War Soldiers who served in the North
        Carolina
        > Militia. He was reported to have been wounded in the buttox in one of the
        > battles. Subsequent Census records of Sarah’s age groups translate to
        birth
        > between 1775 and 1780.
        >
        > Octavia Perry in A Saga of Strouds and Strodes provides information
        > that: ."James Stroud married Miss Lott, had a son Lutson, who married
        Hannah
        > Croom. " We can assume that these are the parents and grandparents of

      • Penny Holmes
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2003
          Spence

          Excellent! This is wonderful. You continue to impress us all. Thanks so
          much for your effort and help on this line. It is so absolutely wonderful to
          have some one from my line in the area of the country where the research
          material exists and is such a terrific researcher. Thanks so much.

          I still wonder if any of you are interested in getting involved on the
          Surname DNA studies. With 6 people participating, I think you get a
          discount on the pricing. Hopefully, we would have many more that would be
          interested. This would certainly help to figure out if some of these lines
          are not more connected that we have found. Like Toni Turk line and some of
          those from the Robert Bullard lines.
          Just a thought.

          Penny

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
            Penny and all,
            Thank you for you complement. I enjoy doing the research and am happy
            passing it along.
            As for DNA testing, I don't think it can provide the confidence nearly as
            high as we can obtain by genealogy research. As I read the promised results,
            with perfect matches of 6 or more BULLARD SURNAME participants, the tests
            would assure us with 50 percent confidence (the toss of a coin) that we have
            a common ancester within the last 7 generations (back to the Revolutionary
            War period). I personally am better than 90 percent confidnent (adequate for
            approving most life threating surgical proceedures) that the Nathan and Sarah
            Stroud BULLARD family of Wright, William4, Nathan2, Asa, Elijah, John,
            Stroud, Lorenzo Dow, and Sarah is correct. As you can see, I am quite sure I
            know who our common ancestor is.
            Never the less, I am still willing to participate as one of 6 Family
            Bullard Surnames as previously stated. I just have low expectations of
            learning anything from it.

            Spence

          • Penny Holmes
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2003
              Spence

              I think you are correct. I think that the DNA testing is only a tool in the
              research process. Documentation is necessary. But what the DNA testing can
              do is help the researcher find lines that are matching, so they can exchange
              info with the matching lines, and hopefully give each other more names,
              places, and dates to search and find their lines.

              If you did the test and your sample match one from the lines of Toni Turk,
              and/or the lines of those researching the Robert Bullard line, then we would
              know that most likely, we have a connection with 7 generations. Since-from
              you --we have about 4 generations pretty well nailed down, a match with
              these others would tell us if it is worth searching out their lines and
              trying to find the connection with ours; or we would know from a non match
              that it is not likely that we will find a connection to that other line.

              But, we will just see if anyone gets interested in these or not.

              Thanks again

              Penny

              'Shirley Moefield'; 'Edith Knott'; 'Tommy Corder'
              Subject: RE: [BULLARD] Research relating to Sarah STROUD

            • spenceb2670
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2003
                Penny,
                My e-mail was down a few days last weekend. I found your
                response in Bullard@....
                We are in agreement.

                Spence

                --- In BULLARD@yahoogroups.com, "Penny Holmes" <pjholmes@c...> wrote:
                > Spence
                >
                > I think you are correct. I think that the DNA testing is only a
                tool in the
                > research process. Documentation is necessary. But what the DNA
                testing can
                > do is help the researcher find lines that are matching, so they can
                exchange
                > info with the matching lines, and hopefully give each other more
                names,
                > places, and dates to search and find their lines.
                >
                > If you did the test and your sample match one from the lines of
                Toni Turk,
                > and/or the lines of those researching the Robert Bullard line, then
                we would
                > know that most likely, we have a connection with 7 generations.
                Since-from
                > you --we have about 4 generations pretty well nailed down, a match
                with
                > these others would tell us if it is worth searching out their lines
                and
                > trying to find the connection with ours; or we would know from a
                non match
                > that it is not likely that we will find a connection to that other
                line.

                > But, we will just see if anyone gets interested in these or not.
                >
                > Thanks again
                >
                > Penny

                Nolte';

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
                  Spence

                  I am still trying to get info from Bernice straight.

                  I wanted to see if this agrees with what you have or what you have gotten
                  from her. And what are you showing in your database?

                  She shows that her line is from Asa Bullard. I am okay so far.

                  She shows Asa with 4 marriages: Chloe Ann Unk., Rhoda Unk, M. Unk, and
                  Sarah Hamilton.

                  Now, she shows
                  children of Asa and Chloe as:
                  Spencer b. ILL
                  John b. ILL
                  Lorenzo Dow b.ILL
                  Sarah Ann b. ILL
                  Nathaniel b. MO
                  Luticia J. b. MO

                  Children of Asa and Rhoda Unk:
                  Elijah b. TX
                  Mary b. TX

                  Children of Asa and M. Unk.;
                  Asa Dow b. TX

                  Children of Asa and Sarah Hamilton:
                  Lydia b. MO
                  Nancy Didama b. ILL
                  Abigail b.?

                  Now, is the child of Asa and M.-- Asa Dow--is that correct???

                  Her line comes from this Asa Dow line. She shows Asa Dow Bullad b. Dec 25
                  1845 MO and d. 1925 Johnson Co TX. The children of the Asa and Rhoda
                  Unk-are all born in Tx-according to her info. Then the last marriage, Asa
                  and Sarah Hamilton, she shows the first child born in MO and the second in
                  ILL. I suppose he went back to ILL for a while???

                  Then she shows the children of Asa Dow and wife Savella Matilda Hyden:
                  Alice Louise
                  Mahalie Margaret
                  Drucilla
                  Justin
                  Alonzo Lon
                  Samuel Wesely
                  Lemuel Richard
                  Sophie J
                  Daniel Cyrus
                  George H
                  Cora Annie
                  Matthew Mathanley
                  Edith Francis "Eddy"

                  She desc from Matthew line.

                  Oddly she shows Drucill b. mar 27 1874 and Justin b. Apr 6 1874--obviously
                  not correct.

                  I was just wondering about some of this--mainly the child Asa Dow of Asa and
                  3rd wife M. Unk. Seems a bit odd to have a son named Lorenzo Dow and then
                  another son named Asa Dow, but ???

                  Penny