New Evidence in Search for William Bullard

  • sbullard@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17 2:42 PM
      Hi All Bullard Cousins;
      This is an update to some research I have been
      doing with regard to the William Bullards found in the
      1800 and 1810 censuses. One, William2 is believed to be
      a brother and the other, William3 a first son of Nathan
      BULLARD. It is believed that one of these was the
      William Bullard named in the Law Suit to Partition the
      Estate of William Blakeney filed in Chesterfield County,
      SC in 1843.
      I have researched further the William and Frances
      (Blakeney) Bullard involved in the Leah Blakeney vs
      William Bullard and others 1843-1846 Law Suit in
      Chesterfield County SC to partition the estate of
      deceased William Blakeney. New evidence now leads me to
      believe I was wrong to assume that the William Bullard
      was Nathan�s Brother. I now believe he was Nathan�s son
      by his first wife.
      I base this conclusion on the following evidence:
      1. AGE:
      Nathan�s first son by his first wife is identified in
      both the 1800 Anson County, NC census as a 10 to 16 year
      old male implying birth between 1784 and 1790.
      The 1810 Chesterfield County SC census shows this male
      to be William3 Bullard living with family near Nathan
      Bullard Family. William3 and his wife are shown with
      age 16 to 26 (birth between 1784 and 1794). They have
      two male children under age 10 in this census. Date of
      birth of William3 based on both censuses is believed to
      be 1784 to 1790.
      Nathan�s brother William2 is believed to have been born
      in 1767 based of a similar analysis.
      2. COURT EVIDENCE:
      23 October 1843 sworn affidavit by James M.
      Blakeney of Chesterfield County that to the best of his
      knowledge, William and Frances Bullard and other named
      reside "without" the limits of the State of South
      Carolina.
      19 March 1846 sworn statement by John J. Roach
      that he has a distinct recollection of William and his
      wife, Frances Bullard since he first met them in Anson
      County, NC in 1817 and that he has known them since that
      time to present and that Frances is the reputed sister
      of William Blakeney of Chesterfield County SC.
      17 April 1846 Dixon Hestle (sp?) of Monroe
      County, Alabama, attorney in fact for William and
      Frances Bullard appoints Stephen D. Miller of
      Chesterfield District in State of South Carolina to be
      his lawful attorney to act in his behalf in bringing
      to "bring to a reckoning and to adjust and settle the
      balance of the claim of William and Frances Bullard of
      Alabama (heirs at law of the late William Blakeney
      deceased)�".
      I am lead to believe by this last statement that
      William and Frances Bullard are residing in Monroe
      County, Alabama at this time.
      3. CENSUS RESEARCH FOR MONROE COUNTY ALABAMA:
      1830 Census shows a Hardy Bullard
      1 male age 20 to 30
      1 female age 20 to 30
      2 females under age 5
      1840 Census shows a William Bullard
      1 male age 50 to 60 (Fits William3 age
      and not William2)
      1 female age 40 to 50 (1810 Chesterfield
      County SC census has William3 wife born between 1790 and
      1800)
      1 female slave age 36 to 55
      3 male slaves age 24 to 36
      1 female slave age 24 to 36
      3 male slaves age 10 to 24
      2 female slaves age 10 to 24
      6 male slaves under age 10
      3 female slaves under age 10
      1850 Census shows a William Bullard
      William Bullard male age 66 farming
      1600 value (could not read place of birth)
      Elizabeth Bullard female age 47
      place of birth South Carolina

      Pleasant Bullard male age 49 farming
      6000 value place of birth South Carolina
      Marrah Bullard female age 41 place of
      birth South Carolina
      Joel Bullard male age 13
      From the above evidence I am lead to believe
      that the William Bullard found in Monroe County Alabama
      Censuses in 1840 and 1850 is the son of Nathan Bullard
      by his first wife. Age 66 in 1850 translates to birth
      in 1784, certainly a possibility for William3 Bullard.
      He would be a half brother to the children of Nathan and
      Sarah (Stroud) Bullard.
      Can any of you find fault in this logic? It
      changes my previous assumption that it was Nathan�s
      brother who married Frances Blakeney. It now appears
      that William3 Bullard, first son of Nathan by his first
      wife, was born in Duplin County, NC in 1784, married
      Frances Blakeney between 1800 and 1810, that they were
      living in Chesterfield County near Nathan Bullard Family
      for the 1810 census, were residing in Anson County, NC
      in 1817, and in Monroe County, AL in 1840..

      OTHER CENSUSES RESEARCHED FOR THIS ANALYSIS

      1800 Anson County NC Census
      William2 Bullard (Younger brother of Nathan b. in
      Duplin County NC)
      1 male age 26 tp 45 (William2 at age 33
      Born abt 1767)
      1 female age 16 to 26
      1 female under age 10

      1810 Chesterfield County Census (Separated from Anson
      County NC by State Line)
      William3 Bullard (Believed to be first son of Nathan b.
      abt 1788 by first wife)
      1 male age 16 to 26 (William3 abt age 22.
      The male of age 10+ in 1800 census)
      1 female age 16 to 26 (Wife of William3. Now
      believed to be Frances Blakeney)
      2 males under age 10 (Believed to be
      grandsons of Nathan)
      Nathan1 Bullard (Son of William1 Bullard)
      1 male age 45+ (Nathan1 about age 45)
      1 female age 26 to 45 (Sarah Stroud, wife at
      age 35)
      1 female age 16 to 26 (Daughter b. between
      1790 and 1794 by first wife)
      1 male age 10 to 16 (Wright born in 1797)
      2 females age 10 to 16 (Daughters of Nathan1
      and Sarah b. between 1795 and 1800)
      5 males under age 10 (William4 b. 1800,
      Nathan2 b. 1805, Asa and Elijah twins b. 1806, and John
      as infant)

      With the above as a base I have searched for
      William2 b. abt 1767 and William3 b abt 1788 in
      subsequent censeses and other sources with the
      following results.

      1820 Censuses for BULLARD with possible leads to
      William2 and William3.
      1820 Chesterfield County, S. C.
      Boulard, William (note the spelling, Age group fits
      only William3.)
      1 male age 26 to under 45
      1 female age 16 to 26
      2 males under 10
      1 male slave age 14 to under 26

      1830 Censuses with possible leads to William 2/William3
      Bullard.
      1830 Limestone County, Alabama Census Index page 14
      lists:
      Buller, William G. (note spelling. I did not check
      this further.)
      1830 Monroe County, Alabama Census shows:
      Bullard, Hardy
      1 male age 20 to 30
      1 female age 20 to 30
      2 females under age 5
      1 Free colored male age 35 to 55

      1840 Census with possible leads to William2/William3
      Bullard
      1840 Autauga County, Alabama index listings:
      Bullad, William (note spelling. Page 21. I did not
      check this further.)

      1850 Censuses with leads to William2?William3 Bullard
      1850 Taleapossa County, Alabama Census
      Bullard, William male age 23 farmer 200 place of
      birth Tennessee
      Martha female age 20 place of birth North
      Carolina
      Ann female age 7 place of birth Alabama
      Sarah female age 5 place of birth Alabama
      William male age 2 place of birth Alabama
      ?les Bob? female age 5/12 place of birth Alabama
      1850 Limestone County Alabama Census
      Bullard, William M. male age 23 farmer place
      of birth Alabama
      ? female age 21 place of birth Alabama

      Spence
    • redbird
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17 4:19 PM
        Spence...thank you for this information...You always have documents for your
        claims...thank you again for sharing
        Joyce Bullard McEntire
        Oklahoma
      • Penny Dennis Holmes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19 5:19 AM
          Spence

          Thanks again for the info. I will be out of town for a few weeks, but will
          get back on this when I get back

          Thanks again

          Penny

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2002
            Welcome Elaina. It is really great to have a member who
            lives in Chesterfield, SC. A great deal of our research
            centers in that village in the early 1800s. NATHAN
            BULLARD who is in the ancestral line of most, if not
            all, of us received a land grant for 82 acres on Deep
            Creek a couple of miles NW of Chesterfield in 1806.
            Many of his family were born there and in Anson County,
            NC just a few miles north before moving to Chesterfield
            County. You can find all of this genealogy posted in
            the archives of BULLARD@yahoogroups.com. And certainly,
            if you want more information, any of us will gladly help
            you.
            With respect to the William3 BULLARD refered to in
            your post, just yesterday I looked up the 1850 Monroe
            County Alabama census in the Denver Branch of the
            National Archives to verify the place of birth. I could
            clearly read it on the copy as "Virg". This is clearly
            not what I had expected for it is known that the
            William2 and William3 BULLARDS, brother and first son
            respectively of Nathan BULLARD, were obviously born in
            Duplin County, North Carolina. This will be cause for
            further research into who was the WILLIAM BULLARD who
            married FRANCES BLAKENEY.

            Spence Bullard

          • Penny Dennis Holmes
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2002
              Spence and all

              Well, this is interesting. I am going thru the notes and seeing where
              all this fits in at.
              I suppose it is possible that there was some travel to VA from NC, back
              and forth, perhaps. Or maybe near a border that could go either way??
              However, they seem to have been pretty consistent with the place of
              birth before.

              Something to think about and look at.

              Penny

> [...]

              > > 1 male age 20 to 30
              > > 1 female age 20 to 30
              > > 2 females under age 5
              > > 1 Free colored male age 35 to 55
              > >
              > > 1840 Census with possible leads to William2/William3
              > > Bullard
              > > 1840 Autauga County, Alabama index listings:
              > > Bullad, William (note spelling. Page 21. I did not
              > > check this further.)
              > >
              > > 1850 Censuses with leads to William2?William3 Bullard
              > > 1850 Taleapossa County, Alabama Census
              > > Bullard, William male age 23 farmer 200 place of
              > > birth Tennessee
              > > Martha female age 20 place of birth North
              > > Carolina
              > > Ann female age 7 place of birth Alabama
              > > Sarah female age 5 place of birth Alabama
              > > William male age 2 place of birth Alabama
              > > ?les Bob? female age 5/12 place of birth Alabama
              > > 1850 Limestone County Alabama Census
              > > Bullard, William M. male age 23 farmer place

            • Bullard Zak

> [...]

                > >       1 Free colored male age 35 to 55
                > >
                > > 1840 Census with possible leads to William2/William3
                > > Bullard
                > > 1840 Autauga County, Alabama index listings:
                > >    Bullad, William  (note spelling.  Page 21.  I did not
                > > check this further.)
                > >
                > > 1850 Censuses with leads to William2?William3 Bullard
                > > 1850 Taleapossa County, Alabama Census
                > >    Bullard, William  male age 23  farmer  200  place of
                > > birth Tennessee
                > >       Martha  female age 20  place of birth North
                > > Carolina
                > >       Ann  female age 7  place of birth Alabama
                > >       Sarah female age 5 place of birth Alabama
                > >       William male age 2 place of birth Alabama
                > >       ?les Bob? female age 5/12  place of birth Alabama
                > > 1850  Limestone County Alabama Census
                > >    Bullard, William M.  male age 23  farmer      place
                > > of birth Alabama
                > >       ?      female age 21       place of birth Alabama

                Do You Yahoo!?