Re: [BULLARD] Bullards in Robeson County, NC

  • Michael Alan Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1 7:36 AM
      Hi Wade,

          Thanks much for the confirmation.  Makes sense to me.  I've run into the same thing, so I figure that's probably the case here; the recorder probably just put a one in the adjacent column.  Anyway, the 1820 data really helped a lot.  Thank you again, and all the very best.  Cheers, Mike

      "Wade G. Motsinger" wrote:

      Hi Michael,    Just for your peace of mind (and mine), I double checked the 1820 Census, and it really does indicate the numbers I sent you.  For the record, the second column for male and female should read "Of 10 and under 16".  I wouldn't struggle too much with the ages as listed in the census.  I have done a lot of work with the census, and it is not unusual for a person to be listed under the wrong column --- especially when it is a matter of a couple of years (or 4 or 5).  Literacy rate was low, and many times the census enumerator simply guessed at the ages.    Regards,  Wade M.