Please update me

  • Kay Bauman
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 4:43 PM
      What is the current concensus regarding Alice Passaqueddy and the
      Bullards?

      "ELIJAH SMITH BULLARD FAMILY
      Elijah Smith Bullard and his wife, Elizabeth Johnston Bullard, came to
      Oklahoma, Indian Territory, about 1890. They crossed the Red River at
      Burns Flat on their way to Stephens County from Parker County, Texas.
      Their five sons and four daughters, some of whom were married and had
      families of their own, came with them. They all settled around Velma.
      The knolls and ridges were covered with small oak trees and were
      called "skin oaks" or skinnery. A man on horse-back could be seen for
      miles away when riding through this shrubbery.
      Elijah's father was Stroud Bullard, a French immigrant. Elijah's
      mother was an Indian woman, Alice Passaqueddy Bullard from Maine. She
      and Stroud Bullard were probably married in Illinois, as Elijah was
      born in Marion County, Illinois in 1840. Alice Passaqueddy Bullard was
      a descendant of Chief Powhaton, the "Great Werawance Chieftain of the
      Iroquois Nation." Stroud Bullard and his brothers came to America
      about 1790. They came on a cattle ship, working on the ship to pay
      their passage to Georgia. They migrated west to Missouri, Illinois,
      and Texas.
      Elijah was a Confederate soldier during the Civil War. He was a
      private in Co. H of Taylor's Regiment, Texas Mountain Volunteers-22nd
      Cavalry. He enlisted at Whitesboro, Texas, and served at Fort Washita,
      Chickasaw Nation., near Tishomingo, Indian Territory. He was a camp
      teamster."

      Kay
    • baumankay@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27 4:43 PM
        Somehow I deleted the source of that excerpt. It is from "Velma Family Histories" pg. 679 (Velma, OK).

        BULLARD@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > What is the current concensus regarding Alice Passaqueddy and the
        > Bullards?
        >
        > "ELIJAH SMITH BULLARD FAMILY
        > Elijah Smith Bullard and his wife, Elizabeth Johnston Bullard, came to
        > Oklahoma, Indian Territory, about 1890. They crossed the Red River at
        > Burns Flat on their way to Stephens County from Parker County, Texas.
        > Their five sons and four daughters, some of whom were married and had
        > families of their own, came with them. They all settled around Velma.
        > The knolls and ridges were covered with small oak trees and were
        > called "skin oaks" or skinnery. A man on horse-back could be seen for
        > miles away when riding through this shrubbery.
        > Elijah's father was Stroud Bullard, a French immigrant. Elijah's
        > mother was an Indian woman, Alice Passaqueddy Bullard from Maine. She
        > and Stroud Bullard were probably married in Illinois, as Elijah was
        > born in Marion County, Illinois in 1840. Alice Passaqueddy Bullard was
        > a descendant of Chief Powhaton, the "Great Werawance Chieftain of the
        > Iroquois Nation." Stroud Bullard and his brothers came to America
        > about 1790. They came on a cattle ship, working on the ship to pay
        > their passage to Georgia. They migrated west to Missouri, Illinois,
        > and Texas.
        > Elijah was a Confederate soldier during the Civil War. He was a
        > private in Co. H of Taylor's Regiment, Texas Mountain Volunteers-22nd
        > Cavalry. He enlisted at Whitesboro, Texas, and served at Fort Washita,
        > Chickasaw Nation., near Tishomingo, Indian Territory. He was a camp
        > teamster."
        >
        > Kay

      • redbird
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27 5:11 PM
          Kay in all my many years of research I have never found any reference to an
          Alice Passaqueddy...Stroud Bullard was not married to an Indian woman...he
          married a lady named Mary Jamison...and as far as I know Stroud was not a
          French immigrant. none of the story that you have used here has been
          confirmed as far as I know...Stroud did not come on a ship etc etc.
          Joyce Bullard McEntire
          Oklahoma

        • baumankay@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28 12:30 PM
            There is an Indian Tribe named the Passamaquoddy from Maine. http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/9118/pass.html I wonder if this was not Alice's last name but the name of her tribe. Has anyone investigated this avenue?

            Kay

          • Babbimac@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28 5:40 PM
              Dear Kay,

              This is interesting, several of us on the Bullard List have Bullard Ancestors
              from Parker Co. Texas. Carole, Penny and myself (Barbara) are descended from
               Nathan Bullard b: 1822 son of  Wright Bullard they also lived in Illinois.
              It is wonderful hearing from you.
              The Bullards lived between Springtown & Azel Texas just north of the
              Jacksboro Hwy. It is very nice land there. You do have some interesting
              information on your Bullards.  We have had a nice time putting out
              information on line.

              I want to say, Hi to all of you and hope you are all doing well.

              Barbi T
            • redbird
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 5:15 AM
                If you are looking for family of Stroud and Mary Bullard you need to contact Spence Bullard he has traced and proven this family history.  Kay I think you will find that the history you have of Stroud Bullard is not correct. If you will email me privately I will give you his email addy.  He not only has traced this family but has documentation. This is my family as well.
                Joyce Bullard McEntire
                Oklahoma
                This is interesting, several of us on the Bullard List have Bullard Ancestors
                from Parker Co. Texas. Carole, Penny and myself (Barbara) are descended from
                 Nathan Bullard b: 1822 son of  Wright Bullard they also lived in Illinois.
                It is wonderful hearing from you.
                The Bullards lived between Springtown & Azel Texas just north of the
                Jacksboro Hwy. It is very nice land there. You do have some interesting
                information on your Bullards.  We have had a nice time putting out
                information on line.

                I want to say, Hi to all of you and hope you are all doing well.

                Barbi T

              • Penny Dennis Holmes
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2001
                  Just wanted to say Hello also.

                  Penny

                  Wright Bullard and Elizabeth McDaniel
                      Nathan Bullard and Polly Matilda Camp
                          Martha Patsy Bullard and John Miller
                              Sarah Jane Miller and Tipton Harrison Dennis
                                  Noah Dennis and Irene Garner--my grandparents.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2001
                    Joyce

                    Keep me posted on any new info on Stroud's family..while not a direct line, I am trying to keep up with them

                    Penny