Thomas Bullard's Revolutionary War Service

  • carolhull1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      I am trying to help a friend prove her Bullard ancestor's
      Revolutionary War service. Here is what we know about him:

      Thomas J. B. Bullard
      b ca 1750, NC (or VA?)
      m Ann (possibly Moseley)
      war service has traditionally been recorded as Soldier, GA
      d 1823 or later, Elbert County GA
      probate date of will 5 May 1825

      "Roster of Revolutionary War Soldiers in Georgia", Vol 3 by Mrs.
      Howard H. McCall and "Georgia Revolutionary War Soldiers Graves", Vol
      1 by H. Ross Arnold & H. Clifton Burnham both refer to Thomas
      Bullard's widow, Ann, drawing for land in the Georgia Land Lottery of
      1825. However, this is no longer adequate proof of his service since
      Rev War veterans were not the only category of people qualified to
      draw in the 1825 lottery, and the records of that lottery do not
      indicate the participants' qualifications. DAR is requiring that
      this man's service be re-proved.

      We also must not confuse his service with that of another Thomas
      Bullard, b 12-13-1759 VA, m Jemima Hall, d 3-26-1837 NC, Pvt NC PNSR.

      Are there any descendents out there with good proof of this man's
      service?
    • Michael Alan Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi Carol,

        This Thomas is not in my direct line, maybe laterally, I haven't looked
        into it, so I don't have any records on him. However, I do have the Sons of
        the American Revolution (SAR) Revolutionary War Patriot Index on CD. Here's
        the info off it; may be the same thing you now say that DAR wants more proof
        on, but it might be worth looking into. Anyway, here's what's on the SAR CD:

        Thomas Bullard - Patriot - # 89978
        Spouse: Ann (-)
        Child: Allan Bullard
        Birth: (no date listed) NC
        Marriage: (nothing listed)
        Death: before 1823, Elbert County, GA
        SERV: Sol GA
        SAR # 148221
        CO # 01661
        SAR FILE REF: #29485 B.GED 16 Feb 1998

        Under his descendants, it traces the line down through your Thomas' son Allan
        Bullard and his wife Rebecca Butler,
        to their daughter Lucinda Bullard and her husband William Marion Heaslet,
        to their daughter Louisa C. Heaslet and her husband Robert Harvey Johnson,
        to their son Elias Heze Kiah Johnson and his wife Emily Cornelia Sullivan,
        to their daughter Bess Johnson and her husband Tandy D. Phillips,
        to their son Richard Harvey Phillips and his wife Pearl Opal Young,
        to their son Richard Harvey Phillips and his wife Loyce Ruth Martin,
        to their three kids Michael Richard Phillips, Kimberly Jean Phillips, and
        Kelley Ann Phillips,
        with birth, marriage, and death dates as submitted.

        I can't be of any more help than that; I'm not a SAR member (just
        haven't got around to it; I have at least 6 proveable ancestors with Rev. War
        service), so I really don't know how you go about getting their files. If
        the above is of any value to you, just contact the SAR and give them this
        info, a small fee, and you should have no trouble getting all they have. To
        the extent I've looked into it on behalf of my sister who's interested in the
        DAR, it seems that the DAR and SAR will usually mutually accept proof for one
        as good for proof in the other. Anyway, that's all I have. Good luck and
        all the best. Mike Brown (gggg grandson of Rev. War Patriot James Bullard
        and his wife Sarah Pittman, Robeson County, NC)

      • carolhull1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
          Michael,

          Thank you for the information on Thomas Bullard. If the SAR has
          documentation other than the Georgia Land Lottery to prove this man's
          Rev War service, then I might be able to use it.

          Others might be interested in the following information: In recent
          years, DAR has raised its standards regarding what is adequate proof
          for lineage and an ancestor's service. This is because in many cases
          documentation which has been accepable in the past has been
          determined to have errors. DAR will rarely ever accept citations
          from compiled indexes and extracts, local histories, or family
          histories anymore. They will not accept references to the published
          DAR and SAR patriot indexes. Applicants must provide photocopies of
          original records for both service and lineage. It is possible to
          reference an established DAR member's papers if the documentation
          supporting them meets current standards. DAR will no longer accept
          references to SAR papers, although SAR will accept references to DAR
          papers.

          Ladies who are already DAR members with Thomas Bullard as their Rev
          War ancestor will not have to go back and re-prove his service, but
          future applicants will have to. This is apparently happening on many
          lines, even when a new applicant has family members who have been
          DARs for years--many are having to re-prove the lineage and/or
          service.

          I believe that the higher standards will result in better records for
          future generations to refer to, but in the meantime it can be messy.

          I would still be very appreciative of any other help I can get
          proving Thomas Bullard's service.

          Carol
        • Spenceb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2001
            In a message dated 03/01/2001 3:47:49 PM Mountain Standard Time,

            Subj:[BULLARD] Thomas Bullard's Revolutionary War Service
            Date:03/01/2001 3:47:49 PM Mountain Standard Time
            From:    carolhull1@...
            To:    BULLARD@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                  I have recently been researching early BULLARDS in middle Atlantic
            States and have found a few records on Thomas Bullard/Tho Bullard that may be
            relevant to your friend's search.  However, I would think these may records
            that have been found.  My search has been primarily in Reference books in the
            Denver Public Library.  I have not tried to identify family ties, and I do
            not know if these records relate to one another.  There are some that
            obviously are from different generations because of dates of records.
                  I would appreciate knowing if in your searches you should find any
            ties to NATHAN BULLARD b. abt 1765 likely in N. C., who married SARAH STROUD
            in 1795 in Duplin County January 1795.
                  Information from my searches:

                  Reference 1 - The STATE RECORDS of North Carolina, Published under the
            supervision of the Trustees of the Public Libraries, by Order of the General
            Assembly.  Collected and edited by Walter Clark, one of the Justices of the
            Supreme Court of N. C.
                  VOL 16, ROSTER of the CONTINENTAL LINE from NORTH CAROLINA, 1783,
            Copy of a Register showing the names alphabetically, ----.  1st Regiment -
            Thos. Clark, Colo.  The name of (p. 1024) Bullard, Thos., pvt. in Sharp's
            Company, enlistment 10 Nov 1778 for 9 months
                  VOL 17, Same series of State Records, (p. 197), ABSTRACT - The Army
            Accounts of the North Carolina Line.  No. 3236, Thomas Bullard, Amount
            41.15.01 Pounds, Received by John Marshall.  I believe this was the Pay Roll
            and John Marshall made the delivery.
                  VOL 22, Same series of State Records, (p. 58), North Carolina
            Revolutionary Pensioners - Continued.  Bullard, Thomas, Private

                  Reference 2 - COLONY of NORTH CAROLINA 1735 - 1764, Abstracts of Land
            Patents, Volume One, by Margaret M. Hofmann
                  Page 63 - Crown to:   (Arthur Dobbs, Royal Governor)    Patent Book 2,
            Entry # 914 pg. 144  THOMAS BULLARD          10 October 1755,   390 acres in
            Johnston County on both sides of Norhunty-including his own improvement,
            joining near the head of a small branch and the Swamp.
                  Page 409 - Crown to:   (Arthur Dobbs, Royal Governor)    Patent Book 15
            Entry # 5783 pg. 354   AMBROSE BULLARD    10 April 1761,    150 acres in
            Dobbs County on the South Side of Nauhunty Swamp, joining THOMAS BULLARD, his
            own line, and the Swamp.

                  Reference 3 - Index to Volunteer Soldiers in Indian Wars and
            Disturbances 1815-1858, Vol I, A-K, transcribed by Virgil D. White, The
            National Historical Publishing Company, Waynesboro, Tennessee, 1994.
                  Page 180, BULLARD, THOMAS, Pvt. srv in Hunter's Co of the 42nd AL Mil
            in the Creek War.

                  Reference 4 - Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the American
            Revolution with an Appendix containing a Collection of Miscellaneous Records,
            Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1984.
                  Note:  These are the identical entries found in Reference 1.

                  Reference 5 - THE ORIGINAL LISTS of PERSONS OF QUALITY; Emigrants;
            Religious Exiles; Political Rebels;  Serving Men Sold for a Term of Years;
            Apprentices; Children Stolen; Maidens Pressed; and Others who went from Great
            Britain to The American Plantations - 1600-1700, With their ages, the
            localities where they formerly lived in the Mother Country, the names of the
            ships in which they embarked, and other interesting particulars.  From MSS.
            Preserved in the State Paper Department of Her Majesty's Public Record
            Office, England.  Edited by:  JOHN CAMDEN HOTTEN., G. A. BAKER & CO., INC.
            NEW YORK 1931.
                  Page 124 - PASSENGERS WCH PASSED FROM        1635,   21 Aug 1635,
            Theis under-written names are to be transported to Virginea, imbarqued in the
            GEORGE Jo: Severne Mr bound thither p examination of the Minister of
            Gravesend pc.
            Tho: Bullard-----32 yeres (among the list of passengers)

            Good luck,

            Sincerely yours,
            Spencer Bullard
          • Penny Dennis Holmes
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2001
              Spence

              Very nice. You are always wonderful to help others.

              Keep ''us '' posted if hear back on anything about Nathan and Sarah Stroud Bullard...that one has been impossible to prove.

              Thanks again

              Penny

              Date:03/01/2001 3:47:49 PM Mountain Standard Time
              From:    carolhull1@...
              To:    BULLARD@yahoogroups.com

[...]

            • Bill & Eva Alexander and David & Jennife
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2001

                Penny, This message actually has nothing to do with the message to Spence.  It was just easier to reply than to remember how to do the new message.  I have not been on in quite some time.  Since January of last year my husband, Bill, has been in the hospital 7 times with several heart attacks and 3 surgeries, my daughter has been in the hospital 4 times with kidney stones, I had nose surgery. We have had several deaths in our line.  Rena Bullard Hicks age 91- April 9, 2001,and Robbie Bullard Hicks age 89 – March 17, 2001. Both are daughters of Andrew Bullard and the granddaughter of Alf Bullard.  Also, Robbie Hicks’s daughter-in-law   Nancy Hicks, Married to Thomas Hicks passed away in March.  I don’t have that exact date.  My daughter Jennifer Jo Alexander got married on April 1, 2001 to David Ray Robinson.  Which brings me to my question.  What is the lady’s name you are trying to find records of here in Poteau.  I can’t find that was posted.  I will check with David’s family (they are from Clayton and McAlester which is pretty close). Needless to say, I haven’t spent much time on genealogy lately.  We have had some other deaths which I will send later so you all can update your records.  I don’t have the exact dates for those yet.  We are also having a family reunion this year at a short notice.  I will update you all on that.  I do know it will be at the Heavener Runestone State Park in Heavener OK.

                August 11-12/2001.  Hopefully, I can now find a little time to catch up with you all.  I have seen some interesting postings.

                Eva Alexander

                Date:03/01/2001 3:47:49 PM Mountain Standard Time
                From:    carolhull1@...
                To:    BULLARD@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the.

              • Penny Dennis Holmes
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2001
                  Eva

                  I would love to fill in the info on your line..I don't seem to have it.

                  I have that Herman Bullard marr. Loretta Midgley (is that spelled correctly?)...and then that is about it.

                  Sounds like you and your family have been very "busy " here lately.  Hope that it all settles down some for you.

                  My mother has heart problems also, and it is very trying on all members of the family as well as the one with the problem.
                  My mother has had too many to count angioplasty procedures.  She has had triple bypass, and then a redo of one of them.  Then this last year, she had a mechanical valve replacement ...so, it is ongoing.  But she keeps going also.  She and my father travel constantly... just got back from cruise to New Zealand and Australia...just after her open heart surgery.  The just got back from a week  long trip to the west... NV and AR and NM... and they leave on another cruise at the end of May...

                  Hang in there.  Take care

                  Penny