1830 Henderson Co. TN Census

  • SPENCEB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      Hi all;
      Michael Nash provided information that there was a Nathan Bullard in
      addtition to the 1805 Nathan (in his line) in the 1830 Henderson County, TN
      census. I had not previously known this and had not looked for it since I
      had found his Nathan in an Index that also included the family statistics.
      Since only one Nathan was listed I had assumed there was no other Nathan
      there.
      Yesterday I found both Nathan's in the actual census with the following
      family data:
      P82 - Nathan Bullard - a son under 5, and a male and female in the 20 to 30
      age group.
      P94 - Nathan Bullard - a son age 10 to 15, two sons age 15 to 20, a female
      age 20 to 30, a female age 40 to 50, and a male age 50 to 60.
      At first glance the page 94 Nathan would appear to be the one who married
      Sarah Stroud. In 1830 Lorenzo Dow, my g-grandfather would have been 13,
      Stroud abt age 16, and John age 19, if his birth day occurred after the
      census was taken, would fit the data. However, daughter Sarah would have
      been about 9, not 20+. Nathan himself would have been 65 to 70 (b. between
      1760 and 1765 as calculated from other censuses). And Sarah Stroud married
      36+ years earlier (Jan 21, 1795) would have been 4 to 14 on her wedding day
      with this census age data. Possible but not likely. This census would
      exclude Andrew whom I believed to be a likely son. However, if this is the
      census data for Nathan and Sarah Stroud, it would reinforce the belief that
      Nathan 1805 is a son of the family.
      I welcome your thoughts as to whether this is the census for the Nathan
      and Sarah Stroud Bullard family. I am at a lose as to what to believe. If
      this is the family we would seem to have to believe there are three column
      errors in the age marking. If it is not this family, what family is it? And
      how does it relate?

      Sincerely,
      Spencer Bullard
    • Sammie D. Loyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
        The introductory letter I saw had Nathan? which indicated a doubt. Sam Loyd

      • Babbimac@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 1999
          Spence:

          I have wondered the same thing. I can send a copy to everyone. I believe we
          even wondered if this Nathan could have had the middle name Wright. Or vice
          versa. If there were more than one Nathan maybe that was to distinguish them
          apart in the family.
          I have family on my daddys side who went by their middle names because there
          were more than one person with the same first name.

          Barbi T