Re: Phoebe Bullard and Wagon trains

  • Carole Hedger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 1999
      Eva, there was quite a bit of discussion on wagaon trains on the Coryell
      list recently. I saved this. I don't recall, but we can check with
      Bobbie to see if there was a link mentioned for actual wagon trains
      research.

      BTW, I live about an hour from Modesto.

      Best regards,
      Carole

      Subject:
      [TXCORYEL-L] wagon trains
      Date:
      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:30:36 -0500
      From:
      "Bobbie Ross" <bwross@...>
      To:
      TXCORYEL-L@...

      This came in on another list and since Coryell County was
      partially settled
      by
      several wagon trains, I felt that you would all enjoy seeing a
      copy of
      this.
      >What to take on a Wagon Train
      >
      >I hope you all enjoy this, I am passing it on. This
      was extracted from
      >pages 499-500 of Wayne County KY Marriage
      >and Vital Records Vol. 2. The list is what each person
      was allowed to
      >take in the early wagon train migrations.
      >Per Wagon
      >
      >150 Lb.. of Flour
      >25 Lb. of Bacon
      >10 Lb.. Rice
      >15 Lb.. Coffee
      >2 Lb.. Tea
      >25 Lb.. Sugar
      >1/2 Bushel dried peas
      >1/2 Bushel dried fruit
      >2 lb.. Soleratus (Baking Soda)
      >10 Lb.. Salt
      >1/2 Bushel Corn Meal
      >1/2 Small Keg Vinegar
      >Pepper
      >
      >Clothing per person
      >
      >Men:
      >2 Wool Shirts
      >2 Wool Undershirts
      >
      >Women
      >2 Wool Dresses
      >
      >Both:
      >2 Pair Drawers
      >4 Pair Wool Socks
      >2 Pair cotton Socks
      >4 Colored Handkerchiefs
      >1 Pair Boots and Shoes
      >Poncho, Broad Rimmed Hat
      >
      >Miscellaneous Per Family
      >
      >Rifle, Ball & Powder
      >9-10 Gallon keg for Water
      >1 Axe
      >1 Hatchet
      >1 Spade
      >2 or 3 augers
      >1 Hand Saw
      >1 Whip or Cross-cut Saw
      >1 Plow Mold
      >At least 2 ropes
      >Mallet for driving picket pins
      >Matches carried in Bottles, corked
      >
      >Sewing Supplies:
      >(Placed in Buckskin or stout cloth bag)
      >Stout Linen thread
      >Large needles, thimble
      >Bit of Bee's Wax
      >Few Buttons, buckskin for patching
      >Paper of pins
      >
      >Personal Items
      >
      >1 Comb and Brush
      >2 Toothbrushes
      >1 Lb. Castile Soap
      >1 Belt Knife
      >1 Flint Stone
      >
      >Cooking Implements
      >
      >Baking pan0used for baking and roasting coffee
      >Mess Pan, wrought iron or tin
      >2 Churns one for sweet, one for sour milk
> [...]
      ---------------------------
      I have always felt that I would have been a good wagon train
      traveler and
      would have enjoyed living in those days, this list makes you
      stop and think
      tho. What is your response to this? Do you know any family
      stories about
      wagon trains that came to Coryell County?
      Bobbie Ross
      bwross@...
      County Co-ordinator for Coryell County, TX GenWeb project:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcoryel/
      Now hosting the Coryell County Mailing List (to subscribe,
      send a message
      containing the single word subscribe
      to TXCORYEL-L-request@... or for Digest mode to
      TXCORYEL-D-request@...
      with only word subscribe)
      Ross Family Website:http://www.htcomp.net/ross
      Coryell County Chapter National Society Daughters of the
      American
      Revolution:http://www.htcomp.net/ross/dar
      "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we
      shall find we
      have lost the future." Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
    • pknight
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 1999
        Eva and Onelisters,
        My mom said that she has been to Nixon Cemetary a long time ago. It is 6 1/2 miles S.E. of Tupelo. She says that there is nothing there but a Cemetary and a Church. She could not find Phoebe's grave. The caretaker sent her a list of every one burried there, but Phoebe was not on the list. She said that her grave might be unmarked. Since there was no record of her there, I wanted to know if you might have knowledge of a different location. I have heard that her daughter Mary was burried at Birds Prarie between Coalgate and Tupelo. Also that she may be burried there. Do you think that is the case? I don't know anymore. Thank you very much for tring to find out about her. If you hear of any other leads please let me know.
        Thanks again,
        Mandy