Betty BULLARD

  • Carole Hedger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 1998
      Elizabeth Matilda 'Betty' BULLARD was my GGgrandmother. She was b. 10
      Jan 1866 in Parker Co. TX, the daughter of Wright R. BULLARD and his
      first wife Rachel Virginia HAYS.

      Betty was m. 3 May 1891 in Erath Co.TX to John Franklin 'Frank' GROSS.
      They had 11 children, including two sets of fraternal twins:
      1-William Arthur GROSS b.24 Jul 1892 m.Myrtle May PRUETT (my
      grandparents)
      2-John Franklin GROSS JR. b.25 Oct 1893 d.24 Jan 1895. Buried in the
      Bullard Cemetery in Parker Co, little 'Johnnie' is one of the links that
      connected my GROSS family to the BULLARDs.I have visited the Cemetery,
      and it was a very moving experience.
      3-George A. GROSS b.24 May 1895 m. SMITH
      4-Mamie F. GROSS b.9 Oct 1897 m. Jacob 'Jake'PRUETT (Myrtle's bro.)
      5-Thomas.J.GROSS b.20 May 1899 d.27 Oct 1918 (influenza)
      6-Allison 'Doc'GROSS b.18 Ap 1901 m. Ruby
      7-Nettie GROSS b.18 Ap 1901 d.6 Nov 1910 (influenza)
      8-Claud GROSS b.7 Jul 1903 m. Della SMITH
      9-Maud GROSS b. 7 Jul 1903
      10-Jennie GROSS b.26 Dec 1905 m. Lee LOCKABY (?)
      11-Hattie GROSS b.23 Feb 1908 m. Q.P.BLACK

      There are many gaps in this GROSS line, as I have concentrated on other
      earlier ones. I do have a nice family portrait taken ca. 1910.

      After Frank died, Betty lived with one son or another, and finally left
      Texas to live with her oldest son in California.

      Elizabeth Matilda 'Betty' BULLARD GROSS died 23 Feb 1953 in French Camp,
      San Joaquin County, California, and is buried in Parkview Cemetery, near
      Lathrop--a 'fur piece' from Texas. I was 11 when she died, and remember
      her sitting in her rocking chair, in her little room off the kitchen,
      hand-piecing a quilt. I have the quilt-top she was working on when she
      died, it is a pattern called 'round-the world', and it is made of 1"
      squares.

      It was not until many years later that I became interested in family
      history and genealogy, but I remembered that Grandma GROSS (William's
      wife, Myrtle) always said Granny was a BULLARD. And so it started.

      I look forward to 'meeting' many BULLARD relatives here, renewing old
      connections, making new ones.

      Carole GROSS HEDGER
      (A native Californian with many Texas roots)
    • Carole Hedger