952BU HOCKEY UPDATE - JACK PARKER ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

  • cdral320
    Mar 11, 2013
      To all:

      In a bittersweet moment for many of us, Coach Jack Parker announced  (on his 68th birthday) he will retire when this season concludes. In a packed club room with many former players to include his teammates, players he coached as an assistant and those from his 40 years at the helm including this year's squad, he said it was time. He thanked the media for treating him fairly in good times and bad and the University for providing the support needed to be successful.

      AD Mike Lynch said there will be no shortage of applicants for a "marquee" job and that the search will be handled at the highest level (President & AD) Coach will likely be on the committee.

      It was announced that Jack's contract has been extended to 2018 and that he will be a special assistant to the President of the University involved with the capital campaign announced by BU.

      Coach said it was a little weird as there is still hockey to be played. He indicated he was thinking about wrapping things up last year but that changed with the off ice issues that transpired. He also made it clear that he was not going to announce before the season as he was not a fan of "farewell tours."

      I am not going to speculate as to who may be his successor as I have no inside knowledge. In the almost 50 years that I have followed the program (as a young fan, team manager, and alumnus) I have known 3 coaches, Jack Kelley, Leon Abbott, and Jack Parker. I have no idea who may apply from outside of the BU family. I do know that there is no shortage of possible candidates from the BU family. We will soon see.

      In the meantime I have often said that Jack would determine the time and manner of his leaving at that was proven today. He showed a great deal of class, spoke of the special relationship with Travis Roy and thanked everyone in the BU family.

      Having said all this he acknowledged that he will be back on the ice tomorrow and coaching this team as they prepare for Friday and Saturday night.

      Thanks to all of you former players who took the time to come back and wish Coach well.

      Until next time, be well.

      Chris Henes
      BU Hockey Alumni