The B# Newsletter (For Musicians)

  • Kenny Love
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 12, 2008
      The B# Newsletter (For Musicians)

      | The B# Newsletter | March 12, 2008

      Publisher: The B# Newsletter
      http://www.myspace.com/jazzman795
      http://www.eartastic.com
      Editor: Kenny Love
      Primary Email: kenlove@...
      Secondary Email: kennylove@...
      Web Site Sign-Up: http://yahoogroups.com/group/BSharpNews
      Email Subscribe: BSharpNews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Copyright © 2008 The B# Newsletter All Rights Reserved

      "The B# Newsletter" is a FREE music industry newsletter
      published by MuBiz.com. It is focused toward independent
      musicians and recording artists. Its intent is to inform and
      enlighten artists through articles, resources, products, and
      services that will significantly enhance them in their music
      careers. Additionally, it offers Op-Ed/Commentary on various
      Music industry headline news.

      IN THIS ISSUE…

      I. "Now, I Know Why The Werewolf Howls"

      By Kenny Love

      II. Music Business & Career Resources/Products/Services

      III. Some Humor, Perhaps?

      IV. Cheap Advertising Space

      I.
      "Now, I Know Why The Werewolf Howls"

      By Kenny Love

      Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved

      "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" is a 1969 autobiographical
      novel that focuses on the early years of author Maya Angelou's
      life. Written at the end of the American Civil Rights movement,
      the work explores the isolation and loneliness Angelou faced.

      Up far too late into the wee hours of the morning, an all too
      often zone in which I find myself, on one of these occasions, I
      also found myself considering Angelou's story and its parallel to
      the life of not only my own, but to many musicians.

      As a musician, it is more often than not, difficult to find a true
      friend aside from another musician (actually, the same is often
      true within the music community itself). But, for this article's
      purpose, as an example, non musicians seem to either view
      musicians as demigods due to their talent, or they are deemed
      freaks of society (a few choice fans may view us as both...
      simultaneously).

      After all, as musicians, we do not fit the status quo...the
      "blend in business as usual" scenario...the all encompassing
      process of graduating high school, going to college, and getting
      a job that we will retire from forty years later.

      No, even if we attend and complete college, then take a job in
      a local school district teaching the school band or choir in the
      interest of "normalizing" our lives, inevitably, we will be placed
      in society's one of two "demigod" or "freak" molds (again,
      perhaps, both simultaneously) dare we ever exit our nether
      world to perform publicly to a crowd of more than one.

      In my own personal experience, as well as the experiences of
      my musician friends/acquaintances, if you have been a musician
      for most of your life, it can be said that your existence within
      the world of music supersedes your playing an instrument,
      singing, performing, or composing.

      It is likely and, otherwise, a spiritual "calling" that will not let
      go. And, it can easily be said to have an inescapable hold on
      you...a blessing in a sense, yet and perhaps, even a curse...
      much like that dreaded 30-day interval of the silvery moon that
      your friendly neighborhood werewolf must endure and survive
      lifelong without bringing undue attention to himself or herself.

      And, it is a unique level of human spirituality that most non
      artists cannot and will likely never comprehend. In comparison
      to Ms. Angelou's work, along with our musical talent and the
      enjoyment of being blessed as a creator, comes a slightly
      seething loneliness that, in turn, maintains our honesty to our
      "calling."

      Regardless of your favorite genre that you dare not admit chose
      you, as opposed to your choosing it, you will likely agree that
      the common elements of anger, sadness, and other related and
      indifferent emotions can be derived from, at least, one song of
      any given artist's repertoire, whether that artist is Enya with
      her "Caribbean Blue" (Celtic), Roy Ayer's "Searching" (Jazz)
      Sting's "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" (Progressive Rock),
      Jill Scott's "Golden" (RnB), or any of Eryka Badu's works, as
      well as those of many other artists.

      And, as sad as it is for me to admit it, I have also found that
      many artists (including myself) can remain too close, too long,
      to their music without a vitally necessary unrelated diversion
      to overtly distract and save us from instituting a "Curt Cobain."

      Because, music has a uniquely powerful way of forcing a
      suppressed (and, often painful) personal history to the surface
      for re-evaluation and analysis. And, as musicians, and because
      we are creators, this is, possibly, the reason for our high degree
      of emotional response to it more so than non artists.

      While this article has been intended to serve as "body filler" for
      this newsletter, it also serves me well as a few moments of
      self-reflective therapy, as my spirit eclipse's the oh so soothing
      albeit depressing sounds of Ms. Lalah Hathaway's vocal lead
      (lyrics by Ms. Bette Midler) that cascade Mr. Joe Sample's
      rendition of Ms. Midler's "When Your Life Was Low" (it's on my
      playlist on my MySpace page, but don't listen too often, lest
      ye fall victim to and become a might painfully enthralled, such
      as my wretched soul hath done time and time again).

      Ignorance is bliss, and I often wish that I remained a non artist
      who had never learned what I now know about creating music,
      its mechanics, or its intricacies, such as how to arrange a
      particular chord inversion or a drum part's backbeat that not
      only evokes memories and/or emotions that either make me
      want to soar higher than Kal El could ever dream of doing, or
      seek the closest gunshop for "El Fin," but which either can draw
      the positive or negative tear from a too often dry bloody eye.

      And, after having self-analyzed, self-explored and self-purged,
      I too now know (and understand succinctly) why the werewolf
      howls at the first light of the beautiful silvery moon.

      Kenny Love

      Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved

      Editor's Note: Kenny Love serves the Music industry as an 18-year
      veteran radio/video promoter and print media publicist for Classical,
      Jazz, and Gospel recording artists, authors, and filmmakers. He is
      also co-owner of and Director of Marketing for Eartastic Records
      (http://www.eartastic.com). Visit and consider becoming his
      lifelong friend at http://www.myspace.com/jazzman795

      =====

      * As always, your comments regarding this article are very
      much appreciated, so please feel free to send them to
      kenlove@...

      Again, if you are an author who would like to contribute a
      "unique" article that helps musicians and recording artists
      succeed in their careers, please feel free to send it to me
      for consideration of publication within the B# Newsletter.

      Get a complete list of articles by checking the "Messages"
      section in the B# Newsletter on Yahoo! Groups at
      http://yahoogroups.com/group/BSharpNews

      =====

      Music Dish articles by Kenny Love:
      http://www.musicdish.com/kennylove/

      II. Music Business & Career Resources/Products/Services

      1. http://www.myspace.com/jazzman795
      (Here, I have an unrelated article titled, "How To Unclog
      Stuffed Nostrils," that is worth visiting the site alone. It
      reveals how I almost killed myself a few weeks ago while
      trying to unstuff my nose from a head cold. My youngest
      daughter laughed, even shouted with glee, even though
      it wasn't Christmas, as I writhed in pain and attempted to
      survive. But, that's not surprising, because she laughs
      at everything anyway.)

      2. http://www.airplaydirect.com/music/bands/236
      (Definitely, My Mid-Life Crisis Recording titled, "Vampire Love.")
      Note: It is available for sale on CD Baby at
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kennylove as well as available
      on iTunes.

      3. http://prweb.com/releases/2006/10/prweb466569.htm
      (Billboard Music News on "The B# Newsletter")

      4. http://prwebpodcast.com/releases/pod466569.htm
      (My Billboard Music News Radio Interview)

      (My Online Music Business Class)

      6. http://www.MuBiz.blogspot.com
      http://kennylove.wordpress.com/
      (My Music Blogs)

      7. http://www.eartastic.com/kl/VS.html
      (As A Musician, You May Need Some [Or All] Of These)

      III. Some Humor, Perhaps?

      "The Case Of The Great CD Cover Mystery"
      http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=10555

      Scary Review 1
      http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=2132

      Scary Review 2
      http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=4780

      "Attack of the Killer Musicians!"
      http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=4525

      [---CHEAP ADVERTISING SPACE---]

      The B# Newsletter now has over 2,000 dedicated
      musicians as subscribers. If you own a music
      business, product or service that musicians need to
      know about, or you need to get information out to
      musicians regarding a Music event or other function,
      why not present it to this ready-to-buy market through
      our newsletter?

      After all, our rate is only $20 per weekly issue. Plus,
      your ad stays in our "open" archives forever.

      Your ad will include an ALL CAPS headline and 6
      additional text lines that are 60 characters in length
      for each line.

      To purchase your ad via http://www.PayPal.com
      simply use my email address ( kenlove@...),
      as well as send your ad to me at the above email
      address.

      Got Questions, Issues, Answers, News, or anything
      of value to add to the content of "The B# Newsletter?"
      If so, I encourage you to please feel free in contacting
      me at: BSharpNews-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Also, if you are aware of any fellow independent
      musicians and recording artists who might benefit from
      this newsletter, why not inform them about it? Or better
      yet, why not forward them a copy of this edition for them
      to preview?

      Thank you for reading me...until next time…

      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 12, 2008