How To Succeed In Getting Gig/Tour Press

  • Kenny Love
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2008
      How To Succeed In Getting Gig/Tour Press

      By Kenny Love

      I am, once again, writing articles and columns for a number
      of external music and arts/entertainment publications (both
      online and print versions), and you are likely to see them in
      a few additional areas.

      As such, one of my new editors recently received a
      question from a musician who is having more than her fair
      share of problems obtaining print media coverage in areas
      where her band is touring.

      I have maintained the correspondence flow chronologically
      so that you can follow its progression.

      Hopefully, my advice can benefit you and your band as
      well should you experience similar difficulties with obtaining
      print media support for your gigs/tours.

      From: Megan Jean

      Hi Corey,

      I love your blog, i read it a lot. I started touring with my
      band last fall (we were in New York City before that...), and
      we're about to leave on another tour for our debut ep.
      Booking is going as well as can be expected starting out,
      but we're having a hell of a time getting any press...we
      have a kit and an epk, and a press release, and we send off
      everywhere, but we're in that limbo spot where honestly,
      not many people care about our music enough yet...any
      suggestions? If you have time, our stuff is at:

      http://www.meganjean.net
      http://www.myspace.com/meganjeanband
      http://www.sonicbids.com/meganjeanandtheklayfamilyband

      I'd really appreciate any advice or feedback, and if you'd
      like to write something, I wouldn't be disappointed.

      Thanks for your blog, and what you do!

      Megan Jean

      From: Corey Koehler
      To: Megan Jean
      Cc: Kenny Love
      Subject: Re: Advice for a newly touring musician...

      Megan,

      First, I am going to check out your music and see if there is
      anything I can do.

      Next, I am going to copy a man named Kenny Love. He has
      over 18 years of experience helping musicians like yourself.

      Also, Kenny is going to be guest blogging on the Musicgoat
      in the future. He will be offering up tips for musicians
      perhaps this is a good place to start.

      Corey

      Hi, Corey:

      What has been occurring for several years (if not longer)
      and, particularly, with local and regional print publications,
      is a little thing called "nepotism."

      I utilize this phrase to describe print papers that will only
      devote "ink" (press coverage) to their local/regional up-
      and-coming musical artists, with the only exceptions being
      granted for mega superstars or outside artists who are
      coming into the media sources' area for performances, of
      which the latter describes Megan and her group.

      And, since she and her band are, indeed, touring and
      "qualify" for coverage in their performance areas, they
      should conducte an in-depth search on the web (using
      Google) for print media in each of their tour stops.

      As an example, and in Megan's situation, if she is playing
      Richmond, Virginia, she should simply use Google to search
      phrases such as:

      * "richmond, virginia print media"
      * "richmond, virginia print publications"
      * "richmond, virginia music magazines"
      * "richmond, virginia arts and entertainment magazines"
      * "richmond, virginia daily newspapers"
      * "richmond, virginia weekly newspapers"

      or similar key phrases.

      She should then contact the print editors or music editors
      in each area where she will be appear and inform them on
      her performance location, i.e., name of venue, date, time,
      etc. and also request if the editor would be interested in
      interviewing her/the band in advance of their performance.

      At this time, she should also direct the media to her
      website for advance review of her music, biography, etc.
      With print publications, she can do interviews via telephone,
      or if the media prefers "in person" interviews, she could
      simply schedule the interview earlier in the day prior to her
      performance, which will mean she will need to get into
      town a bit earlier than normal set-up time.

      Megan should also bear in mind that, with print publications,
      "lead time" (the amount of advance time publications require
      to review projects before writing about them) is very crucial
      in order to ensure media coverage.

      Daily newspapers, generally, demand a minimum of 2-3 weeks
      "lead time" and, possibly, longer depending on the publication.
      The "trick" is to stay anywhere from 3-4 weeks ahead with
      the ("lead time") of each tour appearance.

      Example: For an upcoming May 3, 2008 appearance, daily
      print media contacts should be initiated around April 10th at
      the *latest*.

      Likewise, she should also contact radio station talk shows,
      television morning shows, prime time talk/interview shows,
      television newscasts, and cable music and entertainment
      shows at *each* station in each of her tour cities.

      Should she secure any media interviews, she should then
      notify other media contacts in the same area that she will
      be interviewing with the particular source, in an effort to
      influence them to consider her as well, in addition to
      requesting their reviewing her already scheduled interview.
      This can (sometimes) serve to foster a bit of competition
      between local media, with all being good for the musical
      group.

      To add even better "fuel to the fire," she should invite all
      media contacts in *each* area out to her performances.
      This can, potentially, serve as background media coverage
      *after* she has performed, and the opportunity to get
      TWO bits of media coverage, thus, prolonging her exposure
      in a single area.

      She should be sure to provide complementary media passes
      for all local media contacts that have agreed to come out
      to the show, as well as inform the venue owners of the
      media contact names. This should be tightly coordinated
      and confirmed with venue owners or managers.

      While this seems a bit more work, as you can see, there are
      definite advantages and as well as "extra" opportunities for
      media coverage within a single tour location if conducted
      well.

      Now, multiply this degree of opportunity within *each* tour
      area, and she is likely to create quite a buzz on her tour
      route as well as have a degree of successful results through
      implementing this proactive process.

      Kenny Love, Director of Marketing
      Eartastic Records
      http://www.myspace.com/jazzman795
      http://www.eartastic.com
      kennylove@...
      (936)545-0381 (satellite office)
      (281)550-9445 (record label)

      SPONSOR: http://www.eartastic.com/kl/VS.html

      NOTE: I am also serving as a radio/video promoter and print
      media publicist for Classical, Jazz, & Gospel recording artists.