RE: [BRCG-List] maskmaking workshop

  • Vicki Glover
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
      This is a two-part workshop; the first will be this Sunday, Dec 4th @ 2 pm,
      where we will be helping each other make plaster bandage castings of our
      faces, so we can build a cast stone life mask to use as a base for the
      molded leather maskmaking workshop the following Sunday at 2 pm. I chose to
      go with the plaster bandage-directly-to-the-greased-face method (note, NOT
      the apply glops of plaster directly to the face method) rather than the
      alginate method, for one thing, because I haven't done the alginate method,
      it's trickier, and also because that method should have at least 2 people
      working on the application to the "victim" and requires that you cast the
      positive immediately, so it is best done in very small groups. (Also
      because the plaster bandage method is cheaper.) With the plaster bandage
      way, you also have a re-useable negative, that you can cast at home and, if
      you want to, can be used as a mask in itself.

      The following week, I will be leading participants in making custom molded
      leather masks. Those who are getting ready for the Somewhere in time 18th
      Century Commedia d'la Arte Carnivale. Note it is not required to attend one
      workshop to attend the other . If you want to do the leather maskmaking, if
      you don't have a lifemask, you could use, say, one of those ceramic
      decorative masks (available at some dollar stores, like the one in Ballard
      had about a month back that they may still have), or you could make a face
      form out of one of the blank face masks.

      Anyway, stay tuned. I would like to know who plans to attend either. My
      home phone is 206-297-0954 if you don't have access to your email on
      weekends.

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
        Curantly planning to attend both, but........may have Grandchildren here this
        weekend. Am
        waiting to hear. Still need a list of what we might need to bring with us,
        ie. Something to
        protect our clothing, jars of vasoline, dull scissors for cutting plaster
        bandage, etc.

        Hope to be able to make it. Your house, right? Carol

      • Cazbalina@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
          Oh, yes..........is there a charge for materials? only fair. and should we
          bring
          munchies and drinks even though our lips will be under a layer of plaster?
          Hugs, Carol

        • Vicki Glover
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
            Ok, the workshop will be at my house, 650 NW 76th St, Seattle, Sunday, Dec
            4, at 2 pm. My house is in between the Phinney Ridge neighborhood &
            Ballard, so if you go by I-5, get off at the 85th St exit, stay on 85th,
            past Aurora, past Greenwood, until you get to 3rd NW, where there is a
            traffic light (large parking lot w/Greenwood Market on your right, Taco
            restaurant to your left). Turn left (south). Go to 76th (house with a LARGE
            chain-link fenced yard in front of you on the right, with a children Xing
            sign by it). Turn right. Go two blocks, past the pocket park on your
            right, and right before you get to 8th (which has a meridian to block you),
            there will be a lilac/periwinkle blue house, with a driveway & a hedge & a
            motorcycle against the fence. That is my house. My phone # is
            206-297-0954. Warning; I have 2 cats, so if you're allergic, take your
            antihistamine beforehand. (Don't want to have a clogged nose while we
            plaster you up.) And, um, don't expect my house interior or exterior to be
            like Martha Stewart's. At this point, it's a little more like the "before"
            of the houses in "Clean Sweep." (Well, parts of it, anyway.)

            Also, if you are coming to have your face (or skull, in one case) plastered,
            you MUST stay & do the same to your partner (unless special dispensation is
            given). No coming, saying, oops, gotta run & leaving your partner's face
            undone.

            What to bring: munchies or beverages (preferably to share), a towel &
            whatever face cleanser you want, a headband & shower cap or bathing cap. I
            do have some spares of these items, if you absolutely don't have them or
            can't pick some up easily. I will supply all materials & tools you need
            while you're here, and there will be a small charge to cover cost of
            material, $8.00 for members, 10.00 non-members.I will be most likely be
            sending you home with instructions on how to make your positive mold from
            the negative we will be making here, instead of making the positive cast
            here, too, and unless I find some casting material laying around someplace,
            you will have to supply your own at some later date. I prefer that you not
            use plaster of paris, because the leather maskmaking requires application of
            wet leather to the lifemask form, and plaster of paris I think will start to
            dissolve. I'm thinking more of a fine-grade concrete

            So, so far I've got Susan C, JoAnne S, Julia S, and Carol Z (who may not be
            able to make it cause of grandparent duties) who have said they would come,
            with a possibily of Steve G. Was anyone else planning to come?

            _____

          • Janet Borkowski
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2005
              On Dec 3, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Vicki Glover wrote:

              > . I prefer that you not
              > use plaster of paris, because the leather maskmaking requires
              > application of
              > wet leather to the lifemask form, and plaster of paris I think will
              > start to
              > dissolve. I'm thinking more of a fine-grade concrete

              Vicki,
              My life mask was made in a class taught by Diane Tripp a maskmaker
              here in Portland. She had us wrap our plaster forms in aluminum foil.
              It has served me quite well for a very long time.

              Janet B