RE: [BRCG-List] Folkwear patterns

  • Katherine Daida
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
      Nothing the size and scale of Fabric Depot or Mill End. Pacific Fabrics is the local high end chain, and they do have an outlet in South Seattle. There are a couple of smaller stores - one on Queen Anne that I can't remember the name of. Portland is more of a fabric town than Seattle is.Katt

      To: BRCG-List@yahoogroups.comFrom: k_salmon@...: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:16:17 -0700Subject: Re: [BRCG-List] Folkwear patterns

      Thanks... after knowing all Portland's places to buy, I feel at quite a loss here for the moment.Anything like Fabric depot here? Or Mill End? I've got a little Joann's just down the street.But they don't have the Northcott pattern I'm looking for.On Sep 30, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Victoria Shaffer wrote:> Pacific Fabrics at Northgate used to carry them - I assume they > still do.>> On 9/30/07, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:>>>> where can I find them in Seattle, please?>>>>>>>>>> -- > http://dbvictoria.livejournal.com/> http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5068836>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>

    • Melissa Quinn
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
        The shop in Queen Anne is Nancy's Workbasket and carries imported
        fabrics or designer bolt ends. Their Ribbon Room is candy shop,
        especially if you're into ribbon embroidery or need vintage trims or
        buttons.

        Each Pacific Fabrics store has a different focus (quilting, home dec,
        bridal, etc.) so not all stores are created equal. The Northgate
        store carries a lot of the bridal and costume fabrics. The Sodo
        outlet has a lot of home dec and remnant tables. The Puyallup store
        has a home dec focus, I hear, and Everett is all about the quilting.

        Other than the stores Katt mentioned, there's the occasional
        Hancock's and Seattle Fabrics, which is a fun place to wander. They
        specialize in outer wear and sportswear fabrics, and have a good
        selection of outdoor gear findings and heavy duty snaps.

        --Melissa

        --- In BRCG-List@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Daida <kattdaida@...>
        wrote:

        > Nothing the size and scale of Fabric Depot or Mill End. Pacific
        Fabrics is the local high end chain, and they do have an outlet in
        South Seattle. There are a couple of smaller stores - one on Queen
        Anne that I can't remember the name of. Portland is more of a fabric
        town than Seattle is.Katt

        > To: BRCG-List@...: k_salmon@...: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:16:17 -
        0700Subject: Re: [BRCG-List] Folkwear patterns

      • JKirley@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
          In a message dated 9/30/2007 5:16:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          k_salmon@... writes:

          Thanks... after knowing all Portland's places to buy, I feel at quite
          a loss here for the moment.
          Anything like Fabric depot here? Or Mill End? I've got a little
          Joann's just down the street.
          But they don't have the Northcott pattern I'm looking for.

          There is always online, too.

          Melissa listed several of the local fabric shops, I'd like to put in my oar
          as well-- in the Highland Hills area of Renton (where the Hancock's used to be)
          is an Indian run fabric shop -- and there are a very few smaller ones on
          Kent's East Hills as well. So for those who need a Punjab fix can do so without
          the hassle of a road trip. The one in HH has a nice assortment of stretch
          velvets. What's nice is that they carry fabrics outside the current popular
          spectrum of colors and types. I have not tried negotiating down the prices yet
          though -- the prices are good enough in most cases, but I've not had to buy large
          quantities of any particular thing.

          JoAnne

        • KENNETH C DAWE
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
            And Ken lives in terror of Carole visiting the Sari store across the street from us, here on Kent West Hill...

            ************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com<http://www.aol.com/>

            Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest<mailto:BRCG-List-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> | Switch format to Traditional<mailto:BRCG-List-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional>
            Visit Your Group <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BRCG-List;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOXU2ZHFnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2NDA1NTA5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNzMwMDMzNwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE5MTI1ODEwOA-->| Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>| Unsubscribe <mailto:BRCG-List-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=>.

          • pippinsa@juno.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
              So sorry, Kier, it appears to the sewing community of Seattle that fabric stores are disappearing or changing to craft stores. The three chains we have are Joann Fabrics, Pacific Fabrics, and one or two Hancock Fabrics (left). There are some very small independent places, such as Nancy's Sewing Basket on Queen Anne, as well as some places that specialize in quilt and interior decor fabrics scattered around, but no large warehouse style places like in Portland. We are very sad about this, and some of us look forward to trips to Portland to visit Fabric Depot. If my assessment has missed anything, I welcome additions.

              Pippin Sardo
              425-821-8834
              Please note: message attached

            • Sue Renhard
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                  In a message dated 10/1/2007 12:00:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  BEARWOLF92@... writes:

                  And Ken lives in terror of Carole visiting the Sari store across the street
                  from us, here on Kent West Hill...

                  Oops, I meant West Hill, my bad. Thanks, Carol!

                • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                    And Ken lives in terror of Carole visiting the Sari store across the
                    street
                    from us, here on Kent West Hill...

                    ------------------

                    Well, wherever it is, it's been a while since Carol and I strolled
                    across the street and checked the place out. And I do need some velvet .
                    . .

                    Oh, Carol . . . ;)
                    Kate McClure
                    "Kate, you are an evil, evil woman."
                    "Yeah, and I'm good at it, too."
                    - M.E.

                  • Janet Borkowski
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                      Portland may have big fabric stores , but we really only have one place
                      worth going to for saris , Srider's in Tigard

                      Janet B

                      On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:34 PM, JKirley@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 10/1/2007 12:00:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                      > BEARWOLF92@... writes:
                      >
                      > And Ken lives in terror of Carole visiting the Sari store across the
                      > street
                      > from us, here on Kent West Hill...
                      >
                      > Oops, I meant West Hill, my bad. Thanks, Carol!

                      "The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail"
                      - Stephen Fry

                    • Kier Salmon
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                        No, there's the fabric shop out by the airport... I've gotten a lot
                        of great stuff from them... lemme see:
                        "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned velvet
                        and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.
                        6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
                        But I love Sridar's, although they consolidated. The food store now
                        does both and the corner shop with all the maniquins is gone. Has
                        been for about a year.

                        On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Janet Borkowski wrote:

                        > Portland may have big fabric stores , but we really only have one
                        > place
                        > worth going to for saris , Srider's in Tigard
                        >
                        > Janet B
                        >

                        > On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:34 PM, JKirley@... wrote:
                        >

                        >> In a message dated 10/1/2007 12:00:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        >> BEARWOLF92@... writes:
                        >>
                        >> And Ken lives in terror of Carole visiting the Sari store across the
                        >> street
                        >> from us, here on Kent West Hill...
                        >>
                        >> Oops, I meant West Hill, my bad. Thanks, Carol!

                        > "The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail"
                        > - Stephen Fry

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Janet Borkowski
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                          On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Kier Salmon wrote:

                          > But I love Sridar's, although they consolidated. The food store now
                          > does both and the corner shop with all the mannequins is gone. Has
                          > been for about a year.

                          Bummer! I loved the funky little grocery and the separate clothing
                          store. I haven't been out there in ages , I tend to buy on e-bay for
                          Indian clothing. Speaking of which , does dry cleaning REALLY get the
                          scent of mildew out of fabric? I just got a sari from India and I
                          realize the word " vintage" means "stuck in a warehouse in monsoon
                          season and now stinks".

                          BTW Kier , I hadn't realized you'd moved North! I'm still here in PDX
                          although , most of "my friends in funny clothes" are up there.

                          Janet B

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                            On Oct 1, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Janet Borkowski wrote:
                            > On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Kier Salmon wrote:
                            >> But I love Sridar's, although they consolidated. The food store now
                            >> does both and the corner shop with all the mannequins is gone. Has
                            >> been for about a year.
                            > Bummer! I loved the funky little grocery and the separate clothing
                            > store. I haven't been out there in ages , I tend to buy on e-bay for
                            > Indian clothing. Speaking of which , does dry cleaning REALLY get the
                            > scent of mildew out of fabric? I just got a sari from India and I
                            > realize the word " vintage" means "stuck in a warehouse in monsoon
                            > season and now stinks".
                            >
                            > BTW Kier , I hadn't realized you'd moved North! I'm still here in
                            > PDX
                            > although , most of "my friends in funny clothes" are up there.
                            >
                            > Janet B
                            Move Aug 15. mildew is tricky is it artificial fabric or silk or
                            cotton? I wouldn't dry clean, I'd wash gentle and hang in sun...
                            yeah, that's th real problem, hang in sun
                          • Julie Zetterberg
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                              --- In BRCG-List@yahoogroups.com, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:

                              > No, there's the fabric shop out by the airport... I've gotten a lot
                              > of great stuff from them... lemme see:
                              > "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned velvet
                              > and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.
                              > 6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR

                              That's actually the sister store (run by the same family) as the Renton
                              Highlands "Fabrics for Less." The Renton store isn't quite as big as
                              the Portland one, but they carry a good selection of the same stuff.

                              It's small consolation for the fact that the same space was up until a
                              couple of years ago occupied by one of the few remaining Hancock
                              Fabrics in the area.

                              --Julie ZS
                            • Janet Borkowski
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                                I still go to the Hancocks in Vancouver , just up the freeway ,7 miles
                                from my house , but the last time I was there( Wednesday) , It looks
                                like there is more furniture and home decor stuff than fabric. *Sigh* I
                                think the days of good cheap fabric stores are numbered

                                Janet B
                                On Oct 1, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Julie Zetterberg wrote:

                                > --- In BRCG-List@yahoogroups.com, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > No, there's the fabric shop out by the airport... I've gotten a lot
                                > > of great stuff from them... lemme see:
                                > > "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned velvet
                                > > and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.
                                > > 6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
                                >
                                > That's actually the sister store (run by the same family) as the
                                > Renton
                                > Highlands "Fabrics for Less." The Renton store isn't quite as big as
                                > the Portland one, but they carry a good selection of the same stuff.
                                >
                                > It's small consolation for the fact that the same space was up until a
                                > couple of years ago occupied by one of the few remaining Hancock
                                > Fabrics in the area.
                                >
                                > --Julie ZS

                                "The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail"
                                - Stephen Fry

                              • joanneespink
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 1, 2007
                                  I think Nancy's Sewing Basket on Queen Anne carries Folkwear Patterns.
                                  I know they have the pattern book.

                                  Joanne S
                                • juliaclayton
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                    <Each Pacific Fabrics store has a different focus (quilting, home dec,
                                    bridal, etc.) so not all stores are created equal. The Northgate
                                    store carries a lot of the bridal and costume fabrics. The Sodo
                                    outlet has a lot of home dec and remnant tables. The Puyallup store
                                    has a home dec focus, I hear, and Everett is all about the quilting.>

                                    When I was still working there, a year plus now, the Puyallup and
                                    Bremerton stores were about the quilting, and Everett both quilting
                                    and home dec. Issaquah is home dec. central with all the expensive
                                    tapestries and silks and Fourth Ave., the outlet store all the cheaper
                                    ends stuff and half off all crafts and discontinued notions, with
                                    cheaper quilting fabrics. A lot of good finds there, that is the
                                    store I worked at. Northgate is indeed costume/Bridal central with
                                    all the expensive silks, fantasy fabrics and trims. They also carry
                                    Folkwear patterns at least did when I was there. They also have a 10%
                                    discount for SCA members.

                                    The chain is family owned since 1915 and has outlived several
                                    recessions and a depression. The iron and metal recycling department
                                    is primarily responsible for keeping them afloat. They also sometimes
                                    have some interesting findings for costuming at the building supplies
                                    store just south of the outlet store.

                                    Julia
                                  • Kathy
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                      We just picked up some Fresh Ayre at McLendon's (also available on line)
                                      and Robb thinks it works better than Febreze. He says initially (for a
                                      few minutes) it stinks medicinally, but get out the odors better and
                                      without the perfume.

                                      For actually killing the mildew, check your "How to Clean Most Anything"
                                      book from Consumer Reports, or your textile cleaning charts.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                        Is there still a Lynnwood store of this family chain?

                                        Julie Zetterberg wrote:
                                        >> "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned velvet
                                        >> and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.
                                        >> 6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
                                        >
                                        > That's actually the sister store (run by the same family) as the Renton
                                        > Highlands "Fabrics for Less." The Renton store isn't quite as big as
                                        > the Portland one, but they carry a good selection of the same stuff.

                                        > --Julie ZS
                                      • fittingrm
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                          I used Dryel on my childhood cloths that had 40 yrs of Vashon Mildew
                                          smell that nothing had touched, and it worked - I was amazed. And, the
                                          spot remover that comes with it is my favorite - (sometimes with sari's
                                          it is oxidation of the metal threads - a nasty thing to get rid of.)
                                          I have heard of a product called "0" that I'm looking for, that is
                                          supposed to be better than Fabrese - Anyone seen it?
                                          Marie
                                        • Julie Zetterberg
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                            As far as I know, that store wasn't one of theirs; in any case, I
                                            believe someone posted here that the store in question has closed.

                                            -- In BRCG-List@yahoogroups.com, Kathy <kathy@...> wrote:

                                            > Is there still a Lynnwood store of this family chain?
                                            >

                                            > Julie Zetterberg wrote:
                                            > >> "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned
                                            velvet
                                            > >> and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.
                                            > >> 6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR
                                            > >
                                            > > That's actually the sister store (run by the same family) as the
                                            Renton
                                            > > Highlands "Fabrics for Less." The Renton store isn't quite as
                                            big as
                                            > > the Portland one, but they carry a good selection of the same
                                            stuff.

                                            > > --Julie ZS

                                          • Katherine Daida
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                              There is a store in Alderwood, across the street from the mall - I think it's called Discount Fabrics. I don't know if it is part of that chain or not.

                                              Katt

                                              To: BRCG-List@yahoogroups.comFrom: kathy@...: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:17:57 -0700Subject: [BRCG-List] fabrics

                                              Is there still a Lynnwood store of this family chain?Julie Zetterberg wrote:>> "Fabrics for Less"... lot's of that stretch velvet and burned velvet >> and brocades and funk as well as serious gauzy and solids.>> 6940 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR> > That's actually the sister store (run by the same family) as the Renton > Highlands "Fabrics for Less." The Renton store isn't quite as big as > the Portland one, but they carry a good selection of the same stuff. > --Julie ZS

                                            • Vicki Glover
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                The beginning of the year, I discovered an outlet store in Tukwila, on the
                                                route of the bus that goes to the King County Regional Justice Center in
                                                Renton. I think that was route 150, so I think that would make the store on
                                                Andover Park West, in one of those long low-level buildings (or series of
                                                buildings built right up against each other?) that hold mattress stores &
                                                outlet stores of various kinds-at the end of the block (going South, past
                                                the store) was a big furniture store. The fabric store wasn't as big a Mill
                                                End, but it had some real good deals on some interesting fabrics and trims,
                                                and it also had books, notions and other sewing-related stuff. I don't know
                                                if it's still there, though, so I don't know if I've helped much.

                                                Vicki

                                              • Victoria Shaffer
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 6, 2007
                                                  It's under new management and doesn't have quite the selection it used to,
                                                  and the prices are higher