Re: [BRCG-List] BeyondCon Agenda

  • Richard Stephens
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2013
      How many hours of programming do we budget for BEYONDCON now and how
      many hours do we allocate for hands on workshops?

      Richard

      Do we have a database of who has worked as a "pro" at recent BEYONDCON's?

      On 9/16/13, Torrey Stenmark <tereshkova2001@...> wrote:
      > I'll do more research today; very little cool sci-fi is set in the 2040's or
      > the 2140's. I'll find something. Or make it up!
      >
      > Torrey
      >
      > On Sep 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:
      >
      >> No, I wanted to 1640, Charles the second and the Sun King.
      >> Also, changing fashions in the colonial era, England, New England, Spain
      >> and Novo España.
      >> ALl fals under 1640.
      >>
      >> On Sep 15, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Lisa Satterlund wrote:
      >>

      >> > 1. Who wants to do what? (Richard - programming)
      >> > 2. Program volunteers
      >> > 1340s (is that right, Jonalyhn?)
      >> > 1540s (Kier?)
      >> > 1940s (Audrey)
      >> > 2040s (Torrey).
      >> > I've forgotten what decade the gentleman with the Japanese costumes
      >> > wanted to do; I think it was the 1640s. I need his name, too, since I
      >> > can't find my notes.
      >> >
      >> > See, I promised it would be short.
      >> >
      >> > Lisa

    • Richard Stephens
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2013
        Typically do we put out a call on this list or at our BRCG meeting to find  out who would be interested, willing to talk on a subject that fits our theme for BEYONDCON, if it is a panel or  a workshop  - or do we provide a list of suggested panel or workshop topics and see who is willing to speak on which subject?

        Also, how much "inbreeding" do we want - in other words, say for example, 1640's - do we stay within our own group or do we ask someone outside who specializes in Cavalier era clothing, i.e., Carmen Beaudry from the SCA, etc.

        It has been years since I have attended BEYONDCON, though I follow it vicariously on line, I am thrilled to be actively working on it again.

        Richard

        On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Richard Stephens <dramarex@...> wrote:
        How many hours of programming do we budget for BEYONDCON now and how
        many hours do we allocate for hands on workshops?

        Richard

        Do we have a database of who has worked as a "pro" at recent BEYONDCON's?

        On 9/16/13, Torrey Stenmark <tereshkova2001@...> wrote:
        > I'll do more research today; very little cool sci-fi is set in the 2040's or
        > the 2140's. I'll find something. Or make it up!
        >
        > Torrey
        >
        > On Sep 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:
        >
        >> No, I wanted to 1640, Charles the second and the Sun King.
        >> Also, changing fashions in the colonial era, England, New England, Spain
        >> and Novo España.
        >> ALl fals under 1640.
        >>
        >> On Sep 15, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Lisa Satterlund wrote:
        >>

        >> > 1. Who wants to do what? (Richard - programming)
        >> > 2. Program volunteers
        >> > 1340s (is that right, Jonalyhn?)
        >> > 1540s (Kier?)
        >> > 1940s (Audrey)
        >> > 2040s (Torrey).
        >> > I've forgotten what decade the gentleman with the Japanese costumes
        >> > wanted to do; I think it was the 1640s. I need his name, too, since I
        >> > can't find my notes.
        >> >
        >> > See, I promised it would be short.
        >> >
        >> > Lisa

      • Carol Zebold
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
          Yo, Richard-Dahling!

          I haven't signed myself up for anything as I will be in Mexico until Feb. 17th.  Of course I will
          not be able to help myself when it comes time to load the car with stuff that NOBODY is expecting
          me to bring! O.K., no more fans or poodle skirts or Aloha shirts.   So far bad 40's puns that nobody else will understand (remember the scarlet pumpernickel and the A-Prawn?) have not crossed my mind but...........

          Do you think we could suck Carmen in?  and PLEASE get back the chap that did the Japanese
          panel I had to miss last year.  In the past we have not stayed within the BRCG and have had SITU, Steampunk, and Regency folks as well as guests from other states when we snare them.

          Carol Z.

          On Sep 16, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Richard Stephens wrote:

          Typically do we put out a call on this list or at our BRCG meeting to find  out who would be interested, willing to talk on a subject that fits our theme for BEYONDCON, if it is a panel or  a workshop  - or do we provide a list of suggested panel or workshop topics and see who is willing to speak on which subject?

          Also, how much "inbreeding" do we want - in other words, say for example, 1640's - do we stay within our own group or do we ask someone outside who specializes in Cavalier era clothing, i.e., Carmen Beaudry from the SCA, etc.

          It has been years since I have attended BEYONDCON, though I follow it vicariously on line, I am thrilled to be actively working on it again.

          Richard

          On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Richard Stephens <dramarex@...> wrote:
          How many hours of programming do we budget for BEYONDCON now and how
          many hours do we allocate for hands on workshops?

          Richard

          Do we have a database of who has worked as a "pro" at recent BEYONDCON's?

          On 9/16/13, Torrey Stenmark <tereshkova2001@...> wrote:
          > I'll do more research today; very little cool sci-fi is set in the 2040's or
          > the 2140's. I'll find something. Or make it up!
          >
          > Torrey
          >
          > On Sep 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:
          >
          >> No, I wanted to 1640, Charles the second and the Sun King.
          >> Also, changing fashions in the colonial era, England, New England, Spain
          >> and Novo España.
          >> ALl fals under 1640.
          >>
          >> On Sep 15, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Lisa Satterlund wrote:
          >>

          >> > 1. Who wants to do what? (Richard - programming)
          >> > 2. Program volunteers
          >> > 1340s (is that right, Jonalyhn?)
          >> > 1540s (Kier?)
          >> > 1940s (Audrey)
          >> > 2040s (Torrey).
          >> > I've forgotten what decade the gentleman with the Japanese costumes
          >> > wanted to do; I think it was the 1640s. I need his name, too, since I
          >> > can't find my notes.
          >> >
          >> > See, I promised it would be short.
          >> >
          >> > Lisa

        • Carol Zebold
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
            Hey, on July 10, 1040 - Lady Godiva rode naked on horseback to force her husband, the Earl of Mercia, to lower taxes .  How much am I paid NOT to do this??!!! On Aug 15th of the same year, Macbeth killed his cousin King Duncan.  It is more likely that I see a Lady Macbeth theme in my
            future; these hands could use a good washing. CAZ

            On Sep 16, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Richard Stephens wrote:

            Typically do we put out a call on this list or at our BRCG meeting to find  out who would be interested, willing to talk on a subject that fits our theme for BEYONDCON, if it is a panel or  a workshop  - or do we provide a list of suggested panel or workshop topics and see who is willing to speak on which subject?

            Also, how much "inbreeding" do we want - in other words, say for example, 1640's - do we stay within our own group or do we ask someone outside who specializes in Cavalier era clothing, i.e., Carmen Beaudry from the SCA, etc.

            It has been years since I have attended BEYONDCON, though I follow it vicariously on line, I am thrilled to be actively working on it again.

            Richard

            On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Richard Stephens <dramarex@...> wrote:
            How many hours of programming do we budget for BEYONDCON now and how
            many hours do we allocate for hands on workshops?

            Richard

            Do we have a database of who has worked as a "pro" at recent BEYONDCON's?

            On 9/16/13, Torrey Stenmark <tereshkova2001@...> wrote:
            > I'll do more research today; very little cool sci-fi is set in the 2040's or
            > the 2140's. I'll find something. Or make it up!
            >
            > Torrey
            >
            > On Sep 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM, Kier Salmon <k_salmon@...> wrote:
            >
            >> No, I wanted to 1640, Charles the second and the Sun King.
            >> Also, changing fashions in the colonial era, England, New England, Spain
            >> and Novo España.
            >> ALl fals under 1640.
            >>
            >> On Sep 15, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Lisa Satterlund wrote:
            >>

            >> > 1. Who wants to do what? (Richard - programming)
            >> > 2. Program volunteers
            >> > 1340s (is that right, Jonalyhn?)
            >> > 1540s (Kier?)
            >> > 1940s (Audrey)
            >> > 2040s (Torrey).
            >> > I've forgotten what decade the gentleman with the Japanese costumes
            >> > wanted to do; I think it was the 1640s. I need his name, too, since I
            >> > can't find my notes.
            >> >
            >> > See, I promised it would be short.
            >> >
            >> > Lisa

          • Richard Stephens
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
              I will help to get as strong a programming track as we can offer. The
              sooner I get info I can start gridding and recruiting folks. Who
              knows, I may have to show up at a BRCG monthly meeting - now wouldn't
              that be awful!!!!

              Richard

            • Torrey Stenmark
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
                I'd like to amend my offer from the 2040's to the 2140's. It'll be about cyberpunk.
                That being said, I can't commit to Beyondcon unless I can get a guaranteed ride out there. I probably won't be able to leave Seattle until 5 on Friday; I'd know better in December. Can anyone help? I'll pay gas money.

                Thanks ever so much,
                Torrey

              • Kier Salmon
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
                  I don't know what my schedule will be, but let us negotiate. It will help if several people express willing and then we arm wrestle in January for the honor of bringing Torey with us.