[LinBPQ] DIRMES.SYS and Mail files ..

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013

      John, I asked about the Mail directory files not being deleted, so I had a look at the DIRMES.SYS file and noticed that unfortunately there is no reference to the message number of the BBS .. This makes it difficult to find the relevant file unless it was created on the BBS in question ..

      Is there any plans to have message number referenced in the DIRMES.SYS file and possibly the deletion of the killed Mail/files ?? .. I was hoping to write a script to scan the DIRMES.SYS file to delete the Mail/files but I’m a bit stymied now *Sigh …

      Or will the Sysop have to diligently delete the ‘killed’ Mail/files ??

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
        The failure to delete message files as part of housekeeping is a bug that will be fixed in the next version.

        I'm looking for a safe way to tidy up old files - probably as an option during LinBPQ startup.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013

          Thanks John, would the ‘LinBPQ startup’ be when the PC starts up or LinBPQ starts up, or when housekeeping has finished ?? .. If after housekeeping, all the killed files would have been set in DIRMES.SYS wouldn’t it ? .. If so, wouldn’t it be no problem (will be safe) deleting the relevant Mail/files ?? .. The BBS doesn’t know the killed files are there so won’t try and read them ??

          As a matter of interest, in the DIRMES.SYS file, do you use fixed field lengths ??

          73, Dick ZS6RO

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
            Dick,

            The reason the code doesnt delete any mail files without a DIRMES entry is to protect against a damaged DIRMES.SYS. So long as the nessage files are still there you can restore one of the backups of DIRMES and get the messages back.

            I'll probably add a command line option on startup to check for redundant files and delete them.

            DIRMES.SYS has fixed length records.

            Thanks John, would the ‘LinBPQ startup’ be when the PC starts up or LinBPQ starts up, or when housekeeping has finished ?? .. If after housekeeping, all the killed files would have been set in DIRMES.SYS wouldn’t it ? .. If so, wouldn’t it be no problem (will be safe) deleting the relevant Mail/files ?? .. The BBS doesn’t know the killed files are there so won’t try and read them ??

            As a matter of interest, in the DIRMES.SYS file, do you use fixed field lengths ??

            73, Dick ZS6RO

            < p class="MsoNormal">

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013

              That’s a good point – hadn’t thought of that – in other words, delete Mail/files as far as up to say the latest DIRMES.BAK or even DIRMES.BAK.1 possibly … When you have done the fix, please let us know how far back you will delete – reason is that I wrote a Perl script to delete any *.BAK.? file (called every six hours) – in effect this kept just the .BAK files and the directory looks ‘tidy’ – to me anyway *Grin … Once I know, I’ll know how far I can auto delete BAK? Files … In the config on the web manager, one can apparently select to delete backup logs over so many days – I don’t think that works, hence why I wrote my script …

              Regarding the storing of message files – what happens with your present rationale in keeping the files, when you have a default top limit of 60 000 … That’s a hell of a lot of files to store in one directory – not sure if Linux can handle that many files in a directory … And what happens when the limit is reached – would it automatically write over the original files, starting at number 1 – it starts to get messy and difficult to manually manage I think and imagine a corrupted DIRMES.SYS file …

              As it stands, LinBPQ has it quirks and lacks a few nice to have functions, but overall, a very nice bit of software and its quite mean and lean …

              73, Dick ZS6RO