Kenwood D700 info

  • Daryll Webb
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
      Hello to all
      We are running a Kenwood D700 at our ema used as bpq node.
      It is a duel band, can bpq32 control witch band the radio uses?
      Say A band = 145.050     and set B band = 145.530.
      If any one has done this.
      Buster kg9nd

    • N9ACQ
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013

        Buster

                        The one problem I see is the need to take the D700 out of TNC mode to change frequency and then turn on TNC mode, if using D700 internal TNC. better to use one frequency for voice and the other with an external TNC. Specifically if your D700 has the one buffer limit.  I suppose the real question is why does you b]need the radio to be controlled from BPQ?

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

      • Daryll Webb
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
          Jest thinking out side the box.
          One side is packet via kcp 2  in kiss. The other is voice local Races/sky-warn rep.
          By controlling radio band via bpq32 would remove the need for one more radio and ant. We could always switch off the tnc for a short while and use voice when needed. It will take a run of feed line 300' to install one more radio and ant for to use on 145.530 to work the northern part of the state.
          If the remote control could work would save a lot of work and feed line, not sure if there is room in the conduit to put any more feed line or not.
          I don't know if our D700 has the one buffer limit or not.
          BTW
          We have had a lot of trouble with the built in D700 tnc, it keeps coming out of kiss, this is why I put the external tnc in kiss to make the sys more reliable.
          Thanks for your info   did not know about the buffer thing, will look into it.
          Buster kg9nd

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013

            Buster

                            As long as you use an external TNC the buffer problem is not relevant. Not sure if the D700 will allow one side to use the6 pin din and the other side the mic. A V7 or V71 would be a better choice, due to the limitation of the built in TNC of the D700.  The D710 corrected the buffer problem. If memory serves me right the other D700 problem as the TC 0/TC 1 command being recognized while in TNC mode and compressed data being sent. The TS-2000 and D710 also have the same problem.

            73 Bill

            N9ACQ

          • Daryll Webb
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
              I will go into the manual one more time and see if I have missed something.
              Bill   thank you      you have givin me some other things to read about and think it through. The bottem line is.
              All I need is a command via the rs232 jack to move from A band to B band and back to A band, it will get the data info/ptt  from the mic jack via ext. tnc in kiss. Got some reading to do hi hi
              Buster kg9nd