RE: [BPQ32] RE: [LinBPQ] LINBPQ SYSOP and SP titles ?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

      They are ALL WinPack users … I think you misunderstand my request John … When I said remove the ‘title contents’, let the whole SP header come through as usual so that their header lists are complete - just the ‘title contents’ are removed or replaced with say ‘hidden’, ‘blank’, ‘    ’, or something .. Only done on ‘SP’ messages of course ..

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I don't think so. The beacons are sent so progarms like Winpack can build message lists. All messages can be seen as they are transmitted over RF, so I don't see the problem with the title being retransmitted. If you don't have any Winpack users relying on the beacons then turn them off.

      73, John

      Thanks John …

      Next, repeat question – On unproto beacons, can the SP message title content be removed .. SB titles are fine as they are public .. The message title content mustn’t be removed, only the unproto beacon transmission of the title contents must be blocked.

      I have radio users who scrutinize these uproto beacons then question me on why was this personal message sent with such and such title … I ask them “can read the message” – they obviously say “no” and I say, “w ell, that message isn’t for you – forget about it!’ .. Problem is the title content has piqued their interest *Sigh …

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Will be in the next version.

      73, John

      John, I asked this before – If a user send a personal message to the BBS callsign, can it be sent to the Sysop callsign instead ?? .. (Either like Sysop messages and a ‘tick-box’, or just hard-coded ..

      One assumes that any personal message sent to the BBS actual callsign is meant for that BBS Sysop !

      73, Dick ZS6RO

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

        Another thing, in my ‘radio service domain’ all my BBS messages/bulletins are sent over radio in compressed mode, so cannot be read while they are being downloaded by radio users ..

        Also, I am only talking about personal messages (SP) which cannot be retrieved and read  by anyone other than the author or recipient …

        73, Dick ZS6RO ..

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
          It could of course be done, but I really don't see the point.

          Any comments from other sysops?

          73, John

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
            Even with FBB compressed forwarding the title should be sent in plain text.

            John

            Another thing, in my ‘radio service domain’ all my BBS messages/bulletins are sent over radio in compressed mode, so cannot be read while they are being downloaded by radio users ..

            Also, I am only talking about personal messages (SP) which cannot be retrieved and read  by anyone other than the author or recipient …

            73, Dick ZS6RO ..

            ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            They are ALL WinPack users … I think you misunderstand my request John … When I said remove the ‘title contents’, let the whole SP header come through as usual so that their header lists are complete - just the ‘title contents’ are removed or replaced with say ‘hidden’, ‘blank’, ‘    ’, or something .. Only done on ‘SP’ messages of course ..

            73, Dick ZS6RO

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            < p class="MsoNormal">

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

              Yes, agreed, hence the reason why ‘blocking’ the title contents on SP message headers is asked for … The message body is compressed and not seen by the casual user watching his screen on the radio channel – but the tile has caused some of my radio users to make comments as mentioned on earlier emails on this thread ..

              73, Dick ZS6RO

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                Just did a re-read of what you said below John – Oops, missed the meaning of it the first time around … If its at last blocked on the unproto header beacons, that would help a lot as the users often go through the headers to tag the ones of interest in Winpack and read all the titles …

                If I’m correct, FBB does what I’m asking already from way back when …

                73, Dick ZS6RO.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

              • K.O. Higgs
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Yes... short, but honest. Leave it like it is....
                  K.O. n0kfq

                  --

                  K.O. Higgs
                  n0kfq@...

                • Jerry
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                    Never heard that ever being an issue in the last 30+ Years…. Interesting..  Who would care if it was not their Pmail..  Are they asking in an attempt to police packet.. We have plenty Packet Police already..

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                      I see no reason to block the title of a PMAIL.. In fact it makes no sense why your users would be making comments or airing any concerns.. About something that should not concern them in any way..

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                        Another thought… Why would users be sitting on a forwarding frequency watching a bunch of compressed characters flow by…  or if its is because you have no choice but to forward over a User Frequency… Have then turn monitor off and they will not see any of that going on and just connect to the BBS to send and read their messages…

                        I would never want to as a user watch every single packet transmission on my screen unless I was trying to troubleshoot a problem..   A lot cleaner… lot more relaxing and apparently a lot less concerning if they do not just sit and watch compressed forwarding going on..

                        73 Jerry

                        Ok.. Done with my 2 cents.. J

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                          I don’t have ‘packet police’ (and have in my +30 years been queried by ‘packet police’), and no it wasn’t because some user wanted to police the personal messages – just the option of blocking the title so I don’t get asked these silly questions .. The questions arise from curiosity, nothing else … (I also stated that FBB has done this for many years – no one ever complained!) ..

                          Looks like most Sysops don’t feel it a necessary option, so I say – OK, let’s drop it and get onto other issues ..

                          73, Dick ZS6RO

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          Never heard that ever being an issue in the last 30+ Years…. Interesting..  Who would care if it was not their Pmail..  Are they asking in an attempt to police packet.. We have plenty Packet Police already..

                          Jerry

                        • Richard

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                              Sorry was not trying to offend.. Just trying to comprehend why these would generate any, let alone silly questions..

                              My Bad..

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                                Sounds like something Winpack needs to deal with. ??  Anyway .. Sorry again was not trying to offend.. Just could not comprehend why anyone would concern themselves with such an inconsequential item.

                                73 jk

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                                  No offence taken Jerry – sorry if I sounded so officious in my reply - *Smile ….  This is ‘Africa’, enough said !!! .. (I wasn’t born in Africa) ..

                                  I’m off to download version ‘98’ …

                                  73, Dick ZS6RO

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                  I don’t have ‘packet police’ (and have in my +30 years been queried by ‘packet police’), and no it wasn’t because some user wanted to police the personal messages – just the option of blocking the title so I don’t get asked these silly questions .. The questions arise from curiosity, nothing else … (I also stated that FBB has done this for many years – no one ever complained!) ..

                                  Looks like most Sysops don’t feel it a necessary option, so I say – OK, let’s drop it and get onto other issues ..

                                  73, Dick ZS6RO

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                  Never heard that ever being an issue in the last 30+ Years…. Interesting..  Who would care if it was not their Pmail..  Are they asking in an attempt to police packet.. We have plenty Packet Police already..

                                  Jerry

                                • PE1RDW
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:22:56 +0100, K.O. Higgs <n0kfq@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Yes... short, but honest. Leave it like it is....
                                    > K.O. n0kfq
                                    > On 3/9/2013 8:36 AM, John Wiseman wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> It could of course be done, but I really don't see the point.
                                    >> Any comments from other sysops?
                                    >> 73, John

                                    I don't see the point either, thinking that a message send over the air is
                                    either private or secure is an illusion. even when send compressed they
                                    are easy to intercept and reconstruct.

                                    --
                                    73 Andre PE1RDW
                                  • Richard
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                                      To put it in another way Jerry – ALL my radio users are pensioners (so am I) so time is irrelevant *Grin …. The author of WinPack is no longer with us …

                                      73, Dick ZS6RO

                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013
                                        The rationale behind the request was that if the title contents were blocked
                                        from public view, no questions about the message would be asked (Out of
                                        sight, out of mind) ... FBB thought it was a good idea (I keep plugging this
                                        *Sigh) ..

                                        I've always told my radio users that nothing sent over radio is 'private',
                                        so totally agree with your comment Andre ...

                                        As I said earlier, lets drop it - no need to mince this into fine pieces ...
                                        I'll take the silly questions from my users (they are 'my' users *Smile) ...
                                        Thanks for all the comments regardless ....

                                        73, Dick ZS6RO

                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                                          Hi Yea I thought of that after I wrote that.. I knew that I used to play around with WInpack..

                                          We are lucky in this time to have a Packet Programmer who is actively supporting his system.. There are a few, but just a few…

                                          I saw no harm in asking or even discussing your request.. please do not stop on my account…

                                          73 Jerry

                                          I am hoping to be someday a pensioner myself.. Still have about 14 Years to go.. barring any winning lottery tickets… lol

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 9, 2013

                                            The WinPack author died some years back .. Other software authors have just gone on to other things and left the ‘latest’ software for others to pick up …

                                            It would appear that my request regarding the title content blocking hasn’t caught anyone’s interest therefore I hereby withdraw same (might as well sound like a lawyer *Grin) ..

                                            I’m running LinBPQ version ’98 and I ticked the box where any message sent to the BBS callsign is changed and sent to the Sysop’s call – works well – thanks John ..

                                            73, Dick ZS6RO