LINBPQ SYSOP Mailbox ?

  • zl1lw
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hi group,

      How do I get a sysop mailbox in LINBPQ? I want the user connected to the node to be able to leave me a message when he / she types SYSOP.
      Is this possible? Any tutorials on how to do this in LINBPQ?

      Thanks

      Hannes
      ZL1LW
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
        A user can send a message to SYSOP (SP SYSOP)

        They will appear in your LM listng.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013

          John, I asked this before – If a user send a personal message to the BBS callsign, can it be sent to the Sysop callsign instead ?? .. (Either like Sysop messages and a ‘tick-box’, or just hard-coded ..

          One assumes that any personal message sent to the BBS actual callsign is meant for that BBS Sysop !

          73, Dick ZS6RO

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
            Will be in the next version.

            73, John

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

            A user can send a message to SYSOP (SP SYSOP)

            They will appear in your LM listng.

            73, John

            How do I get a sysop mailbox in LINBPQ? I want the user connected to the node to be able to leave me a message when he / she types SYSOP.
            Is this possible? Any tutorials on how to do this in LINBPQ?

            Thanks

            Hannes
            ZL1LW

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013

              Will this also be added to the Windows Versionb?

              Will it be an option or a cold hard setting??

              I really see no problem either way.. But also have not fully thought it out…

              Just curious. 73 jerry

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                It will be in both and will be an option.

                John

                John, I asked this before – If a user send a personal message to the BBS callsign, can it be sent to the Sysop callsign instead ?? .. (Either like Sysop messages and a ‘tick-box’, or just hard-coded ..

                One assumes that any personal message sent to the BBS actual callsign is meant for that BBS Sysop !

                73, Dick ZS6RO< o>

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013

                  Thanks!!  73

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Hi Guys, I am a bit lost here. I am not currently using the linmail option or have a bbs configured. I only have a LINBPQ node. Can users still type SYSOP and leave me a message on the node only or do I have to use the linmail option?

                    Hannes
                    ZL1LW

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Hannes,

                      The node doesn't have anywhere to store messages.

                      The Wndows version has a mechanism for a user ot connect to one of your console windows, but LinBPQ doesnt have a terminal console.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Hi John,
                        Thanks for the reply.

                        If I may, On my LINBPQ node wish list would be a function where the user can leave a message for the node sysop by typing "SYSOP" or something. This "message" would then be forwarded as an email to the sysops' defined email address. Therefore one should not require a message handling mailbox. (Just a thought)

                        Thanks heaps for all the work you do, it is much appreciated!

                        Regards

                        Hannes
                        ZL1LW

                      Message 11 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Hello, John -

                        In my  very hazy memory, it seems that the "XJ" nodes had a connection script mechanism for things like sysop mailbox, DXCluster nodes, and such. You could provide a "menu name" and an associated script that would then make a connection to the specified netrom network location. In the case of sysop messages, the connection could be directed to the sysop's TNC personal mailbox (provided it was a different TNC than the node TNC, I guess).

                        Seems like a useful feature.

                        Jim Wagner, KA7EHK

                        Message 12 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                          On 10/03/13 12:25, CJ Hanekom wrote:

                          Hi John,
                          Thanks for the reply.

                          If I may, On my LINBPQ node wish list would be a function where the user can leave a message for the node sysop by typing "SYSOP" or something. This "message" would then be forwarded as an email to the sysops' defined email address. Therefore one should not require a message handling mailbox. (Just a thought)

                          Thanks heaps for all the work you do, it is much appreciated!

                          Regards

                          Hannes
                          ZL1LW

                          Hi Hannes,

                                          This would defeat the purpose of the BBS included in BPQ32.

                          Why not set up the BBS as a Personal Mailbox and use it`s email features to do what you want ?

                          Regards ..... Peter

                        • PE1RDW
                          Message 13 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                            On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:55:57 +0100, James Wagner <ka7ehk@...> wrote:

                            > Hello, John -
                            >
                            > In my very hazy memory, it seems that the "XJ" nodes had a connection
                            > script mechanism for things like sysop mailbox, DXCluster nodes, and
                            > such. You could provide a "menu name" and an associated script that
                            > would then make a connection to the specified netrom network location.
                            > In the case of sysop messages, the connection could be directed to the
                            > sysop's TNC personal mailbox (provided it was a different TNC than the
                            > node TNC, I guess).
                            >
                            > Seems like a useful feature.
                            >
                            > Jim Wagner, KA7EHK

                            It's there already, called applications it can either be a real
                            application like a bbs or a connection like to a dx cluster in the network.

                            --
                            73 Andre PE1RDW
                          • James Wagner
                            Message 14 of 15 , Mar 9, 2013
                              Will it connect to a remote TNC mailbox? Seems like it ought to if it will connect to a remote server via the RF network.

                              With LINBPQ running on things like RaspberryPi, I suspect that we will see these things on remote hilltops again, like DataEngines of years past. Then, it would really be handy to connect to a remote service of any kind (mailbox, dx cluster, or bbs).

                              Jim, KA7EHK

                              Message 15 of 15 , Mar 10, 2013
                                Hannes,

                                As has been suggested by others, the BBS feature will do this. To provided it as a separate function would mean duplicating the code that accepts messages,stores them, runs a connect script to the sysop's real bbs, then forwards the message.

                                However, I can see that a simple way to configure the BBS to provide just this function would be helpful - I'll give it some thought.

                                73, john