Re: [BPQ32] LinBPQ setup help needed

  • CJ Hanekom
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2013
      Hi John,

      Thanks for the reply. I was still unable to install the libcap2 package required using the "sudo apt-get install libcap2" command. Here is an extract of my terminal window: (I am running Ubuntu 10.04)

      media@media:~$ sudo apt-get install libcap2
      [sudo] password for media:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      libcap2 is already the newest version.

      media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq
      sudo: setcap: command not found

      media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo setcap CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep linbpq
      sudo: setcap: command not found

      media@media:~/linbpq$ setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq
      The program 'setcap' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
      sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin
      You will have to enable the component called 'universe'
      media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      E: Couldn't find package libcap2-bin

      I then manually downloaded the required package here and installed it using the package manager:
      http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/libcap2-bin/download

      This solved my problem. I was then able to successfully run the required command. ie. sudo setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq

      Hope this might be of assistance to someone else :)

      Regards

      Hannes
      ZL1LW

      On 07/03/13 22:49, John Wiseman wrote:
      sudo apt-get install libcap2

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2013
        I don't know if this is documented or not but I stumbled across
        something interesting.

        Background: I'm sysop of a regional message center for AF MARS Transcon
        Pactor Network using BPQMailChat. I use AXIP to send and receive
        messages for me using another BPQMailChat setup on my laptop (Win8Pro)
        using my own MARS call.

        I have found that the router assigns different local IP addresses to the
        wired and wireless ports on the laptop. This needs to be taken into
        account when configuring the AXIP port of the "tower" BPQnode.

        This information might also be useful when configuring port routing in
        the router firewall for BPQ internet connections.

        Just something to keep in mind.
        73
        Dave
        AFA2HV/WB2HVF