new dual-port TNC about to come to market

  • N9NWO
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
      This is from the Argent Data Tracker2 group. I had asked him about what he was developing for Dayton.

      The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm
      hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
      take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as a stand-alone IGate, it'll be configurable through a web browser, and I'm planning about a hundred other functions that I don't want to hype too much until I've actually got them working. =] It'll also have the ADS-SR1s repeater functions, and later I'm planning to adapt it for duplex and cross-band operation.

      Speaking of which, if anyone has a repeater with duplexer cavities they'd like to see cheap or trade for our stuff, let me know! If I'm going to make this thing a repeater controller too, I should probably have a repeater here for a test installation.

      I do have one non-APRS product I'm hoping to have in production in time for Dayton, but we'll see. There's still debugging to be done.

      Scott, N1VG
      ---------------------------

      Thought that this TNC might make a great BPQ32 interface as well as an IGate digipeter for APRS. Scott has been developing TNCs for APRS primarily. http://www.argentdata.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
        Interesting...

        But you could do a dual port IGate now with a Raspberry PI and two TNC-PI boards.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
          John,

          Thank you for the heads-up on the TNC-PI, just ordered one.

          I have pilinbpq running on my PI. I had a bit of a learning curve but once everything was in place and configured it is running well. I really like the Web Interface and am also using it on my Windows systems all of which are supporting packet and HSMM-MESH services.

          I am trying to get the startup script running per your instructions but it does not seem to start. I have to manually start it after the PI is running.

          There are a couple of other small things I have noted but I will share those once I have a little more experience with the system as it currently is. I am planning to use the PI with BPQ as a MailChat server with an HSMM-MESH "grab-n-go" event/incident server configured in a "kitty-litter" bucket. Once I have the startup issue resolved, I will mount the PI in the bucket and will be using the bucket for upcoming emergency tests.

          Thanks again for all you do and a great set of BPQ tools.

          73, Dave
          WA7RYV

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013

            "HSMM-MESH"

            "grab-n-go"

            "kitty litter"

            Looks like it's time to go back to school! At least I did go to a presentation recently to learn about MESH. There is sure a lot going on to keep a person busy learning about all of the new technologies!

            I just got the new CQ magazine in the mail yesterday and read an article about the Raspberry Pi. It looks like hams are embracing the thing, and new ham radio apps and hardware are becoming available.

            Next step is to MESH the PI with the rig!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
              Hi Dave,

              Sorry, a couple of errors crept into the instructions

              runbpq should include the line
              cd /home/pi/linbpq
              and must be set as executable (chmod a+x)
              I've updated the instructions.
              73, John

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
                I'm waiting to see who is first to come out with a unit that includes
                the embedded UHF data module... Faster. Cheaper. Smaller. That
                includes the radio... When we get 1 Watt of UHF data at 56K or
                better in the size of a mouse - that'll open up the medium range
                (better than WiFi) communications.

                Bill - WA7NWP

                On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                > But you could do a dual port IGate now with a Raspberry PI and two TNC-PI
                > boards.
                > 73, John
                >

                > The big one definitely won't be in product in time for Dayton, but I'm
                > hoping to have a demo with the basic functionality working so we can
                > take pre-orders. It's a dual-channel TNC with Ethernet and will work as a
                > stand-alone IGate,
              • David Bird
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
                  John,

                  I made the changes as shown in the updated instructions and set the script as executable. I also downloaded the current build 6.0.0.95 The pilinbpq now runs on startup as verified in the Desktop Task Manager.

                  However, I cannot get the Web page to open on the local Desktop nor from an external browser and it does not respond to external telnet connections. It appears to start the connection but then just stalls. I tried shutting down and restarting a couple of times to see if it made any difference, it did not.

                  I then manually Stopped and Killed pilinbpq via the Task Manager, had to Stop it to prevent the respawn, and then started pilinbpq manually via LXTerminal. The pilinbpq starts normally including Mail and Chat. There is a message at the end of the startup display as follows:
                  bind (119) Failed Error 13; Permission denied

                  But it does not appear to cause any problems. I close LXTerminal and then I can then connect to the Web page via local and external browsers and via MESH telnet. So pilinbpq appears to run fine when started manually but does not respond when run at startup.

                  Thank you for your prompt replies.

                  73, Dave
                  WA7RYV