LinBPQ setup help needed

  • zl1lw
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6 6:13 PM
      Hi guys,

      I stumbled accross the Linbpq project and thought I would see if I can move my existing node from my windows xp PC running BPQ32 to linbpq on an ubuntu 10.04 computer.

      I have a kantronics KPC-3 connected to a radio currently on comm port 2 on my windows BPQ installation and connect to ZL4AX (Pukkie) via AXIP. I also have telnet access for ZL4AX.

      I followed the setup guide documented here:
      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/InstallingLINBPQ.htm

      The windows BPQ32.cfg file was renamed into lower caps and copied to the linbpq folder I created.

      This step in the setup guide does not work:
      sudo setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq

      I got this error:
      sudo: setcap: command not found

      On starting the linbpq I get the following:
      G8BPQ AX25 Packet Switch System Version 6.0.0.95 February 2013
      Copyright � 2001-2013 John Wiseman G8BPQ
      Current Directory is /home/media/linbpq

      Configuration file Preprocessor.
      Using Configuration file /home/media/linbpq/bpq32.cfg
      Conversion (probably) successful

      PORTS 811ea20 LINKS 811fa0f DESTS 8122718 ROUTES 8128918 L4 8129e58 BUFFERS 812f498
      Remove SYMLINK -1
      Create SYMLINK to c:\/log_130307_DEBUG.txt -1
      Route/Node recovery file BPQNODES.dat not found - Continuing without it
      Initialising Port 01 AXIP
      Com Open Failed: No such file or directory
      Initialising Port 02 ASYNC COM2 Chan A /home/media/linbpq/com2 could not be opened
      Bind Failed for UDP socket - error code = 13
      Initialising Port 03 Telnet Server bind(sock) failed port 3988 Error 98

      Regards

      Hannes
      ZL1LW
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7 1:49 AM

        Hannes,

        Sounds like you need to install setcap:

        sudo apt-get install libcap2

        You haven't created a symlink from your comm port (maybe /dev/ttyS2, but check) to com2. Details are in the setup docs.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7 3:37 AM

          Should be ‘ttyS0 = Com-1’,  ‘ttyS1=Com-2’, ‘ttyS2=Com3’, etc..

          73, Dick ZS6RO

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        • CJ Hanekom
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7 4:20 PM
            Hi John,

            Thanks for the reply. I was still unable to install the libcap2 package required using the "sudo apt-get install libcap2" command. Here is an extract of my terminal window: (I am running Ubuntu 10.04)

            media@media:~$ sudo apt-get install libcap2
            [sudo] password for media:
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            libcap2 is already the newest version.

            media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq
            sudo: setcap: command not found

            media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo setcap CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep linbpq
            sudo: setcap: command not found

            media@media:~/linbpq$ setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq
            The program 'setcap' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
            sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin
            You will have to enable the component called 'universe'
            media@media:~/linbpq$ sudo apt-get install libcap2-bin
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            E: Couldn't find package libcap2-bin

            I then manually downloaded the required package here and installed it using the package manager:
            http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/libcap2-bin/download

            This solved my problem. I was then able to successfully run the required command. ie. sudo setcap "CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq

            Hope this might be of assistance to someone else :)

            Regards

            Hannes
            ZL1LW

            On 07/03/13 22:49, John Wiseman wrote:
            sudo apt-get install libcap2

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7 7:28 PM
              I don't know if this is documented or not but I stumbled across
              something interesting.

              Background: I'm sysop of a regional message center for AF MARS Transcon
              Pactor Network using BPQMailChat. I use AXIP to send and receive
              messages for me using another BPQMailChat setup on my laptop (Win8Pro)
              using my own MARS call.

              I have found that the router assigns different local IP addresses to the
              wired and wireless ports on the laptop. This needs to be taken into
              account when configuring the AXIP port of the "tower" BPQnode.

              This information might also be useful when configuring port routing in
              the router firewall for BPQ internet connections.

              Just something to keep in mind.
              73
              Dave
              AFA2HV/WB2HVF