Receive bulletins via BPQ32 email server/ POP3 client?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
      Good morning all:

      I have been playing with BPQ32's built-in email server and have found that Thunderbird does not receive bulletins at all when configured per the BPQ email client config instructions. I do receive them just fine using Outpost PMM though.

      I have stepped through the online help pages, and delivering only personal mail appears to be by design. I tried a couple of searches here and nothing pertinent came up. Is there any way to work around this, or is there a reason that such a feature is not a good idea?

      I have run a 2-port node/BBS for a little over a year, but I would certainly consider myself a novice in all things BPQ32. I have only been trying POP3 access to it for about a week.

      Software is:
      BPQ32 Version 1.4.53.1
      Thunderbird 17.0.3
      Outpost PMM 2.7.0 c21
      All running on the same dual-core Pentium running Vista 32.

      This is my first post to the group. Thank you all very much for all the help you have provided me previously on other topics and I look forward to any insight you may have.

      73

      Mike
      --
      KB1DBL
      Warren, Maine FN54jc
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
        Mike,

        Only P mails are send via POP3. Bulletins can be send or received via NNTP. Add a Newsgroup account to Thunderbird, and set it to connect to your BPQMail.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013
          Oh my, that is elegant.

          I actually set up NNTP access before POP3, but never got any messages or errors so I just moved on. This is my first time actually using Thunderbird, although I have used NNTP since the 80s.

          1. Turns out once you have BPQ32 added as a news server you have to right-click on the server in the sidebar and choose Subscribe... This is the step I had missed.

          2. The bulletins will appear under the current group list in a hierarchy by AT address, shown as NAME.GROUP instead of name@group.

          3. Click the down arrows to expand the tree and check the check box next to the bulletin addresses you want to receive in the news feed.

          4. When you close the Subscribe box you will see a tree under the server in the sidebar that lists the bulletins you have subscribed to.

          5. Expand the tree and click the subgroups to view the messages.

          Very nice!

          Thank you very much for the reply and all the help.

          73

          Mike

          > Mike,
          >
          > Only P mails are send via POP3. Bulletins can be send or received via NNTP.
          > Add a Newsgroup account to Thunderbird, and set it to connect to your
          > BPQMail.
          >
          > 73, John
          >
          > _____

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2013

            Mike.. Log into my Xrouter PC and open my email outlook express… NNTP is setup in there.. Under Packet Bulletins…  J

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013

              VNC… TV Does not work with Win Server unless you pay out the ***

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
                Mike

                Retrieving bulletins via Tbird works fine as outline by John.

                I use it here. However there is bug in Tbird such that if the number of bulletins is low or few new bulletins appear, then Tbird gives an error message saying that "the newsgroup does not appear on the server do you want to unsubscribe."

                Mozilla identified this bug some time ago but I have not heard of any fix for this yet.