LinBPQ

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013

      I have found for more than a week that I get email from “SYSTEM” regarding housekeeping, which is fine, but its addressed from:

      ‘SYSTEM@KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM’

      My configuration doesn’t have “KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM” in it anywhere ??? .. I found ‘KJ6IX ‘ in my WP and deleted the entry but it still persists !!

      If there has to be an “@” address, it should read “@...” …

      Any idea how I can correct this ?? .. I’m running LinBPQ ‘.85’ …

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
        Look in WP for a record for SYSTEM and delete it

        73, John

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013

          Thanks for the prompt reply John and the obvious answer … Funny part is, I’m sure I looked for SYSTEM in WP about a week ago, but may have been mistaken or didn’t look closer enough .. ..

          Found SYSTEM in WP and deleted it … I wonder how it got in there with its parameters ???

          73, Dick ZS6RO

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
            I have been having the same problem in the Windows version. I have been periodically checking WPs and deleting the SYSTEM entry, as well as several other obviously corrupted entries that keep appearing.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
              Yes, I think I need to add more validation to incoming WP messages.

              John

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" wrote:

              > Thanks for the prompt reply John and the obvious answer .
              Funny part is, I'm
              > sure I looked for SYSTEM in WP about a week ago, but
              may have been mistaken
              > or didn't look closer enough .. ..
              >
              > Found SYSTEM in WP and deleted it . I wonder how it got in there with
              its
              > parameters ???
              >

              > 73, Dick
              ZS6RO

              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >

              > Look in WP for a record for SYSTEM and delete it
              >

              > 73, John
              >

              > _____

              [BPQ32] LinBPQ

              > I have found for more than a
              week that I get email from "SYSTEM" regarding
              > housekeeping, which is
              fine, but its addressed from:

              'SYSTEM@KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM'

              > My configuration doesn't have
              "KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM" in it anywhere ??? ..
              > I found 'KJ6IX ' in my WP
              and deleted the entry but it still persists !!

              > If there has to
              be an "@ address, it should read @..." .

              > Any idea how I can correct this ?? .. I'm running LinBPQ
              '.85' .

              > 73, Dick ZS6RO

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                Yes I to have seen System, RMS and BBS Alias in the WP'S, for now I have

                Entered them in the filter to hold so I can keep tract of who is sending
                them.

                I also am running windows version of BPQMailChat, it is not on your end,
                But on the senders end.

                I do not know what effect this will have on my own system messages, time
                will tell.

                Mike N9PMO
                I have been having the same problem in the Windows version. I have been
                periodically checking WPs and deleting the SYSTEM entry, as well as
                several other obviously corrupted entries that keep appearing.

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" wrote:

                > Thanks for the prompt reply John and the obvious answer . Funny part
                is, I'm
                > sure I looked for SYSTEM in WP about a week ago, but may have been
                mistaken
                > or didn't look closer enough .. ..
                >
                > Found SYSTEM in WP and deleted it . I wonder how it got in there with
                its
                > parameters ???
                >

                > 73, Dick ZS6RO
                >

                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >

                > Look in WP for a record for SYSTEM and delete it
                >

                > 73, John
                >

                > _____

              • Richard
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013

                  If ‘SYSTEM’ is part of *that* WinBPQ or LinBPQ Node/BBS, shouldn’t it be treated as ‘internal’ - by that I mean, that ‘SYSTEM’ should only relate to the BPQ Node/BBS its on – in my opinion it shouldn’t appear in the WP pages … And if it has to be  ‘SYSTEM@...’, shouldn’t the ‘xxx.yyy.zzz’ be picked up from the configuration parameters and thus set in concrete ??

                  73, Dick ZS6RO (ZS0MEE)

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Yes, I think I need to add more validation to incoming WP messages.

                  John

                  I have been having the same problem in the Windows version. I have been periodically checking WPs and deleting the SYSTEM entry, as well as several other obviously corrupted entries that keep appearing.

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" wrote:

                  > Thanks for the prompt reply John and the obvious answer . Funny part is, I'm
                  > sure I looked for SYSTEM in WP about a week ago, but may have been mistaken
                  > or didn't look closer enough .. ..
                  >
                  > Found SYSTEM in WP and deleted it . I wonder how it got in there with its
                  > parameters ???
                  >

                  > 73, Dick ZS6RO
                  >
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  >
                  > Look in WP for a record for SYSTEM and delete it
                  >
                  > 73, John
                  > _____
                  >
                  > I have found for more than a week that I get email from "SYSTEM" regarding
                  > housekeeping, which is fine, but its addressed from:
                  >
                  > 'SYSTEM@KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM'
                  >
                  > My configuration doesn't have "KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM" in it anywhere ??? ..
                  > I found 'KJ6IX ' in my WP and deleted the entry but it still persists !!
                  >
                  > If there has to be an "@ address, it should read @..." .
                  >
                  > Any idea how I can correct this ?? .. I'm running LinBPQ '.85' .
                  >
                  > 73, Dick ZS6RO

                • K.O. Higgs
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                    "SYSTEM" in the WP file could be caused by some sysop trying to get "system" messages forwarded to another bbs.

                    K.O. n0kfq

                    --

                    K.O. Higgs
                    n0kfq@...

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Dick

                      This is just a guess, in the MailServer configuration, main
                      configuration
                      The option Send SYSTEM Msgs to Sysop call may not be checked, then if
                      that
                      Sysop has a different HR then his own, it may end up at the HR BBS, I
                      have
                      Seen personal messages in my BPQ-BBS TO System@Call&HR (Not My Call&HR)

                      As for the RMS ending up in the WP'S I have no clue, The Alias call I
                      Found in my WP and again this is just a guess, the Sysop has the BBS
                      Call
                      Correct but may have entered his Alias in the SYSOP Call or the other
                      way
                      Around, BBS Call may be his Alias?

                      I hate to try experimenting here to duplicate the problem.

                      73

                      Mike N9PMO
                      If ‘SYSTEM’ is part of *that* WinBPQ or LinBPQ Node/BBS, shouldn’t it be
                      treated as ‘internal’ - by that I mean, that ‘SYSTEM’ should only relate
                      to the BPQ Node/BBS its on – in my opinion it shouldn’t appear in the WP
                      pages … And if it has to be  ‘SYSTEM@...’, shouldn’t the
                      ‘xxx.yyy.zzz’ be picked up from the configuration parameters and thus
                      set in concrete ??

                      73, Dick ZS6RO (ZS0MEE)

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      Yes, I think I need to add more validation to incoming WP messages.

                      John

                      I have been having the same problem in the Windows version. I have been
                      periodically checking WPs and deleting the SYSTEM entry, as well as
                      several other obviously corrupted entries that keep appearing.

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" wrote:

                      > Thanks for the prompt reply John and the obvious answer . Funny part
                      is, I'm
                      > sure I looked for SYSTEM in WP about a week ago, but may have been
                      mistaken
                      > or didn't look closer enough .. ..
                      >
                      > Found SYSTEM in WP and deleted it . I wonder how it got in there with
                      its
                      > parameters ???
                      >

                      > 73, Dick ZS6RO
                      >
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      >
                      > Look in WP for a record for SYSTEM and delete it
                      >
                      > 73, John
                      > _____
                      >
                      > I have found for more than a week that I get email from "SYSTEM"
                      regarding
                      > housekeeping, which is fine, but its addressed from:
                      >
                      > 'SYSTEM@KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM'
                      >
                      > My configuration doesn't have "KJ6IX.#WNV.NV.USA.NOAM" in it anywhere
                      ??? ..
                      > I found 'KJ6IX ' in my WP and deleted the entry but it still persists
                      !!

                      > If there has to be an
                      "@ address, it should read @..." .

                      > Any idea how I can correct this ?? .. I'm running LinBPQ '.85' .
                      >
                      > 73, Dick ZS6RO
                    • Richard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 23, 2013

                        Mike, I do have the “SYSTEM Msgs to Sysop Call” ticked …

                        This morning my email showed just ‘SYSTEM’ as it used to when I first installed LinBPQ, so basically I’m ‘happy’ – *Grin ..

                        I still maintain that “SYSTEM” shouldn’t show up in the WP at all, and technically it doesn’t have HR as its an ‘internal’ function …

                        LinBPQ/WinBPQ is magic software and does a very good job of giving us what we want !!!

                        73, Dick ZS6RO

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 27, 2013

                          John, my LinBPQ BBS is ZS0MEE .. My callsign is ZS6RO.

                          I often get personal mail sent To: ZS0MEE .. What mechanism is available to automatically change To: ZS0MEE  to To: ZS6ro, so that when I want my mail it is sent to ZS6RO instead of ZS0MEE ??

                          I understand that if mail is sent To SYSOP, and by flagging the relevant user’s tick-box, Sysop messages will be sent to that user ..

                          73, Dick ZS6RO

                        • Richard
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 13, 2013

                            John, my LinBPQ keeps restarting every 20 minutes ..

                            In ‘syslog’ I get :

                            Dec 13 22:42:10 ham-radio kernel: [42854.251342] linbpq[29060]: segfault at 96a1000 ip b75fe712 sp bfd80c38 error 6 in libc-2.17.so[b74bf000+1ae000]” ..

                            Does this have a bearing on the problem ??

                            This Friday morning at 04:45 local time we had a power failure and only returned around 08:00 .. Maybe some file became corrupt ??

                            73,Dick ZS6RO/ZS1RO/ZS0MEE/M0HMB

                          • Richard
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 14, 2013

                              John, did you miss this email ???

                              John, my LinBPQ keeps restarting every 20 minutes ..

                              In ‘syslog’ I get :

                              Dec 13 22:42:10 ham-radio kernel: [42854.251342] linbpq[29060]: segfault at 96a1000 ip b75fe712 sp bfd80c38 error 6 in libc-2.17.so[b74bf000+1ae000]” ..

                              Does this have a bearing on the problem ??

                              This Friday morning at 04:45 local time we had a power failure and only returned around 08:00 .. Maybe some file became corrupt ?? … (Edit: I actually got this error message the day before, so it wasn’t the power failure causing his … When I check personal messages I find about a 120 odd housekeeping message for me!) …

                              73,Dick ZS6RO/ZS1RO/ZS0MEE/M0HMB

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 14, 2013
                                No, but not sure what to suggest....

                                Is it exactly 20 minutes (or exacty the same interval)?

                                Is there anything common in syslog just before it restarts?

                                The error is in the c runtime, so it is more difficult to track down than errors in my code.

                                It might also be worth enabling core dumps if you haven't already done so - run ulimit -c unlimited before linbpq.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 14, 2013

                                  Its virtually ‘every 20 minutes’ John … There is nothing common that I can see in ‘syslog.sys’ .. Before each error message there are different statements before the error message …  I’ll try the core dump and see what that gives …

                                  What I do find is that it’s just LinBPQ  that restarts on my server … Every time it does this, it appears as if LinBPQ ‘forgets where my last message counter as each time I do a ‘L’ I get the ALL messages listed the first time I log in ..

                                  I’ve switched off housekeeping messages as it gave a message regarding housekeeping every time LinBPQ rebooted every 20 minutes (that’s 72 messages each day) ..

                                  I had the LinBPQ POP3 account being checked every 20 minutes so changed to 30 minutes – LinBPQ still reboots every 20 minutes ..

                                  I have no idea why the 20 minute reboot takes place ….

                                  73, Dick

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 14, 2013
                                    Dick,

                                    The Last Listed count is only saved when a user disconenects cleanly (so if a connection drops during a listing you can do it again). If the program crashes while you are still connected it won't be saved.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 14, 2013

                                      John, I am aware that one has to disconnect cleanly – I should have mentioned that – that is what I do here – log off ‘cleanly’ …

                                      But somehow the ‘count’ is getting lost ??? ..

                                      73, Dick