Re: [BPQ32] WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id ask here..?

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
      Some of the "old-timers" (before FBB) believe that the correct way to send WP Updates is to use "P-Mail". That way, the "sender" can control where they are sent. In the early days (MSYS) there was no choice but to use "P-Mail".  There is still much objection to any other method.

      I did not even know how to send WP Updates as "B", even after all these years (since 1990) until N9PMO explained how it was done.. all of my WP Updates were sent as "P-Mail".

      However, after running tests on both ways, I find that both ways work in FBB and BPQ.

      So, why not let the sender send it however he wants?

      I would suggest that if the sender uses "B" then he should be careful that his "routing" does not splatter spam all over the place (in places where there is minimal use).

      K.O. n0kfq
      On 2/20/2013 10:29 AM, Jerry wrote:

      Hi K.O.

      I was under the idea that they had to get sent to the next bbs,,, Not just a specific BBS..

      If its ok.. cool.. Just seemed weird I would see both types…

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
          IF you have 80+ BBS partners in/outside of the US who is your first
          partner?

          Is it really necessary to send the WP'S out as most programs read them
          from
          The R-Line?

          So many of the WP'S are incomplete anyways, Name, QTH, ZIP, HR, this is
          just
          Laziness on many Sysop's

          And then there are the Sysops running WinFbb 7.01-35a with out the
          Updates
          Written by John G8BPQ to prevent WP Multiple Call sign corruptions,
          The updates have been on the BPQ reflector and my web site for several
          of years,
          One 7.01-35 user replied, I don't send the WP'S out so I don't need the
          update,
          Very wrong, again he fails to over look the reading of the R-Line.

          Not trying to get off tract but for those that may not know the bug in
          7.01-35
          The following is an example in the edit user added calls and IE command,

          the update solves this problem.
          N9PMO
          N9PMOa
          N9PMOB
          N9PMOD

          73

          Mike N9PMO

          --

          K.O. Higgs
          n0kfq@...

        • K.O. Higgs
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
            If WP Updates were not sent to other bbs's, then those Users who haven't sent any messages would not have an address record anywhere.