Re: [BPQ32] WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id ask here..?

  • dave morris
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
      Mine seems to kill SP's on receipt !

      73 de Dave
      gm3yew@gb7yew

      -------Original Message-------

      Date: 02/20/13 15:14:50
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id ask here..?

      If it is sent as a P it is not going to get forwarded on to the next bbs.

      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      From: "K.O. Higgs" <n0kfq@...>
      Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:09:00 -0600
      To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

      The reason some WP Updates show up as "B" and others as "P" is because some sysops set their bbs to send them as "B" and some sysops set their bbs to send them as "P"....... and some set their bbs to send them as both.

      WP Updates (according to my tests) seem to work both ways.

      So, why should it be "wrong" to use either way or both?

      73,  K.O. n0kfq

      On 2/20/2013 8:08 AM, Jerome K wrote:

      I still have issues with our present WP updates… But forget that for now..

      I would like to know if anyone knows why some show up as Personal Messages and others as Bulletins..?

      What should it be? Why? How can we fix it… I am sure one or ther other is WRONG..

      73 Jerry

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

    • PE1RDW
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
        On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:14:36 +0100, Joel Yates <yate4899@...> wrote:

        > If it is sent as a P it is not going to get forwarded on to the next bbs.
        > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        It does not have to be forwarded on, it will be merged with the recieving
        bbs WP update and that gets send on, it's slower but less overhead, if the
        price of speed is worth the reduction in overhead is debatable and has
        been debated for ages on sysop@ww

        --
        73 Andre PE1RDW
      • james

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
            If your bbs is MSYS, FBB, or BPQ then it receives, processes, and then kills the "P" type.

            K.O. n0kfq

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013

              Hi K.O.

              I was under the idea that they had to get sent to the next bbs,,, Not just a specific BBS..

              If its ok.. cool.. Just seemed weird I would see both types…

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                This isn't strictly a BPQ issue, but since it's been raised  here I will reply here with a bit of a history lesson...

                There doesn't seem to be much documentation, and sadly W0RLI has gone SK, but as far as I remember, WP updates should be type P, sent to your nearest neighbour in the direction of the "world server". I think the world server is long gone, but the idea was that it wasn't really needed. WP was intended to be a "distributed database", and rather anarchic too.

                WP queries were always type P, directed at the world server, but could be intercepted and answered by *any* BBS en-route who had the complete information.

                Run of the mill BBS's should NOT be sending WP bulletins. It is clutter, especially when those bulls contain incomplete rubbish that any BBS could glean from bulletin headers anyhow.

                The system we implemented in the uk used a handful of "regional WP servers", who aggregated the P-mail WP data from BBS's and forwarded it as P-Mail to the "national WP server". The national server aggregated the data and sent out ONE daily WP@GBR *bulletin* containing only the info that was new or changed since the last update, or needed refreshing to prevent expiry. Incomplete info was never broadcast.

                I'm not saying it was perfect, but (a) it made sure that every BBS in the UK had WP records that were as complete as possible, and (b) it avoided the madness of hundreds of  BBS's sending daily WP bulletins containing incomplete or broken data.

                Since the whole system has now gone to pot, I suppose the only answer is to send WP@WW bulls, but ONLY FOR DATA ABOUT YOUR OWN USERS. Don't send data you've gleaned (/G) from bulletin headers, because everyone else already has that data.

                However, the above is flawed while FBB still exists. FBB has always had a bug whereby it sent /U (meaning user entered data) updates "claiming" users who visited their BBS, even though the user had clearly stated that their home BBS was elsewhere. The UK's WP server recognised and filtered out those updates (plus other erroneous data), but normal BBS software takes the info as true (because it is /U). So broadcasting that info as WP@WW screws up every WP in the world.

                73, Paula G8PZT

              • K.O. Higgs
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Some of the "old-timers" (before FBB) believe that the correct way to send WP Updates is to use "P-Mail". That way, the "sender" can control where they are sent. In the early days (MSYS) there was no choice but to use "P-Mail".  There is still much objection to any other method.

                  I did not even know how to send WP Updates as "B", even after all these years (since 1990) until N9PMO explained how it was done.. all of my WP Updates were sent as "P-Mail".

                  However, after running tests on both ways, I find that both ways work in FBB and BPQ.

                  So, why not let the sender send it however he wants?

                  I would suggest that if the sender uses "B" then he should be careful that his "routing" does not splatter spam all over the place (in places where there is minimal use).

                  K.O. n0kfq

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                      IF you have 80+ BBS partners in/outside of the US who is your first
                      partner?

                      Is it really necessary to send the WP'S out as most programs read them
                      from
                      The R-Line?

                      So many of the WP'S are incomplete anyways, Name, QTH, ZIP, HR, this is
                      just
                      Laziness on many Sysop's

                      And then there are the Sysops running WinFbb 7.01-35a with out the
                      Updates
                      Written by John G8BPQ to prevent WP Multiple Call sign corruptions,
                      The updates have been on the BPQ reflector and my web site for several
                      of years,
                      One 7.01-35 user replied, I don't send the WP'S out so I don't need the
                      update,
                      Very wrong, again he fails to over look the reading of the R-Line.

                      Not trying to get off tract but for those that may not know the bug in
                      7.01-35
                      The following is an example in the edit user added calls and IE command,

                      the update solves this problem.
                      N9PMO
                      N9PMOa
                      N9PMOB
                      N9PMOD

                      73

                      Mike N9PMO

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                        If WP Updates were not sent to other bbs's, then those Users who haven't sent any messages would not have an address record anywhere.