WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id ask here..?

  • Jerome K
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
      I still have issues with our present WP updates… But forget that for now..

      I would like to know if anyone knows why some show up as Personal Messages and others as Bulletins..?

      What should it be? Why? How can we fix it… I am sure one or ther other is WRONG..

      73 Jerry
    • Joel Yates
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
        The personal messages are wrong. They should be bulletins.
        ...73's Joel N4JOA
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: "Jerome K" <n9lya@...>
        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:08:08 -0000
        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [BPQ32] WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id ask here..?

        I still have issues with our present WP updates… But forget that for now..

        I would like to know if anyone knows why some show up as Personal Messages and others as Bulletins..?

        What should it be? Why? How can we fix it… I am sure one or ther other is WRONG..

        73 Jerry

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
          This topic started out on Packet Sysop a month or so a go, but no
          decisions
          Were ever made whether WP'S should be SP or B, I do not have the answer
          Also discussed was do WP'S go @WW as a bulletin or sent to a specific
          Partners BBS.

          Just for the record, BPQ-BBS can be set ether P or B with only one entry
          FBB if sent with @WW or @USA it will be a bulletin, if sent to a
          specific
          Call sign the WP will go out as a P, there is now way to change this, it

          May be different in FBBX.

          Mike N9PMO

          From: "Jerome K" <n9lya@...>
          Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:08:08 -0000
          To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [BPQ32] WP Update Question (not BPQ Specific.. But thought Id
          ask here..?

          I still have issues with our present WP updates… But forget that for
          now..

          I would like to know if anyone knows why some show up as Personal
          Messages and others as Bulletins..?

          What should it be? Why? How can we fix it… I am sure one or ther other
          is WRONG..

          73 Jerry
        • K.O. Higgs
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
            The reason some WP Updates show up as "B" and others as "P" is because some sysops set their bbs to send them as "B" and some sysops set their bbs to send them as "P"....... and some set their bbs to send them as both.

            WP Updates (according to my tests) seem to work both ways.

            So, why should it be "wrong" to use either way or both?

            73,  K.O. n0kfq

            --

            K.O. Higgs
            n0kfq@...

          • Joel Yates
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
              If it is sent as a P it is not going to get forwarded on to the next bbs.
              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                So.... if it is sent as a "P" it is not supposed to get forwarded to the next bbs.

                K.O. n0kfq

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Mine seems to kill SP's on receipt !

                  73 de Dave
                  gm3yew@gb7yew

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:14:36 +0100, Joel Yates <yate4899@...> wrote:

                    > If it is sent as a P it is not going to get forwarded on to the next bbs.
                    > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                    It does not have to be forwarded on, it will be merged with the recieving
                    bbs WP update and that gets send on, it's slower but less overhead, if the
                    price of speed is worth the reduction in overhead is debatable and has
                    been debated for ages on sysop@ww

                    --
                    73 Andre PE1RDW
                  • james

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                        If your bbs is MSYS, FBB, or BPQ then it receives, processes, and then kills the "P" type.

                        K.O. n0kfq

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013

                          Hi K.O.

                          I was under the idea that they had to get sent to the next bbs,,, Not just a specific BBS..

                          If its ok.. cool.. Just seemed weird I would see both types…

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                            This isn't strictly a BPQ issue, but since it's been raised  here I will reply here with a bit of a history lesson...

                            There doesn't seem to be much documentation, and sadly W0RLI has gone SK, but as far as I remember, WP updates should be type P, sent to your nearest neighbour in the direction of the "world server". I think the world server is long gone, but the idea was that it wasn't really needed. WP was intended to be a "distributed database", and rather anarchic too.

                            WP queries were always type P, directed at the world server, but could be intercepted and answered by *any* BBS en-route who had the complete information.

                            Run of the mill BBS's should NOT be sending WP bulletins. It is clutter, especially when those bulls contain incomplete rubbish that any BBS could glean from bulletin headers anyhow.

                            The system we implemented in the uk used a handful of "regional WP servers", who aggregated the P-mail WP data from BBS's and forwarded it as P-Mail to the "national WP server". The national server aggregated the data and sent out ONE daily WP@GBR *bulletin* containing only the info that was new or changed since the last update, or needed refreshing to prevent expiry. Incomplete info was never broadcast.

                            I'm not saying it was perfect, but (a) it made sure that every BBS in the UK had WP records that were as complete as possible, and (b) it avoided the madness of hundreds of  BBS's sending daily WP bulletins containing incomplete or broken data.

                            Since the whole system has now gone to pot, I suppose the only answer is to send WP@WW bulls, but ONLY FOR DATA ABOUT YOUR OWN USERS. Don't send data you've gleaned (/G) from bulletin headers, because everyone else already has that data.

                            However, the above is flawed while FBB still exists. FBB has always had a bug whereby it sent /U (meaning user entered data) updates "claiming" users who visited their BBS, even though the user had clearly stated that their home BBS was elsewhere. The UK's WP server recognised and filtered out those updates (plus other erroneous data), but normal BBS software takes the info as true (because it is /U). So broadcasting that info as WP@WW screws up every WP in the world.

                            73, Paula G8PZT

                          • K.O. Higgs
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                              Some of the "old-timers" (before FBB) believe that the correct way to send WP Updates is to use "P-Mail". That way, the "sender" can control where they are sent. In the early days (MSYS) there was no choice but to use "P-Mail".  There is still much objection to any other method.

                              I did not even know how to send WP Updates as "B", even after all these years (since 1990) until N9PMO explained how it was done.. all of my WP Updates were sent as "P-Mail".

                              However, after running tests on both ways, I find that both ways work in FBB and BPQ.

                              So, why not let the sender send it however he wants?

                              I would suggest that if the sender uses "B" then he should be careful that his "routing" does not splatter spam all over the place (in places where there is minimal use).

                              K.O. n0kfq

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                                  IF you have 80+ BBS partners in/outside of the US who is your first
                                  partner?

                                  Is it really necessary to send the WP'S out as most programs read them
                                  from
                                  The R-Line?

                                  So many of the WP'S are incomplete anyways, Name, QTH, ZIP, HR, this is
                                  just
                                  Laziness on many Sysop's

                                  And then there are the Sysops running WinFbb 7.01-35a with out the
                                  Updates
                                  Written by John G8BPQ to prevent WP Multiple Call sign corruptions,
                                  The updates have been on the BPQ reflector and my web site for several
                                  of years,
                                  One 7.01-35 user replied, I don't send the WP'S out so I don't need the
                                  update,
                                  Very wrong, again he fails to over look the reading of the R-Line.

                                  Not trying to get off tract but for those that may not know the bug in
                                  7.01-35
                                  The following is an example in the edit user added calls and IE command,

                                  the update solves this problem.
                                  N9PMO
                                  N9PMOa
                                  N9PMOB
                                  N9PMOD

                                  73

                                  Mike N9PMO

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
                                    If WP Updates were not sent to other bbs's, then those Users who haven't sent any messages would not have an address record anywhere.