Re: [BPQ32] 02-15-13 - WINDOWS BPQ VERSION

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
      The system that I have used in the past is to use packet to obtain a copy of the file to be edited ( if I don't already have a copy ) and then use Windows Notebook or DOS EDIT.EXE to edit the file. - Then I simply replace the original file with the new version, reboot the remote system, and it uses the new file.

      To work with a remote BPQ node, I would have a copy of FBB BBS there with password access, that was only there for the FBBDOS functions and the ability to reboot the remote computer. - The BBS function was not utilized or available to anyone besides myself. This allowed me to do any file function that was required on the node, and maintain the remote node from my hamshack without difficulty.

      I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

      Modern DOS machines are flabbergastingly fast. - And utterly reliable.

      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013

            There is an application to do these functions. It is called BPQDOS by G7TAJ.

            Just uploaded it to the files section.

            73, Mark Jordan PY3SS

        On 18-Feb-13 11:36, Charles Brabham wrote:
[...]

      • David Bird
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
          Thank you everyone. I will give BPQDOS a try. Nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

          This is really an amazing support group...

          73, Dave
          WA7RYV

[...]

        • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
            ELIN? Luxury!

            I still remember "copy con: file.txt"

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 20, 2013
              On 2/18/2013 3:36 PM, Charles Brabham wrote:

              > I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

              If possible, I would like to see more details about using industrial
              mini-computers in particular packet networks (Eg. comp brand & model,
              location altitude, power supply stability, frequencies & radios
              connected, additional system enclosure, etc.)

              Regards,
              Misko