Re: 02-15-13 - WINDOWS BPQ VERSION

  • Bill Vodall
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

      > The latest Windows version is 5.2.9.1. A new one should be out soon.
      >
      > The Windows code has had a Web interface to the node and aprs features for
      > a while now. The Web interface to the BBS and Chat will be added eventually.

      This will be very useful to add a user interface on legacy packet to
      HSMM-MESH (NW-MESH here.) I'd buy you (John) a pint of encouragement
      but I wouldn't want to slow progress...

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
        Dave,

        The Windows version has two SYSOP-mode commands, RECONFIG and REBOOT. The Linux Version has RESTART, which actually just shuts LinBPQ down, and expects the OS to restart it (for example by using INIT).

        The Linux version, and the next Windows version have a way to connect to a shell/cmd session over the network. This allows editing of config files. Packet links are really too slow for screen editors, but a line based edit is feasable (anyone remember EDLIN?)

        73, John

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
          John,

          I did not see those commands in the SYSOP command list. Thanks again for your prompt response. I will check this out.

          Yes, I remember and hate EDLIN. Is that a sign of age? You really are doing a lot to support us and our activities. I will be interested in the shell session when it is available.

          73, Dave
          WA7RYV

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
            Packet links are really too slow for screen editors, but a line based edit is feasable (anyone remember EDLIN?)

            Uh huh and shell scripts.....

            Showing my age......

            Jim

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
              The system that I have used in the past is to use packet to obtain a copy of the file to be edited ( if I don't already have a copy ) and then use Windows Notebook or DOS EDIT.EXE to edit the file. - Then I simply replace the original file with the new version, reboot the remote system, and it uses the new file.

              To work with a remote BPQ node, I would have a copy of FBB BBS there with password access, that was only there for the FBBDOS functions and the ability to reboot the remote computer. - The BBS function was not utilized or available to anyone besides myself. This allowed me to do any file function that was required on the node, and maintain the remote node from my hamshack without difficulty.

              I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

              Modern DOS machines are flabbergastingly fast. - And utterly reliable.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013

                    There is an application to do these functions. It is called BPQDOS by G7TAJ.

                    Just uploaded it to the files section.

                    73, Mark Jordan PY3SS

                On 18-Feb-13 11:36, Charles Brabham wrote:
[...]

              • David Bird
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                  Thank you everyone. I will give BPQDOS a try. Nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

                  This is really an amazing support group...

                  73, Dave
                  WA7RYV

[...]

                • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                    ELIN? Luxury!

                    I still remember "copy con: file.txt"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 20, 2013
                      On 2/18/2013 3:36 PM, Charles Brabham wrote:

                      > I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

                      If possible, I would like to see more details about using industrial
                      mini-computers in particular packet networks (Eg. comp brand & model,
                      location altitude, power supply stability, frequencies & radios
                      connected, additional system enclosure, etc.)

                      Regards,
                      Misko