RE: [BPQ32] 02-15-13 - WINDOWS BPQ VERSION

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
      Ok, Dave.

      There isn''t much documentation about it - just a mention in the release notes.

      To enable it add an HTTPPORT=nnnn to the Telnet Server config (or add a telnet server if you don't already have one defined)

      Then connect to 127.0.0.1:nnnn with a web browser. There are pages to display various node tables, and a terminal.

      73, John

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
        John,

        Thanks again. Was able to get right in. Intuitive and works well.

        This type of access brings to mind a requirement I have been attempting to resolve. I have a need to remotely update the Telnet USER and AXIP MAP lists. The nodes are located in places where access is extremely difficult. I have been attempting to use HSMM-MESH and a Remote Access tool to edit the BPQ configuration file and then activate them. This works but if the path quality degrades then the Remote Access stalls.

        I understand and use the Reconfig options from the various BPQ menus but is there a way to force a Reconfig remotely? A hidden command? other?

        I will appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks again, I will put the web interface to use.

        73, Dave.
        WA7RYV

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 16, 2013
          On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

          > The latest Windows version is 5.2.9.1. A new one should be out soon.
          >
          > The Windows code has had a Web interface to the node and aprs features for
          > a while now. The Web interface to the BBS and Chat will be added eventually.

          This will be very useful to add a user interface on legacy packet to
          HSMM-MESH (NW-MESH here.) I'd buy you (John) a pint of encouragement
          but I wouldn't want to slow progress...

          73
          Bill - WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
            Dave,

            The Windows version has two SYSOP-mode commands, RECONFIG and REBOOT. The Linux Version has RESTART, which actually just shuts LinBPQ down, and expects the OS to restart it (for example by using INIT).

            The Linux version, and the next Windows version have a way to connect to a shell/cmd session over the network. This allows editing of config files. Packet links are really too slow for screen editors, but a line based edit is feasable (anyone remember EDLIN?)

            73, John

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
              John,

              I did not see those commands in the SYSOP command list. Thanks again for your prompt response. I will check this out.

              Yes, I remember and hate EDLIN. Is that a sign of age? You really are doing a lot to support us and our activities. I will be interested in the shell session when it is available.

              73, Dave
              WA7RYV

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 17, 2013
                Packet links are really too slow for screen editors, but a line based edit is feasable (anyone remember EDLIN?)

                Uh huh and shell scripts.....

                Showing my age......

                Jim

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                  The system that I have used in the past is to use packet to obtain a copy of the file to be edited ( if I don't already have a copy ) and then use Windows Notebook or DOS EDIT.EXE to edit the file. - Then I simply replace the original file with the new version, reboot the remote system, and it uses the new file.

                  To work with a remote BPQ node, I would have a copy of FBB BBS there with password access, that was only there for the FBBDOS functions and the ability to reboot the remote computer. - The BBS function was not utilized or available to anyone besides myself. This allowed me to do any file function that was required on the node, and maintain the remote node from my hamshack without difficulty.

                  I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

                  Modern DOS machines are flabbergastingly fast. - And utterly reliable.

                  73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013

                        There is an application to do these functions. It is called BPQDOS by G7TAJ.

                        Just uploaded it to the files section.

                        73, Mark Jordan PY3SS

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                      Thank you everyone. I will give BPQDOS a try. Nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.

                      This is really an amazing support group...

                      73, Dave
                      WA7RYV

[...]

                    • Sholto Fisher, K7TMG
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 18, 2013
                        ELIN? Luxury!

                        I still remember "copy con: file.txt"

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 20, 2013
                          On 2/18/2013 3:36 PM, Charles Brabham wrote:

                          > I find that the DOS versions of BPQ node is superior to the Windows version as far as remote access and maintanence is concerned. It also works well with PC-104 form industrial mini-computers, so I can have a remote node system with no moving or rotating parts that can handle heat, dust, etc.. They are pretty well bulletproof, have a built-in WatchDog function, and require very little power, a serious consideration if solar power is to be utilized at the node site.

                          If possible, I would like to see more details about using industrial
                          mini-computers in particular packet networks (Eg. comp brand & model,
                          location altitude, power supply stability, frequencies & radios
                          connected, additional system enclosure, etc.)

                          Regards,
                          Misko