USB to Serial ?

  • Peter - ZL2BAU
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
      Hi John and group,

      Not really on topic but I can not go past the wealth of knowledge.

      This may very well interest others.

      I have been busy trying to get my Dumb MoDems ( Baycom type ) to run
      with Linux, I have now done this, ( not an easy task I must say ) and as
      I only have the one serial port ( DB9 ) I need to look at USB to Serial
      converters ( so to speak ).

      I have seen the odd posts about ones that work as they should and others
      that do not, my question is, does anyone know or has experience of such
      items that appear to be available at quite cheap prices.

      The only thing is that some specify what pin outs are available and as I
      require the following, CTS (Rxd), DTR (Txd) and RTS (PTT) it is hard to
      find which ones support these pins to drive the MoDem.

      I am using "Ubuntu 10.04 LTS" and the "baycom_ser_hdx mode" driver for
      TTyS0.

      Regards ..... Peter

      ZL2BAU - Waimate BBS - South Canterbury APRS iGate

      Located In - Waimate - South Island - New Zealand
      Grid Location : RE55MG ( 44.44.26S / 171.03.23E )
      New Zealand / World Wide Telnet BBS Forwarding
      E-Mail : peter.zl2bau@...
      Packet Mail : ZL2BAU @ ZL2BAU.#79.NZL.OC
      NZART Member Number : 104431
      Internet BBS : telnet://zl2bau.dyndns.org:6303
      Internet Node : telnet://zl2bau.dyndns.org
      Internet Node Call : BAUNOD:ZL2BAU-3 (44.147.210.26)
      Xrouter HTTP Web Server : http://zl2bau.dyndns.org
      BBS HTTP Web Server : http://zl2bau.dyndns.org:82
      BPQ32 HTTP Web Server : http//zl2bau.dyndns.org:8083
      Xrouter Chat Server : telnet://zl2bau.dyndns.org:3600
      Xrouter APRS Server : telnet://zl2bau.dyndns.org:1448
      Tcp/Ip Routing : 44.147.210.23/24 (44.147.210.26)
      Default UDP Port : 93 (Other ports to suite)
    • Daryll Webb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
        I am running windows hr  this is what I prefer if I have room,
        To get away from usb to serial adapters, one option     http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=pci+serial+card+linux&_nkwusc=pci+serial+card+linix&_rdc=1
        Buster kg9nd

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
          You might try the Keyspan HS19.  I believe it is supported in Linux, MAC, and Windoze.  I know it properly implements all the control signals as I use DTR and RTS here for different purposes, for rig control and PTT.

          73,
          matt W6NIA

          To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
            Peter,

            I'm almost certain you can't use usb-serial adapters with baycom-like boards. Even if the control signals are supported the interrupt response time is way too slow, and the software normally expects to see a real async controller chip.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
              On 13/01/13 04:29, John Wiseman wrote:

              Peter,

              I'm almost certain you can't use usb-serial adapters with baycom-like boards. Even if the control signals are supported the interrupt response time is way too slow, and the software normally expects to see a real async controller chip.

              73, John

              Hi John, All,

                               Thanks for the info, the MoDems are not cards in the computer but external MoDems of home
              brew design using TCM3105 chips etc.

              It is running very well on the serial port at the moment so maybe I need to look at some PCI / Serial cards instead.

              Regards ..... Peter