Re: [BPQ32] RMS Packet, Linux RMS Gateway, BPQ32 - WL2K gateway updates needed

  • Loring Kutchins
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
      Thanks Andre, I'm aware of that, and I assume other BPQ users and sysops know that too. John has been good to keep up with our improvements. It would help more than hurt for sysops to move to 6.0.0. The ones using 5.2.5.1, and those older ones not reporting to the web site (you can't see them, but local users know them on-air) are the critical ones to reach.

      Don't assume those you see in the report are all there are!

      -Lor

      On Jan 9, 2013, at 11:44 AM, PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:31:47 +0100, Loring Kutchins <lor@...> wrote:
      >
      >> WL2K Users, Sysops. All,
      >>
      >> The Winlink Development Team's recent call for software updates has been well received by HF sysops. All RMS Pactor and RMS WINMOR HF gates have finally upgraded to RMS Trimode. These are now officially obsolete programs. We locked them in the attic. But there are some sysops using old, dysfunctional versions of BPQ32, Linux RMS Gateway, and RMS Packet. (188 as of this morning.)
      >>
      >> We need your help to notify these sysops. Please look for your favorite gateways in the "Need Upgrade" list at www.winlink.org/RMSVersions and drop the sysop a request that he update. You can find the sysop's email address by mousing over the callsign in the frequency list at www.winlink.org/RMSChannels (if they appear there).
      >>
      >> Many of the older software versions can no longer make CMS connections or will throw errors because we did away with keycodes last Spring. Some of these may still be reporting to the website, however they will be impaired if a user tries to make a connection through them. They may not properly report themselves on frequency lists or maps. Left much longer without becoming current, these stations will eventually fall over the edge of the earth and disappear completely, as we continue needed CMS improvements. We hope these sysops will perk up and stay aboard!
      >>
      >> We appreciate your help, and hope you understand that a small volunteer team needs to "crowdsource" as much help as it can. Thanks!
      >>
      >> Lor W3QA
      >> Winlink Development Team
      >
      > Lor,
      >
      > BPQ 5.2.9.1 is the latest production version, version 6.0.0 is a development version so nearly all of the listed BPQ32 stations are up to date already.
      >
      > --
      > 73 Andre PE1RDW

    • Loring Kutchins
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
        I have my own RPi gateway running from time-to-time on the system.
        --Lor

        On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Loring Kutchins <lor@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Andre, I'm aware of that, and I assume other BPQ users and sysops know that too. John has been good to keep up with our improvements. It would help more than hurt for sysops to move to 6.0.0. The ones using 5.2.5.1, and those older ones not reporting to the web site (you can't see them, but local users know them on-air) are the critical ones to reach.
        >
        > Don't assume those you see in the report are all there are!
        >
        > -Lor
        >

        > On Jan 9, 2013, at 11:44 AM, PE1RDW <pe1rdw@...> wrote:
        >
        >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:31:47 +0100, Loring Kutchins <lor@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> WL2K Users, Sysops. All,
        >>>
        >>> The Winlink Development Team's recent call for software updates has been well received by HF sysops. All RMS Pactor and RMS WINMOR HF gates have finally upgraded to RMS Trimode. These are now officially obsolete programs. We locked them in the attic. But there are some sysops using old, dysfunctional versions of BPQ32, Linux RMS Gateway, and RMS Packet. (188 as of this morning.)
        >>>
        >>> We need your help to notify these sysops. Please look for your favorite gateways in the "Need Upgrade" list at www.winlink.org/RMSVersions and drop the sysop a request that he update. You can find the sysop's email address by mousing over the callsign in the frequency list at www.winlink.org/RMSChannels (if they appear there).
        >>>
        >>> Many of the older software versions can no longer make CMS connections or will throw errors because we did away with keycodes last Spring. Some of these may still be reporting to the website, however they will be impaired if a user tries to make a connection through them. They may not properly report themselves on frequency lists or maps. Left much longer without becoming current, these stations will eventually fall over the edge of the earth and disappear completely, as we continue needed CMS improvements. We hope these sysops will perk up and stay aboard!
        >>>
        >>> We appreciate your help, and hope you understand that a small volunteer team needs to "crowdsource" as much help as it can. Thanks!
        >>>
        >>> Lor W3QA
        >>> Winlink Development Team
        >>
        >> Lor,
        >>
        >> BPQ 5.2.9.1 is the latest production version, version 6.0.0 is a development version so nearly all of the listed BPQ32 stations are up to date already.
        >>
        >> --
        >> 73 Andre PE1RDW

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013

          Lor 5.9.2.1 is the latest release version…   There is no 6 released yet as far as I can tell from the yahoo website and have seen no announcements of a new version..

          Thanks Andre, I'm aware of that, and I assume other BPQ users and sysops know that too. John has been good to keep up with our improvements. It would help more than hurt for sysops to move to 6.0.0. The ones using 5.2.5.1, and those older ones not reporting to the web site (you can't see them, but local users know them on-air) are the critical ones to reach.

          Don't assume those you see in the report are all there are!

          -Lor

          On Jan 9, 2013, at 11:44 AM, PE1RDW pe1rdw@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:31:47 +0100, Loring Kutchins lor@...> wrote:
          >
          >> WL2K Users, Sysops. All,
          >>
          >> The Winlink Development Team's recent call for software updates has been well received by HF sysops. All RMS Pactor and RMS WINMOR HF gates have finally upgraded to RMS Trimode. These are now officially obsolete programs. We locked them in the attic. But there are some sysops using old, dysfunctional versions of BPQ32, Linux RMS Gateway, and RMS Packet. (188 as of this morning.)
          >>
          >> We need your help to notify these sysops. Please look for your favorite gateways in the "Need Upgrade" list at www.winlink.org/RMSVersions and drop the sysop a request that he update. You can find the sysop's email address by mousing over the callsign in the frequency list at www.winlink.org/RMSChannels (if they appear there).
          >>
          >> Many of the older software versions can no longer make CMS connections or will throw errors because we did away with keycodes last Spring. Some of these may still be reporting to the website, however they will be impaired if a user tries to make a connection through them. They may not properly report themselves on frequency lists or maps. Left much longer without becoming current, these stations will eventually fall over the edge of the earth and disappear completely, as we continue needed CMS improvements. We hope these sysops will perk up and stay aboard!
          >>
          >> We appreciate your help, and hope you understand that a small volunteer team needs to "crowdsource" as much help as it can. Thanks!
          >>
          >> Lor W3QA
          >> Winlink Development Team
          >
          > Lor,
          >
          > BPQ 5.2.9.1 is the latest production version, version 6.0.0 is a development version so nearly all of the listed BPQ32 stations are up to date already.
          >
          > --
          > 73 Andre PE1RDW

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013

            I guess I am confused how/why/ would, does one update to a developmental version not ready for general release.

            That would be worse than running an older version.. If one ran a version without all the bugs checked and fixed.. ???????

            I think I am happy at 5.2.9.1 until John releases the next version be it 5.x.x.x. or 6.x.x.x.

            73 jerry

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
              Just to confirm the postion regarding WL2K compatibility

              The Version 6.0.0.x series is an experimental Linux port of BPQ32, and is being tested by a couple of stations

              The latest released version of BPQ32 is 5.2.9.1, and ideally everyone should update to that version.

              Versions prior to 5.2.6.1 do not have the latest WL2K reporting code, so if you have any connectivity to WL2K and are running these, you need to update.

              5.2.7.1 added the option to update the WL2K SYSOP record, so you should run at least this version.

              73, John

              href="mailto:lor%40w3qa.net">lor@...> wrote:

              WL2K Users, Sysops. All,

              >> The Winlink Development Team's
              recent call for software updates has been well received by HF sysops. All RMS Pactor and RMS WINMOR HF gates have finally upgraded to RMS Trimode. These are now officially obsolete programs. We locked them in the attic. But there are some sysops using old, dysfunctional versions of BPQ32, Linux RMS Gateway, and RMS Packet. (188 as of this morning.)

              >> We need your help
              to notify these sysops. Please look for your favorite gateways in the "Need Upgrade" list at www.winlink.org/RMSVersions and drop the sysop a request that he update. You can find the sysop's email address by mousing over the callsign in the frequency list at www.winlink.org/RMSChannels (if they appear there).

              >> Many of the older software versions can no
              longer make CMS connections or will throw errors because we did away with keycodes last Spring. Some of these may still be reporting to the website, however they will be impaired if a user tries to make a connection through them. They may not properly report themselves on frequency lists or maps. Left much longer without becoming current, these stations will eventually fall over the edge of the earth and disappear completely, as we continue needed CMS improvements. We hope these sysops will perk up and stay aboard!

              >> We appreciate your help, and hope you understand that a small
              volunteer team needs to "crowdsource" as much help as it can. Thanks!

              >> Lor W3QA
              >> Winlink Development
              Team

              > Lor,
              >
              > BPQ 5.2.9.1 is the latest production
              version, version 6.0.0 is a development version so nearly all of the listed BPQ32 stations are up to date already.

              > --
              > 73 Andre
              PE1RDW

            • Jeff - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
                Suspect some of the resistance to update past 5.2.5.1 is the new MDI interface. I'm in that camp sort of.... Not real crazy about the new node interface. Personal preference..I guess. Admittedly I haven't tried the latest version, but I found 5.2.5.1 ran fine during stress testing and never saw a need to upgrade off it.

                I just run the newer BPQBBS modules on top of 5.2.5.1 and keep the software admin headaches minimal. I have no need for the web, aprs, telnet, or Winlink features in the newer versions so I get that luxury ;-)

                I think there are several folks using a v4 BPQ32 version and very happy with it for their needs.

                Just making note that not everyone runs the "latest" are very happy with current setups/versions. Obviously folks that want to do Winlink or need the other features would be best served by upgrading.

                Once it is done I'll take a look at the Linux version. Sounds interesting, but I just don't have time for "beta" testing ;-)

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO
                "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
                http://twitter.com/wa4zko