RE: [BPQ32] Re: WP Updates

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 64 , Jan 3, 2013

      Sysops often… Or used to often…

      Leave messages so their local users can read them..

      I.e.

      SB Maint

      System reboot at 2AM EST

      Hi users of my BBS

      Special notice on 12-31-10 there will be a reboot of the BBS. Sorry for timing but system needs updated before the new year.

      73 Your sysop.

      That is why a Bulletin with no @**** Addressing should not be deleted..

      Same can be done on any given BBS by a local user.. One that may want to announce a local conference but only to the sysop and other users of a given BBS…

      I think it would not hurt to revisit the older texts about BBS Sysopping and how to…  Just so we do not throw the baby out with the bath water…

      73 Jerry N9LYA

      Ill see if I can dig out any 1990 materials that would help.

      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 3, 2013
        Sorry, my carelessness here. I never intended to suggest type 'B' messages other than WP should be killedif they have noone to forward to. I assumed that would be usnderstood, as we were discussing WP messages.

        Until the next houskeeping cycle killed messages can still be read by the sysop if he really wants to
        .
        73, John

        From: "Mark Taylor" <mtaylor@...>
        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:03:57 -0600 (CST)
        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

        Why would a WP Update message be read locally?

        Mark

        Regular type B Bulletin messages with no one to forward to should not be

        deleted immediately. As they can still be read locally.

        Message-----
        href="mailto:john.wiseman%40cantab.net">john.wiseman@...>

        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        > Date:
        Thu, 3 Jan 2013 14:02:52
        > To:
        href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>

        RE: [BPQ32] Re: WP Updates

        > Mark,
        >
        > Type 'P' WP
        messages are killed after processing, type 'B' are kept until
        > they have
        been forwarded to any stations you have routed them to. Once
        > forwarded,
        they should be deleted by the next housekeeping cycle after

        their
        > lifetime has expired. I'll check why WP,1 doest get them
        removed,

        > I guess type 'B' messages that have noone to forward
        them to should also
        > be
        > deleted immediately.

        [BPQ32] Re: WP Updates

        href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com , "n5mdt"
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> My BBS has numerous WP Update
        messages stored. They do seem to follow
        >> the
        > standard
        lifetime rules, which is set at 5 days I think. At this time the
        > oldest
        dates to Dec 30. Even though I have WP,1 in the TO box in the

        housekeeping tab.

        >> Is there any reason to keep the WP
        Update messages for a specific
        >> length
        > of time? Are they
        processed immediately on receipt? On a schedule?

        >> How
        exactly do they work? When is the shortest amount of time I must

        keep
        > them? How can I automatically have them deleted at the expiration
        of that
        > time?
        >>

        >> Thanks

        Mark