Re: BPQ32 support for drsi cards

  • Danny Oudendag
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
      PA0HZP card does not work in xp in my system.
      now use xrouter and a ethernet link to bpq machine.
    • wu3v@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
        Will BPQ32 run under Windows 7 or 8?

        Jim
      • zl3rck
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
          Hi there, yes would like to obtain install instructions for xp please? Want to give this ago.
          I have a optoscc card from pa0hzp with 2 dss 1200 modems that have been in storage for thr past 15 years. Rekindling packet radio here and now have ui-view32 running with bpq on a win98 box, spent weeks trying to get this card to work and trying to remember how it used to work. I have a hardcopy of pa0hzp instructions for card if anyone needs this? Will upload paperwork when i get back to work. 73

          Happy new year
          Ron
          zl3rck

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, n4zkf <n4zkf@...> wrote:

          > And it it works fine! I am remember John. I still have all your emails from you in the beginning how to install it if someone needs them.
          >
          > David
          > n4zkf
          >
          > On Dec 30, 2012, at 4:33 AM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > There is a an XP driver, Look for BPQHDLCXP.zip in the files section of this group.
          > >
          > > It should be considered experimental, as I'm not aware of anyone using it. It might work on 32 bit Win 7, but won't on 64 bit operating systems.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > John

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012

            I have heard it does under WIN7….  WIN8 seems to be a different animal.. In WIN7 Anything I added it would find drivers… Win8 does not seem to be that smart,,, in fact a lot of what I ran here would not run under 8 so I have an XP machine running as well..

            Just so u know I run BPQ under Win Server 2008 SR2 (XP kernel).  But wanted to add what I have seen on my Win8 System…

            I do know it will install on win8.. I just have nothing connected to my WIN8 PC…

            Always worth a try and if you have time worth a try at gaining info so it can be made to do so.. if it does not already..

            73 jerry

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
              Thanks to all for replying regarding the drsi cards,does the xp driver
              work in Win2k as well or just XP.

              Thanks

              Jim

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
                I don't have a Win2000 system to try it on, but the driver models for Win2K and WIn XP are pretty similar so it is worth trying.

                John

                Thanks to all for replying regarding the drsi cards,does the xp driver
                work in Win2k as well or just XP.

                Thanks

                Jim

                On 30/12/2012 16:22, n4zkf wrote:

                > In 98 you don't have to
                installed it in the system like you do in XP.
                > Just use the driver. In XP
                it actually needs to be installed in device
                > manager like a video or
                sound card, etc.

                2012, at 7:15 PM, afa1bu@...
                href="mailto:afa1bu%40comcast.net">afa1bu@...> wrote:

                >> Yes, under 98 they
                are.

                *"Jim" <prf10uk@... <mailto:prf10uk@...>>

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
                  Hi Jim

                  yes BBQ 32 will work with Vista Windows 7 and Windows 8 however be aware
                  that BBQ 32 will be installed in two different folder locations it must
                  be done this way till Accommodate Vista Windows 7 and Windows 8 they can
                  not all in one program file

                  73

                  Mike N9PMO
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 31, 2012
                    Jim

                    I am running it in Win7 and Vista.  I tested it on Win8 just to be sure the installer worked and it did and BPQ32 did run.

                    The issue which confuses is the separation of program files from application data as is recommended by Microsoft.

                    After doing an install you can check to see if your install is the 'old style' or 'new style'.  Go to the lower left on the screen and click on start\all programs\bpq32.  From the drop down list find 'view configuration folder' and 'view program folder'.  If you click on each in sequence you can determine the location of each of these groups.

                    In an MS approved installation the programs will be at c:\program files\bpq32 or on a 64 bit OS at c:\program files (x86)\bpq32.  The application data should be at a more complex address perhaps c:\users\'username'\appdata\roaming\bpq32.  Actually this later location is OS dependent, but will not be in the format shown for program files.

                    If your install is not MS standardized, then you may be subject to annoying UAC warning pop ups.  All this can be avoided by achieving an approved install.

                    You can guarantee an approved install on a system which has an older style install by doing as follows:

                    Run the installer with all the defaults.
                    Uninstall using the uninstall line in the program drop down list, or go to the control panel and do an install from the list.  In XP it's called 'Add or Remove Programs', in W7 it's called 'Programs and Features'.  Why?  Who Knows!!!!
                    Now run the installer a second time taking all defaults
                    You will now have an approved install which places things where they should be.
                    The uninstall will retain all your configuration and in fact more it where it should be.

                    This new installer was written to accomodate Vista and W7, but actually works all the way back to W95!

                    Once this is all done, you might have trouble finding your configuration, if you are used to just using Windows Explorer to find BPQ32.cfg in the program folder...it's no longer there!  Instead do as I noted above, 'start\all programs\bpq32' and click to get the drop down list which will give you easy access to everything you may need.

                    Most 'ham' programs are stuck in the past, BPQ32 is one of the few that has updated to the MS approved install rules.

                    Ron, AE5E

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 1, 2013
                      Yes it runs under Win7, but to modify the bpq32.cfg, you'll have to got to /users/your user name/AppData/Roaming/Bpq32.
                      A bit trickier, but once it's done, it runs with no problems. Happy New Year to All.

                    • Danny Oudendag
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 1, 2013
                        The driver works both in xp and in win2k.
                        softdcd does not work with the HDLC cards.

                        I have tested a couple years back with win98 and scc that worked ok witb bpq32 and pa0hzp scc card.
                        i used irq 7 and disabled the lpt port in the computers bios setup.

                        73 Danny PA2SNK

                        Ps. i also have a bunch of docs about the DDS modems tnc's and scc cards.

                      • Glenn Bursell
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Hi Jim
                          I am running BPQ32 under win7 and so far vety impressed with the stability

                          Glenn Bursell - KAØMOS

                           KA0MOS/VE1 Packet Radio Page  http://ka0mos.no-ip.org:8080
                          Lunenburg County ARC Web  Page  http://lcarc.no-ip.org

                        • Ron Stordahl
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 1, 2013
                            So you are running the MS approved install format for Win7.  Good.

                            Just to repeat...to get to the configuration folder you just go to 'start\all programs\bpq32 and from the drop down list select 'view configuration folder'.  It's easy actually....a lot easier than trying to find the folder by searching.  Also available in the dropdown list are 'view programs, examples, and shortcuts'.

                            I know some don't like this, but if I had not reprogrammed the installer to do an MS recommended install, we would be plagued by UAC warnings.  And at some point it would not surprise me that old style install will not be permitted.  Very few ham programs have made this step, so BPQ32 is ahead of the curve.

                            Ron, AE5E

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2013

                              Im sure it will run under Windows 7 at least.  As a matter of fact, I do know someone who runs it under windows 7.

                              I havnt tried it under the test version of 8 I had, plus im not too crazy about 8 anyway.

                              Too many changes to re-learn.  I run mines in Wine under linux.

                              Are you having issues with windows 7?

                              Harold

                              K7ILO