Re: [BPQ32] DE_407a???

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2008
      John thank you for your reply it has been a while since have communicated...

      RMS has no kiss interface it only supports timewave or kantronics tnc's the second interface is agw.
      They read the agw.ini file and determine a port list. It also will support an agw interface on a distant computer over a telnet link (I imagine) and login with a name and password. That may be the way to allow bpq32 to init with it.

      I am planning to use the dataengine on another linking project related to RMS.
      I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them a few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!

      Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write another interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to communicate with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells me there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams,  I assumed the only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss ports and a null modem serial cable.

      I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?

      Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you want to send it to me.
      No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for a couple of weeks.

      Jim wu3v

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2008
        Jim,

        AGWtoBPQ works fine on the same machine as RMS Packet. You need to start
        AGWtoBPQ first.
        Then start RMS.
        Make sure that the TCP port in the AGWtoBPQ config is the same as you
        are using in RMS. In
        RMS, select 'Use AGW Packet Engine on Remote Computer' and set the 'IP
        Address to Packet Engine'
        as 'localhost'.
        Also, make sure the application mask in AGWtoBPQ is set to the same
        application number you
        have RMS setup for in the bpqcfg.txt file.

        If you still cannot get it to run, send me a copy of your bpqcfg.txt file.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Jim wrote:

        > John thank you for your reply it has been a while since have communicated...
        >

        > RMS has no kiss interface it only supports timewave or kantronics tnc's
        > the second interface is agw.
        > They read the agw.ini file and determine a port list. It also will
        > support an agw interface on a distant computer over a telnet link (I
        > imagine) and login with a name and password. That may be the way to
        > allow bpq32 to init with it.
        >
        > I am planning to use the dataengine on another linking project related
        > to RMS.
        > I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them a
        > few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!
        >
        > Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write another
        > interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to communicate
        > with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells me
        > there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams, I assumed the
        > only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss ports
        > and a null modem serial cable.
        >
        > I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?
        >
        > Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you want to
        > send it to me.
        > No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for a
        > couple of weeks.
        >
        > Jim wu3v

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
          Mark

          Mark

          1) Does AGWtoBPQ have to be started before RMS?  Ideally it could be started at any time and RMS would periodically try to connect.
          2)  If, after AGWtoBPQ and RMS have been happly cooperating, you cancel AGWtoBPQ, does RMS report this?
          3) And following up on the above, if you restart AGWtoBPQ does RMS periodically retry and successfully reconnect to AGWtoBPQ?

          Since you are using AGWtoBPQ in a fashion which RMS intended to apply to a remote AGWtoBPQ, it would almost have to behave gracefully as a link between such machines cannot be guaranteed to never fault.

          Ron, N5IN

          Jim wrote:

          > John thank you for your reply it has been a while since have communicated. ..
          >

          > RMS has no kiss interface it only supports timewave or kantronics tnc's
          > the second interface is agw.
          > They read the agw.ini file and determine a port list. It also will
          > support an agw interface on a distant computer over a telnet link (I
          > imagine) and login with a name and password. That may be the way to
          > allow bpq32 to init with it.
          >
          > I am planning to use the dataengine on another linking project related
          > to RMS.
          > I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them a
          > few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!
          >
          > Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write another
          > interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to communicate
          > with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells me
          > there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams, I assumed the
          > only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss ports
          > and a null modem serial cable.
          >
          > I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?
          >
          > Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you want to
          > send it to me.
          > No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for a
          > couple of weeks.
          >
          > Jim wu3v

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
            A well behaved application, which loses it's AGWtoBPQ connection should retry periodically, perhaps once per minute to reconnect.  So clearly RMS is not doing so as you have waited 20 minutes.  This is obviously not the proper procedure, as in this case we are using AGWtoBPQ as if it were on a remote machine...such links cannot be 100% relied upon...there must be an effort to periodically retry.  The alternative is apparently to cancel and restart RMS just to restore the AGWtoBPQ connection.

            But it's good to see that the basic things are working...the improvements to RMS are always possible later.....RMS users will have to ask for them I would say.

            Jim <james@...> wrote:

            1) Does AGWtoBPQ have to be started before RMS?  Ideally it could be started at any time and RMS would periodically try to connect.

            Yes if not RMS will complain!

            2)  If, after AGWtoBPQ and RMS have been happly cooperating, you cancel AGWtoBPQ, does RMS report this?

            Yes it replies AGWPE released

            [10] *** CONNECTED To Station WU3V-4
            [10] [WL2K-1.5.8.5-B2FIHM$]
            [10] ;PQ: 20432083
            [10] Halifax CMS via WU3V-9 >
            [10] b
            [10] Disconnecting
            [10] *** DISCONNECTED RETRYOUT With WU3V-4
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 1 @ 16:42
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 2 @ 16:42
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 3 @ 16:42
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 1 @ 17:03
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 2 @ 17:03
            *** AGWPE Beacon port 3 @ 17:03
            *** AGWPE released
            *** AGWPE initialization failed!

            3) And following up on the above, if you restart AGWtoBPQ does RMS periodically retry and successfully reconnect to AGWtoBPQ?

            It seems no, I need to let this run for a while to be sure but its been 20 minutes.
            But I seldom see bpq crash!

            Jim wrote:

            > John thank you for your reply it has been a while since have communicated. ..
            >

            > RMS has no kiss interface it only supports timewave or kantronics tnc's
            > the second interface is agw.
            > They read the agw.ini file and determine a port list. It also will
            > support an agw interface on a distant computer over a telnet link (I
            > imagine) and login with a name and password. That may be the way to
            > allow bpq32 to init with it.
            >
            > I am planning to use the dataengine on another linking project related
            > to RMS.
            > I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them a
            > few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!
            >
            > Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write another
            > interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to communicate
            > with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells me
            > there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams, I assumed the
            > only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss ports
            > and a null modem serial cable.
            >
            > I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?
            >
            > Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you want to
            > send it to me.
            > No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for a
            > couple of weeks.
            >
            > Jim wu3v

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
              Ron,

              I was wrong in my last message. RMS does periodically check for AGW
              operation. It will reconnect by itself if AGWtoBPQ is stopped and restarted.

              - Mark

              Ron Stordahl wrote:

              > Mark
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > 1) Does AGWtoBPQ have to be started before RMS? Ideally it could be
              > started at any time and RMS would periodically try to connect.
              > 2) If, after AGWtoBPQ and RMS have been happly cooperating, you cancel
              > AGWtoBPQ, does RMS report this?
              > 3) And following up on the above, if you restart AGWtoBPQ does RMS
              > periodically retry and successfully reconnect to AGWtoBPQ?
              >
              > Since you are using AGWtoBPQ in a fashion which RMS intended to apply to
              > a remote AGWtoBPQ, it would almost have to behave gracefully as a link
              > between such machines cannot be guaranteed to never fault.
              >
              > Ron, N5IN
              >

              > */Mark Harloff <mharloff@...>/* wrote:
              >
              > Jim,
              >
              > AGWtoBPQ works fine on the same machine as RMS Packet. You need to start
              > AGWtoBPQ first.
              > Then start RMS.
              > Make sure that the TCP port in theAGWtoBPQ config is the same as you
              > are using in RMS. In
              > RMS, select 'Use AGW Packet Engine on Remote Computer' and set the 'IP
              > Address to Packet Engine'
              > as 'localhost'.
              > Also, make sure the application mask in AGWtoBPQ is set to the same
              > application number you
              > have RMS setup for in the bpqcfg.txt file.
              >
              > If you still cannot get it to run, send me a copy of your bpqcfg.txt
              > file.
              >
              > - Mark K2CAN
              >
              > Jim wrote:
              > >

              > > John thank you for your reply it has been a while since have
              > communicated...
              > >

              > > RMS has no kiss interface it only supports timewave or kantronics
              > tnc's
              > > the second interface is agw.
              > > They read the agw.ini file and determine a port list. It also will
              > > support an agw interface on a distant computer over a telnet link (I
              > > imagine) and login with a name and password. That may be the way to
              > > allow bpq32 to init with it.
              > >
              > > I am planning to use the dataengine on another linking project related
              > > to RMS.
              > > I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them a
              > > few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!
              > >
              > > Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write another
              > > interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to
              > communicate
              > > with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells me
              > > there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams, I assumed the
              > > only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss ports
              > > and a null modem serial cable.
              > >
              > > I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?
              > >
              > > Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you
              > want to
              > > send it to me.
              > > No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for a
              > > couple of weeks.
              > >
              > > Jim wu3v

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                Mark how long?

                I waited over 30 minutes

                Jim

> [...]
                >> > I had 8 de-bpq nodes from Texas to Florida and when we removed them
                >> > few had runtimes of 4+ years!! Impressive!
                >> >
                >> > Rick and Vic (rms programmers) do not have the time to write
                >> another
                >> > interface (for bpq32). I have not been able to get bpq32 to
                >> communicate
                >> > with the rms application through agw. Using bpw germinal it tells
                >> me
                >> > there are no host streams availible or AGWPE streams, I assumed the
                >> > only way to get things to communicate would be a couple of kiss
                >> ports
                >> > and a null modem serial cable.
                >> >
                >> > I think if tnc2bpq spoke kiss that might work?
                >> >
                >> > Back to the DEbpq 409 image I would like to give it a go if you
                >> want to
                >> > send it to me.
                >> > No rush however I am working iin New York and will not be home for

              • Mark Harloff
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                  It took less than 3 minutes here.

                  - Mark

                  Jim wrote:

                  > Mark how long?
                  >
                  > I waited over 30 minutes
                  >
                  > Jim

                • Jim

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                      No, I didn't.

                      - Mark

                      Jim wrote:

                      > Did you wait until you got the message that it was init failed?
                      >
                      > [10] *** DISCONNECTED RETRYOUT With WU3V-4
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 1 @ 16:42
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 2 @ 16:42
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 3 @ 16:42
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 1 @ 17:03
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 2 @ 17:03
                      > *** AGWPE Beacon port 3 @ 17:03
                      > *** AGWPE released
                      > *** AGWPE initialization failed!

                    • Jim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 24, 2008
                        I suspect it will not reinitalise, mine did not. Same with version 1.09

                        Jim wu3v aab8mt