[BPQ32]Telnet

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2012
      I'm trying to run 2 bpq bbs's on one machine using virtual machine for
      the second system.
      Using the same basic setup for both, I cannot get the Telnet port to
      initialize on the virtual machine. I did change the port numbers to
      prevent clashes. The 2 config's are virtually identical except for port
      numbers and callsigns.
      One system is MARS the second is HAM. I'm wondering if the virtual
      system is missing a driver for Telnet.
      Thanks and 73
      Dave
      WB2HVF/AFA2HV
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2013
        I had this happen on winlink systems when I used usb comms. Some of those do not properly halt the scanning process. I use only comm cards that are attached to the computer's hardware bus. The most reasonable are NetMOS units I have 5 ports on my main server. I also have a couple of Compaq EVO's that have 2 hardware com ports they are around 100.00 and are well shielded.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31 2:33 PM
          Hello,
          I have 4 computers with BPQ32 and Telnet (overkill ?) Two of them with slightly older version of BPQ32 work fine on Telnet and can be accessed by my friends. The two others with the latest version of BPQ, ver. 6.0.8.1 are also setup for Telnet with different ports but I cannot access them. I use PUTTY on all of the computers to connect to BPQ-Telnet. I compared the BPQ32.cfg files and they are identical except for the port number. I have forwarded the appropriate ports in the router. I can not find why they act differently. Below is a copy of  the Telnet port::

          PORT
           PORTNUM=3
          ID=TELNET SERVER
          TYPE=EXTERNAL
          DRIVER=TELNET
          CONFIG
          LOGGING=1
          DisconnectOnClose=1
          TCPPORT=8010
          LOGINPROMPT=user:
          PASSWORDPROMPT=password:
          LOCALECHO=YES
          MAXSESSIONS=5
          CMS=1
          CMSCALL=N1BDF-10
          CMSPASS=xxxxxxxxxx
          CTEXT=Welcome to N1BDF's Telnet Server \nEnter ? for list of commands\n\n
          USER=jon,xxxxxxx,n1bdf
          USER=bob,xxxxxxx,n1ra
          ENDPORT

          Router forwarding
          BPQ32-1        TCP         8010      public IP number

          I am going nuts trying to find the difference between the working and not working ones, HELP!!!

          Jon - N1BDF

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31 3:24 PM
            Jon

            First, did you check the BPQ MDI/BPQ32DLL Console Window for Errors?

            A couple of changes in the last two releases:

            PORT
            ID=TELNET Server
            DRIVER=Telnet
            CONFIG
            LOGGING=1
            DisconnectOnClose=1
            TCPPORT=8010
            FBBPORT=8011
            HTTPPORT=85
            LOGINPROMPT=user:
            PASSWORDPROMPT=password:
            MAXSESSIONS=15
            CMS=1
            CMSCALL=N9PMO-10
            CMSPASS=xxxxxxxxx

            CTEXT=Welcome to the N9PMO BPQ-Telnet Server\nEnter ? for list of
            commands\n\n

            USER=
            ENDPORT

            Since you have 4 different computers, for a public connection your
            router/firewall will need to point to each LAN address of the computers.

            It is best to set each computer with a Static LAN IP address.

            Mike N9PMO
            BPQ32 Group Moderator
            www.n9pmo.com
          • Jon Krijgsman
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31 6:42 PM
              HI,
              After I sent my previous message abut Telnet problems, I tried connecting via the LAN addresses of the other computers and that worked nicely. Now the question is why does it not work via the public IP on two of the four computers while all four are on the same network with the same external IP.
              73 Jon N1BDF
            • Joel Yates
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31 6:48 PM

                Do you have the ports on the routers open in both directions?
                ...Joel N4JOA

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31 7:17 PM
                  Jon

                  One problem I forgot to ask, are you using the same TCPPORT= on all
                  machines?
                  This won't work, if all machines are the same port, from the public view the
                  remote
                  User ISP will attempt to connect to all machines.

                  Are you using a DNS host, ea. NO-IP.ORG or similar and updater, or do you
                  have a static WAN IP address, it needs to be one or the other.

                  Most ISP'S are dynamic, ADSL usually are PPPOP some how the remote user need
                  to know what WAN address to connect to for access of your Telnet server,
                  Dynamic
                  IP addresses can change at any time so one week it may be one address the
                  next day or week it may change, this is where the DNS host comes in to play.

                  I assume since you are using the TCPPORT users are using a terminal program
                  to connect manually? If for4warding between two BBS'S then you would need
                  the FBBPORT= which allows up to 99 different entries, this is only for FBB
                  protocols.

                  Last question, is this WIN or LIN BPQ?

                  If you are in need of more help feel free to contact me directly.

                  73

                  Mike N9PMO
                  BPQ32 Group Moderator
                  www.n9pmo.com
                • Dave Webb
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31 7:17 PM
                    Jon
                    Do you have different ports for the same function on each computer?
                    Then you need to program the router so each computer has it's own static IP and direct the desired port to the desired computer.

                    73
                    Dave
                    WB2HVF