RE: [BPQ32] Rasberry Pie Rumours?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
      Paul,

      I have a version of the node running on a PI. At the moment it supports KISS, AXIP, BPQEther, TELNET and the i2c protocol used by my 1200 baud TNC and RMF22/23 70 cms tranceiver module. I'm working on adding all the orther drivers (Pactor, SCS Tracket, etc). The web server and APRS Igate are also working. A beta test version will be available soon.

      Note this is the node only. Porting of the applications my follow, but probalby won't be for some time

      73, John

      Please is there any truth that BPQ32 might one day have a version to run on a Rasberry Pie, making it unneccessary to have a full PC running 24hrs to maintain a BPQ32 Node on the network?
      I've heard this being discussed as a possibility, and think it is a most exciting prospect - and so does my bank manager! Keeping computers running 24/7 eats up power and money. I'd jump at the chance to run a Rasberry Pie as the 'Stand-Alone' controller for my node !
      Paul ZL4AX

    • zl4ax
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
        Wow, that's awesome John.
        I just run a Node only, so I guess that'll be just what I'm looking-for! I have just one radio port with a KPC3 in KISS mode, and providing a net Gateway. It also handles lots of local radio traffic and digi-peating. Please keep us up to date with developments if the PI will be suitable for such an installation. . I wonder if it will be connectable to wi-fi? At present my BPQ32 Node runs on a stand-alone PC under XP with a wi-fi connection to the net router. I'm unsure if a Rasberry Pie will connect thus?
        thanks again
        Paul ZL4AX

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
          Paul,

          Yes, I'm sure the pi will be fine for such a system, and runs fine on wifi - I use these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AKK6SC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

          I'll post a message here as soon as it is ready for testing

          73, John

          I just run a Node only, so I guess that'll be just what I'm looking-for! I have just one radio port with a KPC3 in KISS mode, and providing a net Gateway. It also handles lots of local radio traffic and digi-peating. Please keep us up to date with developments if the PI will be suitable for such an installation. . I wonder if it will be connectable to wi-fi? At present my BPQ32 Node runs on a stand-alone PC under XP with a wi-fi connection to the net router. I'm unsure if a Rasberry Pie will connect thus?
          thanks again
          Paul ZL4AX

          > Paul,
          >
          > I have a
          version of the node running on a PI. At the moment it supports
          > KISS,
          AXIP, BPQEther, TELNET and the i2c protocol used by my 1200 baud TNC
          > and
          RMF22/23 70 cms tranceiver module. I'm working on adding all the orther

          drivers (Pactor, SCS Tracket, etc). The web server and APRS Igate are also
          > working. A beta test version will be available soon.
          >
          > Note this is the node only. Porting of the applications my follow,
          but
          > probalby won't be for some time
          >
          > 73, John
          >
          > _____

          [BPQ32] Rasberry Pie Rumours?

          > Please
          is there any truth that BPQ32 might one day have a version to run on
          Rasberry Pie, making it unneccessary to have a full PC running 24hrs to

          maintain a BPQ32 Node on the network?
          > I've heard this being discussed as
          a possibility, and think it is a most
          > exciting prospect - and so does my
          bank manager! Keeping computers running
          > 24/7 eats up power and money.
          I'd jump at the chance to run a Rasberry Pie
          > as the 'Stand-Alone'
          controller for my node !
          > Paul ZL4AX

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
            Hi John

            I'd certainly be interested in running my node on one,also great for
            hilltop use with maybe a 3g dongle.

            I have some Linux based HP thin clients (t5325) ,would they be useable
            too with the new BPQ32 porting ? I think they have Debian on them.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
              Jim,

              It should - the code runs ok on a PC - based Ubuntu system as well as the PI.

              It will be released as source, so should be buildable on anything with gcc and enough memory!)

              John

              I'd certainly be interested in running my node on one,also great for
              hilltop use with maybe a 3g dongle.

              I have some Linux based HP thin clients (t5325) ,would they be useable
              too with the new BPQ32 porting ? I think they have Debian on them.

              Jim

              On 15/12/2012 18:46, John Wiseman wrote:

              > Paul,
              > Yes, I'm sure the pi will
              be fine for such a system, and runs fine on
              > wifi - I use these -

              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AKK6SC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

              I'll post a message here as soon as it is ready for testing

              > I just run a Node only, so I guess that'll be
              just what I'm looking-for!
              > I have just one radio port with a KPC3 in
              KISS mode, and providing a net
              > Gateway. It also handles lots of local
              radio traffic and digi-peating.
              > Please keep us up to date with
              developments if the PI will be suitable
              > for such an installation. . I
              wonder if it will be connectable to wi-fi?
              > At present my BPQ32 Node runs
              on a stand-alone PC under XP with a wi-fi
              > connection to the net router.
              I'm unsure if a Rasberry Pie will connect
              > thus?
              > thanks
              again
              href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "John

              href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of
              > > zl4ax
              > > Sent: 14 December 2012 02:53
              > > To:
              > > Subject: [BPQ32] Rasberry
              Pie Rumours?

              Please is there any truth that BPQ32 might one day have a version to
              > run
              on
              > > a Rasberry Pie, making it unneccessary to have a full PC running
              24hrs to
              > > maintain a BPQ32 Node on the network?
              > > I've
              heard this being discussed as a possibility, and think it is a most

              exciting prospect - and so does my bank manager! Keeping computers

              running
              > > 24/7 eats up power and money. I'd jump at the chance to run
              > Rasberry Pie
              > > as the 'Stand-Alone' controller for my node
              !
              > > Paul ZL4AX

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012