Sub-Addressing on iPage web hosting site

  • k9drh@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012
      To save others from going through the same mistake I made here is some information about using iPage for web hosting and email.
      They do not plan on offering sub-addressing even though customer support told me they did support it before subscribing to their service, THEY ARE LIARS (MHO) and just trying to get your money.
      I am stuck with the service until contract runs out.
      Going back to gmail IT WORKS.

      73
      Dave K9DRH
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012

        Maybe I do not understand sub-addressing and may not be using it… iPage has been most stable for me.. Others have suspended my acct because I use it for Business and Pleasure… i.e. business sites and personal and hamradio…

        With that said…

        So my question what is Sub-addressing???

        Thanks Jerry

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012
          sub-addressing is basiclly tagging an email address.
          example k9drh@... with a sub-address that can be filtered on k9drh+w1aw@....

          From Wikipedia and RFC 5321
          Some mail services allow a user to append a tag to their email address (e.g., where joeuser@... is the main address, which would also accept mail for joeuser+work@... or joeuser-family@...). The text of tag may be used to apply filtering and to create single-use addresses. Some IETF standards-track documents, such as RFC 5233 refer to this convention as "sub-addressing".

          Hope this answers your question.

          I did recieve an email late last night from some tech at iPage stating that they will be upgrading thier email server but could not give me a ETA on when it would be done but that he would notify me.

          73
          Dave K9DRH

          > Maybe I do not understand sub-addressing and may not be using it. iPage has
          > been most stable for me.. Others have suspended my acct because I use it for
          > Business and Pleasure. i.e. business sites and personal and hamradio.
          >
          > With that said.
          >
          > So my question what is Sub-addressing???
          >

          > Thanks Jerry

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2012

            Thanks Dave…  I did not know.. That is kind of neat a useful for sure…

            Thanks for reply…. 73 Jerry

            Happy Holidays…

            sub-addressing is basiclly tagging an email address.
            example k9drh@... with a sub-address that can be filtered on k9drh+w1aw@....

            From Wikipedia and RFC 5321
            Some mail services allow a user to append a tag to their email address (e.g., where joeuser@... is the main address, which would also accept mail for joeuser+work@... or joeuser-family@...). The text of tag may be used to apply filtering and to create single-use addresses. Some IETF standards-track documents, such as RFC 5233 refer to this convention as "sub-addressing".

            Hope this answers your question.

            I did recieve an email late last night from some tech at iPage stating that they will be upgrading thier email server but could not give me a ETA on when it would be done but that he would notify me.

            73
            Dave K9DRH

            > Maybe I do not understand sub-addressing and may not be using it. iPage has
            > been most stable for me.. Others have suspended my acct because I use it for
            > Business and Pleasure. i.e. business sites and personal and hamradio.
            >
            > With that said.
            >
            > So my question what is Sub-addressing???
            >

            > Thanks Jerry

          • Bill Vodall
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2012
              > sub-addressing is basiclly tagging an email address.
              > example k9drh@... with a sub-address that can be filtered on
              > k9drh+w1aw@....

              Gmail does this (for free) and John has using it with bpq32 well documented...

              <http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20eMail%20Gateway.htm>

              Bill, WA7NWP
            • k9drh@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
                Yes I know Bill. I was using gmail but when I created a website with email and changed to my email that the problem occured.
                I have gone back to gmail (temp) until I signup with a new hosting service that does permit address+tag. gmail is not the only one doing it.
                73
                Dave K9DRH