RE: [BPQ32] Re: 220 ESMTP UCE strictly prohibited

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
      Dave,

      I suspect I am not complient, but some servers are less fussy than others. I'm travelling at the moment, but will investigae when I arrive.

      I use wireshark to monitor what is actually sent on tcp sessions.

      73, John

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
        In the old SMTP spec, HELO is a perfectly valid Client Hello string. However, if the client wants to use "Extended SMTP" (ESMTP) options, it should send EHLO, the Extended Hello string. STARTTLS is only valid when using Extended SMTP, so the client should send EHLO (but only if the client is prepared to do ESMTP).

        The other option that is commonly used is to run plain ol' SMTP (or ESMTP) over SSL/TLS on port 465. In this case, STARTTLS is NOT used; instead, the entire connection is done over SSL (similar to HTTPS on 443).

        73 de NF8I,

        ~James

      • k9drh@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
          Follow up and closure
          Thanks John,
          It seems as though iPage Post Office server is very Persnickety.
          John provided me with a modified version of BPQMailChat to get me up and running.
          Thanks John again.
          73 Dave K9DRH