220 ESMTP UCE strictly prohibited

  • k9drh@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2012
      Well I searched and did not find an answer in the messages so I am asking if anyone knows how to resolve this in MailChat.
      Website is new and hosted by iPage. I had email gateway working on gmail and decided to use my own site. POP works and receives email just fine. I can configure Outlook and express and everything works with k9drh.com.
      from what I know about email it looks like mailchat is sending HELO instead of EHLO before StartTLS. I could be wrong but there is something wrong.
      Here's a clip of the log.

      Connecting to Server smtp.k9drh.com to send Msg 307
      220 ESMTP Sat, 01 Dec 2012 13:01:28 -0500: UCE strictly prohibited
      HELO K9DRH
      250 bosauthsmtp11.eigbox.net Hello K9DRH [99.140.215.91]
      AUTH LOGIN
      503 AUTH command used when not advertised
      QUIT
      221 bosauthsmtp11.eigbox.net closing connection

      Any ideas or suggestion.
      OH and before anyone says it pop is 110 and smtp 587 smtp auth checked as per ipage.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2012
        Probaby my misunderstanding of the SMTP specs.

        I'll look into it.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
          Thanks John,
          however after future investigation I probably should have renamed this to 503 AUTH command used when not advertised
          since this is the real error prventing me from sending emails.
          I do not believe this is a code problem since gmail works.
          This eigbox.net server must have some options set wrong. Hold off until I get an answer from them.
          You are compliant with RFC 5321 right?
          Is there a way to capture the raw hex being sent to the TCP port?
          The fact the successful logon from the "250 bosauthsmtp11.eigbox.net Hello K9DRH [99.140.215.91]"
          It is the next commands or order of commands sent that the server is complaining about with 503 error.

          73, Dave

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
            Dave,

            I suspect I am not complient, but some servers are less fussy than others. I'm travelling at the moment, but will investigae when I arrive.

            I use wireshark to monitor what is actually sent on tcp sessions.

            73, John

            however after future investigation I probably should have renamed this to 503 AUTH command used when not advertised
            since this is the real error prventing me from sending emails.
            I do not believe this is a code problem since gmail works.
            This eigbox.net server must have some options set wrong. Hold off until I get an answer from them.
            You are compliant with RFC 5321 right?
            Is there a way to capture the raw hex being sent to the TCP port?
            The fact the successful logon from the "250 bosauthsmtp11.eigbox.net Hello K9DRH [99.140.215.91]"
            It is the next commands or order of commands sent that the server is complaining about with 503 error.

            73, Dave

            > Probaby my misunderstanding of
            the SMTP specs.

            > I'll look into it.

          • james_nf8i
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
              In the old SMTP spec, HELO is a perfectly valid Client Hello string. However, if the client wants to use "Extended SMTP" (ESMTP) options, it should send EHLO, the Extended Hello string. STARTTLS is only valid when using Extended SMTP, so the client should send EHLO (but only if the client is prepared to do ESMTP).

              The other option that is commonly used is to run plain ol' SMTP (or ESMTP) over SSL/TLS on port 465. In this case, STARTTLS is NOT used; instead, the entire connection is done over SSL (similar to HTTPS on 443).

              73 de NF8I,

              ~James

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
                Follow up and closure
                Thanks John,
                It seems as though iPage Post Office server is very Persnickety.
                John provided me with a modified version of BPQMailChat to get me up and running.
                Thanks John again.
                73 Dave K9DRH