RE: [BPQ32] BPQ32 APRS Weather Not working

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
      I'll look into it. There must be a timezone issue somewhere.

      John

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
        Bill,

        The code expects the timestamp in the file to be UTC. Is it normal for WX reports to use local time?

        John

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

          Gm John,

          I set my K7MT-Igate to GMT Time and the weather is now beaconing.  It is used for my BPQ32 Switch, APRS, Weather Station, and Ham Radio so that is ok.

          I will send a note to the WXDisplay author in New Zealand and let him know and suggest maybe that when his program generates a the weather  wxnow.txt file for APRS that maybe an option for local or gmt time !!!!  Not sure but a thought is the WXDisplay program has been around for many years john generating the APRS Weather file.  I could be that everyone else uses local time. Only a thought…

          How about any other BPQ32 Folks out there with weather stations attached to your BPQ32 switch and running a wx program that generates a APRS WX file. Doe your program use local time or gmt time for the aprs wx file ??

          Cheers Bill K7MT

        • Bill Erhardt
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

            Here is my Debug now

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012
              Bill

              In BPQ-APRS Basic setup there is an option for use local time, I do not
              Have mine checked, I use a modified Weather Watcher (internet) program
              Used for sending local WX in FBB or BPQ UIRoutine Beacons, also used for

              My BPQ-APRS WX beacon with a patch to convert text to the correct APRS
              WX
              Protocol, the following is the WX string it sends, without Rain fall:

              225/007g...t029P...b10200h54
              Weather Watcher WX is downloaded in local time

              73

              Mike N9PMO
              I set my K7MT-Igate to GMT Time and the weather is now beaconing.  It is
              used for my BPQ32 Switch, APRS, Weather Station, and Ham Radio so that
              is ok.

              I will send a note to the WXDisplay author in New Zealand and let him
              know and suggest maybe that when his program generates a the weather
              wxnow.txt file for APRS that maybe an option for local or gmt time !!!!
              Not sure but a thought is the WXDisplay program has been around for many
              years john generating the APRS Weather file.  I could be that everyone
              else uses local time. Only a thought…

              How about any other BPQ32 Folks out there with weather stations attached
              to your BPQ32 switch and running a wx program that generates a APRS WX
              file. Doe your program use local time or gmt time for the aprs wx file
              ??

              Cheers Bill K7MT
            • Bill Erhardt
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 24, 2012

                Hi Mike ,

                I noticed that Local Time and I do have it checked. I don’t think that will solve my problem as it is my WXDisplay Program (with a Oregon Scientific Weather Station WMR-918) that is putting local time in the generated APRS Weather String. G8BPQ John said BPQAPRS is expecting GMT time in the String.  By setting my Ham computer to GMT that fixed the problem. However, I will try it though and see if it works (uncheck local time).

                Thanks

                Bill K7MT

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 25, 2012
                  The "Use Local TIme" setting in BPQAPRS just changes how times are displayed.

                  There are two checks in the WX beacon code. Both the file time stamp, and the content of the file itself (if present) are checked. The file system always uses UTC, so isn't a problem. One solution may be to remove the check on the time within  the file, as the code already accepts WX files without the timestamp

                  73, John